Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ship car to OZ for long holiday

Ship car to OZ for long holiday

Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough
Default Ship car to OZ for long holiday

I may be in OZ for a total of 6 months in the next year.

I have got a quote to ship my car to Sydney of roughly £2,200 return.

Has anyone here done it and if so anything to be wary of.

I understand that i cant sell it in Oz and that as a tourist i have to pledge a bond to that effect.

I assume i can drive it in oZ with uk plates and uk licence?

How about insurance will that be a problem?

Many thanks
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

trice_ie will become famous soon enoughtrice_ie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ship car to OZ for long holiday

i cant offer any advice on shipping of cars as we just bought ours here when we moved but have you priced renting one here with exchange rate it might be cheaper, less hassle and you'd have it from day 1 with road side assistance? I dont know how your car would work with insurance etc as here tax and 3rd party fire & theft is combined into what they call rego
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

ginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the roughginstwin is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by trice_ie
i cant offer any advice on shipping of cars as we just bought ours here when we moved but have you priced renting one here with exchange rate it might be cheaper, less hassle and you'd have it from day 1 with road side assistance? I dont know how your car would work with insurance etc as here tax and 3rd party fire & theft is combined into what they call rego

I agree with you re rental but Rental of a small car is approx $1250 per month.

I have a Range Rover Sport which i thought would be great in OZ. The shipping is less than the rental.

I will speak to an aussie ins co and see if they will insure me.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search of this forum for threads on shipping cars. It's not as easy as simply putting your car in a container and away you go.

Here, this one seems to have a few responses. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=shipping+car

Last edited by Dorothy; Feb 23rd 2010 at 11:14 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 11:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Do a search of this forum for threads on shipping cars. It's not as easy as simply putting your car in a container and away you go.

Here, this one seems to have a few responses. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=shipping+car
Thanks Dorothy.

That thread deals with people who are shipping their car permanently to OZ.

I want to bring my car for less than 12 months as a tourist,as i understand it its a little easier than actually bringing a car to Oz permanently, although a bond has to be lodged.
Just wondered if anyone has done anything similar.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 12:17 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ship car to OZ for long holiday

Originally Posted by ginstwin
Thanks Dorothy.

That thread deals with people who are shipping their car permanently to OZ.

I want to bring my car for less than 12 months as a tourist,as i understand it its a little easier than actually bringing a car to Oz permanently, although a bond has to be lodged.
Just wondered if anyone has done anything similar.
Even if you import it for a short time, it will have to be Australian compliant to be legal on the roads here. This may mean converting your milometer to kms, installing fixing points for child seats (whether or not you intend to use them) etc etc. You will be without the car for a while when all this is being done. Then insuring a "grey import" which yours will be classed as, will be more expensive, many insurers might not touch it.

There's a lot more to think about than just the cost of shipping.

Buzzy
Old Feb 24th 2010, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Even if you import it for a short time, it will have to be Australian compliant to be legal on the roads here. This may mean converting your milometer to kms, installing fixing points for child seats (whether or not you intend to use them) etc etc. You will be without the car for a while when all this is being done. Then insuring a "grey import" which yours will be classed as, will be more expensive, many insurers might not touch it.

There's a lot more to think about than just the cost of shipping.

Buzzy
Thats going to be a problem for sure. I think insuring my Range Rove is going to be a nightmare. i called 2 insurances cos and both wouldnt insure me.

Looks like a 3 month car rental i think
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats going to be a problem for sure. I think insuring my Range Rove is going to be a nightmare. i called 2 insurances cos and both wouldnt insure me.

Looks like a 3 month car rental i think
Why not just buy an inexpensive car here and sell it on when you go back? Loads of people do that.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why not just buy an inexpensive car here and sell it on when you go back? Loads of people do that.

I think thats the way to go for sure.

2nd hand values seem to hold up pretty well.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 2:04 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself an ex-Wicked Camper (there have been a few taken off the road recently so they should be cheap), head for Nimbin, score some gear and save yourself some unnecessary aggro.

Forget the Range Rover and all that fuel, you can go places in a camper that a 4wd will never touch ... all in your mind man ...

What? Just me? OK then ...
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:02 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I may be in OZ for a total of 6 months in the next year.

I have got a quote to ship my car to Sydney of roughly £2,200 return.

Has anyone here done it and if so anything to be wary of.

I understand that i cant sell it in Oz and that as a tourist i have to pledge a bond to that effect.

I assume i can drive it in oZ with uk plates and uk licence?

How about insurance will that be a problem?

Many thanks
stupidity beyond belief.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Weebie
stupidity beyond belief.
Cheers !!

For 2k i thought it was worth the hassle. After further investigating it clearly isnt.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Ship car to OZ for long holiday

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Get yourself an ex-Wicked Camper (there have been a few taken off the road recently so they should be cheap), head for Nimbin, score some gear and save yourself some unnecessary aggro.

Forget the Range Rover and all that fuel, you can go places in a camper that a 4wd will never touch ... all in your mind man ...

What? Just me? OK then ...
I will put it down as an option !!!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:18 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

stupidity beyond belief.
http://www.atravelaroundtheworld.com...-tips-all.html

Agreed... shipping the car would be silly. Just buy a decent car and sell it when you're done.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 3:29 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

stupidity beyond belief.
Now your problem is you just can't say what is on your mind ... you bottle it up until the slightest thing sets you off ... next time don't pussy-foot around and come out with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.