Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ship car and furniture or start again !

Ship car and furniture or start again !

Old Jan 13th 2014, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

Murray family is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Ship car and furniture or start again !

Hello,

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to ship your furniture and car over to Australia, or sell it all here in the uk and start again !! I've enquired about 20ft shipping containers and think there may be more costs to taking the car than originally throught. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lisa
Old Jan 13th 2014, 5:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ship car and furniture or start again !

Originally Posted by Murray family
Hello,

Does anyone know if it is cheaper to ship your furniture and car over to Australia, or sell it all here in the uk and start again !! I've enquired about 20ft shipping containers and think there may be more costs to taking the car than originally throught. Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lisa
Take everything except the car. Unless it's an unusual one such as a vintage Jag or something.

BB
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ship car and furniture or start again !

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Take everything except the car. Unless it's an unusual one such as a vintage Jag or something.

BB
+1

You are not going to be able to furnish a house for the price of a container, not even close.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

+2

Ship it all over except the car.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
+2

Ship it all over except the car.
+3 Local furniture is pine not Oak
Old Jan 14th 2014, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

+4. You will be surprised at how much it will cost you to buy all your stuff again in Australia. We now wish we'd shipped more.

Not too sure about the car though.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Ship car and furniture or start again !

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments. I have been looking on the internet at furniture and saw that you can get house packages from Super Amart. From what I have seen, if we go with the top range of furniture from there, we could furnish most of the house for the price of a container. But from your comments am I missing something

Lisa x.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments. I have been looking on the internet at furniture and saw that you can get house packages from Super Amart. From what I have seen, if we go with the top range of furniture from there, we could furnish most of the house for the price of a container. But from your comments am I missing something

Lisa x.
Well you would get the most basic furniture, probably not all what you need, questionable quality (maybe I don't know), but in any case the bare bones of any household? No homely touches, soft furnishings? You generally cannot cramp all your personal effects into a suitcase, so you either leave behind or have to pay for some shipping anyway.

The voices of experience generally say to ship the lot, but if you think something else will work for you, then no reason you cannot buck the trend,
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:51 am
Just Joined

The internet tells me to buy new. The voices of experience tell me to ship the lot. The internet was winning last night. The voices are winning today aaarrgggg ha ha. Got a couple of weeks to decide, will let you know.

Thanks x.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

There's also the fact that when you are settling in to a new country and finding somethings unexpectedly hard, its nice to have your own stuff from 'home' with you.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

The internet tells me to buy new. The voices of experience tell me to ship the lot. The internet was winning last night. The voices are winning today aaarrgggg ha ha. Got a couple of weeks to decide, will let you know.

Thanks x.
Well, the reality is that it will take a fair amount of time for the container to arrive and in that time you will buy stuff unless in a holiday place with everything. We squatted for about two months with bare minimum until it arrived. It felt like Christmas.

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
There's also the fact that when you are settling in to a new country and finding somethings unexpectedly hard, its nice to have your own stuff from 'home' with you.
Agreed.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:54 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Ship car and furniture or start again !

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your comments. I have been looking on the internet at furniture and saw that you can get house packages from Super Amart.
The quality of furniture from Super Amart means you will be buying new all over again a year or two after you arrive.

BB
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Lightbulb Re: Ship car and furniture or start again !

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Well, the reality is that it will take a fair amount of time for the container to arrive and in that time you will buy stuff unless in a holiday place with everything. We squatted for about two months with bare minimum until it arrived. It felt like Christmas.

Agreed.
The thing is we only have about £3000 worth of furniture to put into a shared container that would cost £4000 !! We only have a small house in the uk. Would you still take a container. I know what you mean about needing our own stuff though

Lisa.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

The thing is we only have about £3000 worth of furniture to put into a shared container that would cost £4000 !! We only have a small house in the uk. Would you still take a container. I know what you mean about needing our own stuff though

Lisa.
That £3000 of furniture could easily cost $12000 to replace in Australia.

A shared container from UK - Aus should be about £2500. About £3500 will get you a full container.

BB
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
That £3000 of furniture could easily cost $12000 to replace in Australia.

A shared container from UK - Aus should be about £2500. About £3500 will get you a full container.

BB
I think the price of a container may have gone up a little since you came out. I have been quoted more. Yes I can see the cost of furniture in Aus is more. Thanks for your reply

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.