Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ship out or buy there

Ship out or buy there

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ship out or buy there

Originally Posted by Lisa_Mick
We are currently trying to decide what to ship and what to leave. Must take OH power tools and all my clothes, kitchen items, some furniture, 4 poster bed, washer/dryer, 3 piece suite, crystal glassware, books, cd's and other stuff.
Just wondered if you guys at this same stage could advise which shipping companies to try for quotes. I just had one yesterday and he said "dont quote me but for a 20ft container its going to be about £5000." I'm waiting for the official written quotation, but my thoughts were bugger that. If we leave the 3 piece suite we only need 1/2 a container. We're moving from UK to a house we have bought in Queensland. Any recommendations and views on what to take or leave would be appreciated.
Lisa
hi Lisa,

ask crown for a quote

we have a full to the brim (we think) 20ft leaving Derby and going to Brissie for 3000pounds. That wasn't our first quote, we've done a bit of haggling but it can be done.

Sam
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

kurrikurri is on a distinguished road

Here are a few address for international movers.

I havent asked them for quotes yet, but it might be a start for you:

www.pickfords.co.uk
www.sevenseas.co.uk
www.anglopacific.co.uk
www.pss.uk.com
www.doreebonner.co.uk
www.bishopsmove.com
www.johnmason.com
www.britannia-movers.co.uk
www.national-removal.co.uk
www.robinsons-intl.com

All Recommendations in The Migrants Guide to Emigrating to Australia.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa_Mick is on a distinguished road

I know, I noticed when I read what I had posted. Ha Ha
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa_Mick is on a distinguished road

Thanks Sam and KurriKurri.

Think I will try Crown, Anglo Pacific and Pickfords. Already had Brittania out. Will see what wild and varied quotes we get from them. Thanks for your advice. Lisax
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

pominNoosa will become famous soon enough

FOR GOD'S SAKE!!! If you have a nice/new washing machine, or even better, a washer dryer, or any good appliances like a dishwasher or vacuum cleaner, TAKE THEM WITH YOU!!!!!

I moved to oz last year and flogged everything I could beforehand. When the time came to start all over again with a new house I was shocked at the expense of new appliances. And the cheaper end of the market really is crap and cruddy, unlike in the UK where you can get reasonably priced stuff which works/looks fine. I really regret not taking my things now. I sold my funky 2yr old hotpoint washer dryer for just 100GBP on ebay and had to pay the same amount for a crappy looking washing machine (no dryer) on oz ebay --just because it's a front loader (a new phenomenon down under).

I have filled my new house with bargains off oz ebay or Ikea in Brisbane cos we couldn't afford to do otherwise. SuperAmart's ok but quality isn't that super.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by midwife-mandy
After loads of research I am taking:

Nearly new leather corner sofa and chair
Two nearly new beds
Good kitchen equipment, including the small stuff
Some books
Some CDs and a few DVDs (will buy a multi region player in Oz)
Kitchen table and four chairs
Clothes and shoes for myself and two children, including some warm stuff. If it has not been worn for a year i am leaving it
Bags and jewelry
Photos. Two large pictures and one small one. Photo frames x 10.
Some sentimental ornaments etc (one large box)
Computer and Wii (all computer files backed up on disc)
Variety of childrens stuff that they just can not chuck away! (four large boxes)
Duvets
Small filing cabinet
Paperwork, five months of bank statements etc.

It is costing me around £1980 (plus insurance) form Uk house to accommodation in Perth, they are packing it.

All important paperwork in hand luggage backed up on disk and paper copies.
Three unlocked Uk mobile phones

I am leaving all off my white goods, tvs and dvd players, bedding and towels.

Before leaving the uk I plan to buy loads of extension leads and adaptors. Visit primark and stock up on bikinis etc and have one last shopping spree in Oxford street.

Hope this helps, good luck with everything
Hi Midwife-mandy

we are looking to move to SC in 2009 im a student midwife and OH is a joiner. we have been looking at shipping and what you have looks around the amount we need to take.

can i ask who you are using as this seems a good price (is it classed as half of container)

thanks

cheryl
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

welshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud ofwelshtaffy has much to be proud of

hi all..newbie here

i woundering if any one on here as used the "shared or groupage container" method?

as i was thinking of this method,as our house old stuff is not worth shipping over and to have a container to ourself would cost more than you stuff would
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lyndhurst
Hi Midwife-mandy

we are looking to move to SC in 2009 im a student midwife and OH is a joiner. we have been looking at shipping and what you have looks around the amount we need to take.

can i ask who you are using as this seems a good price (is it classed as half of container)

thanks

cheryl
Hi Cheryl, good luck with your course. I only qualified two years ago so I know what you are going through, but all of those essays are worth it.

The company is called Western and Edwards Removels email: [email protected]. They have branches in Clacton on Sea (01255 476797), Colchester (01206 571971), Ipswich (01473 225 797) and Chelmsford (01245 493912). They came round i told them what i wanted to take and they priced it. I dont know if it is classed as half a container. I made sure that they did not have temp workers packing for them and I asked what time they would be starting and approx finishing. I asked for all of this in writing and they sent me a letter with all of the details on.

I will let you know how i get on with them, good luck with everything
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:50 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

I am using migrating as an excuse to sell on my old crap and have a fresh start. I have lots of stuff that i never use and keep for no particular reason. I would rather buy new furniture and equipment that suits the style and layout of my new home than try to fit UK stuff in when it doesn't really go with the new scheme. Also I do not have a permanent place to live in Oz so would have nowhere to put it yet.

All of the stuff that I want to keep I have put in boxes and have kept a list, then I am going to get people to bring stuff over when they come
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by midwife-mandy
Hi Cheryl, good luck with your course. I only qualified two years ago so I know what you are going through, but all of those essays are worth it.

The company is called Western and Edwards Removels email: [email protected]. They have branches in Clacton on Sea (01255 476797), Colchester (01206 571971), Ipswich (01473 225 797) and Chelmsford (01245 493912). They came round i told them what i wanted to take and they priced it. I dont know if it is classed as half a container. I made sure that they did not have temp workers packing for them and I asked what time they would be starting and approx finishing. I asked for all of this in writing and they sent me a letter with all of the details on.

I will let you know how i get on with them, good luck with everything
thankyou

i think they may be a bit far out for us as we are further north. have you got a job to go to and how did you find the hospital that you are going to.

keep in touch would be great to hear how you go on

cheryl
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to beholdmidwife-mandy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lyndhurst
thankyou

i think they may be a bit far out for us as we are further north. have you got a job to go to and how did you find the hospital that you are going to.

keep in touch would be great to hear how you go on

cheryl
Have sent you a PM, Mandy
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

seljohn is a jewel in the roughseljohn is a jewel in the roughseljohn is a jewel in the roughseljohn is a jewel in the rough

Hi,

We have five kids, with all their bits, husband has a garage full of his tools and stuff, my good washing machine & tumble drier, 2 x double beds, tv's computor and boxes and boxes of other stuff including books, photos, kitchen stuff etc... Dining table, unit and chairs, kitchen table and chairs,....no three piece suit as that is going to dump!

We contacted a firm UPackWeShip and they replied with:-

To site 1 x 20' Container at your Ringwood address Must be of good access Three hours free time for you to load Haulage to port of exit UK terminal charges Export Customs Ocean Freight to arrival Sydney Port Destination terminal charges Customs Clearance Delivery to your Sydney address , unloaded & taken into the appropriaterooms. Our Price £2950.00 for 20' Price for a 40' Container £3850.00

I know we have to pack and unpack all the stuff, but if we had to replace all the items for new, it would well out spend the cost of the container.

Hope this helps,

Selena
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:16 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by seljohn
Hi,

We have five kids, with all their bits, husband has a garage full of his tools and stuff, my good washing machine & tumble drier, 2 x double beds, tv's computor and boxes and boxes of other stuff including books, photos, kitchen stuff etc... Dining table, unit and chairs, kitchen table and chairs,....no three piece suit as that is going to dump!

To site 1 x 20' Container at your Ringwood address Must be of good access Three hours free time for you to load Haulage to port of exit UK terminal charges Export Customs Ocean Freight to arrival Sydney Port Destination terminal charges Customs Clearance Delivery to your Sydney address , unloaded & taken into the appropriaterooms. Our Price £2950.00 for 20' Price for a 40' Container £3850.00

I know we have to pack and unpack all the stuff, but if we had to replace all the items for new, it would well out spend the cost of the container.

Hope this helps,

Selena
I think when you have this much stuff and somewhere to put it all in oz (ie a house) its worth shipping than buying new.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 2:38 am
Just Joined

hellorachael is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently moved from London and couldn't decide whether or not to ship or buy over here. Most of our furniture was fairly cheap and cheerful anyway. We decided we had to ship some things as we wanted to bring more than just a suitcase of clothes each. In the end we shipped most of our stuff and bought some things over here, such as a tv, bed. At the time was very tempted not to ship but now I'm here I could kick myself for not shipping more. It is so much cheaper to ship things over than replace an entire house. It is always the things that you've accumulated over the years that don't seem important at the time because they have a low monetary value, that soon add up. I guess it depends on your situation though.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seljohn
Hi,

Hope this helps,

Selena
We paid £3,000 for White & Co. to pack everything aswell! 20' container, that's quite a lot for you to do all the work! I should shop around, we only moved August '07.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.