Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shepparton Victoria?

Shepparton Victoria?

Old Oct 27th 2010, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light
Default Shepparton Victoria?

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to get some ideas on where to look at for houses in Victoria,
what's the verdict on Shepparton?
It looks generally in the right area and a lot of houses are coming up on realestate that tick all the boxes...

Work isn't too much of a problem, i'm probably going to set up an office in Melbourne, but I wouldn't be there all the time, so commuting needs to be handy but not too bothered with a long commute.

My OH wants the beach, I want the mountains... and we have two girls under 4.

Thanks!
Jen
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Re: Shepparton Victoria?

Originally Posted by Coppock
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to get some ideas on where to look at for houses in Victoria,
what's the verdict on Shepparton?
It looks generally in the right area and a lot of houses are coming up on realestate that tick all the boxes...

Work isn't too much of a problem, i'm probably going to set up an office in Melbourne, but I wouldn't be there all the time, so commuting needs to be handy but not too bothered with a long commute.

My OH wants the beach, I want the mountains... and we have two girls under 4.

Thanks!
Jen
I think you will find the commute to melbourne to be around 2 > 3 hours. Also houses are cheap and plantiful in Shep for a reason.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm an Urban lover, however I've spent a fair bit of time around Shepparton and it's not a bad town at all. The is Dual Carriageway all the way to "Shep" these days so the travel time is circa 130 mins. The other advantage of Shepparton is there are some great towns around it, Echuca, Wangarrata, Bendigo, Benalla and Albury Wodonga all within striking range. It's one of the best located towns in Vic. Should be good for families... If your a Country lover then it's a very good choice. Plenty of water up around those parts as the Murray River isnt too far away and the Goulburn river is close by as well, so a much Greener town that some of it's neighbours.

Hope you enjoy it

It's very rare that I give a good rap to a country town.

BTW if you like mountains you should consider Yea or Mansfield.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 27th 2010 at 9:44 pm.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Have to differ, I do not particularly like Shepparton. If I was going to live up there I would be looking at Wangaratta, Yarrawonga, Rutherglen, Albury Wodonga, Beechworth. These are all nearish to the Hume Freeway for Melbourne.

Alexandra is a popular place for people to live as is Mansfield.

We are usually up there every couple of months as my son lives in Yarrawonga and his partner works in Wangaratta which is about 30 mins away.

Wangaratta has a good hospital is on the train line etc so easier to commute.

Of course Bendigo and Ballarat are in striking distance to Melbourne these days as they have freeways to the cities.

My children both spent a year in Bendigo and liked it a lot, my daughter says sits a great place to live.

My brother has property near Avoca although he does not live there and he likes the area very much.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Petals
Have to differ, I do not particularly like Shepparton. If I was going to live up there I would be looking at Wangaratta, Yarrawonga, Rutherglen, Albury Wodonga, Beechworth. These are all nearish to the Hume Freeway for Melbourne.

Alexandra is a popular place for people to live as is Mansfield.

We are usually up there every couple of months as my son lives in Yarrawonga and his partner works in Wangaratta which is about 30 mins away.

Wangaratta has a good hospital is on the train line etc so easier to commute.

Of course Bendigo and Ballarat are in striking distance to Melbourne these days as they have freeways to the cities.

My children both spent a year in Bendigo and liked it a lot, my daughter says sits a great place to live.

My brother has property near Avoca although he does not live there and he likes the area very much.
I would have to agree about your comments about Shep. I think it has a high dependancy on social payments. Other suggestions may be Eltham to the North of Melbourne which has good schools for your daughters and is commutable to Melbourne in under an hour either by car / met train
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:19 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Shepparton Victoria?

Originally Posted by Coppock
My OH wants the beach, I want the mountains...
Jen, Shepparton has neither beach nor mountains so you'll both be unhappy....

Has a great skateboard park though!

BB
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't need to be in Melbourne that often, then I say look at Tasmania and fly to Melbourne when you need to from either Launceston (1 hr) or Hobart (1hr 15)! You'll get the mountains, beaches and generally great scenery in easy reach - and it would be an easier commute on you as you don't have to drive so far.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
If you don't need to be in Melbourne that often, then I say look at Tasmania and fly to Melbourne when you need to from either Launceston (1 hr) or Hobart (1hr 15)! You'll get the mountains, beaches and generally great scenery in easy reach - and it would be an easier commute on you as you don't have to drive so far.

Shhh... you'll make the realestate prices rocket down there. Thats supposed to be a secret even excluding Melbournians.
Old Oct 29th 2010, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

crikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the roughcrikey is a jewel in the rough

Seymour seems like a nice town, on the highway & a train station, just over an hour to Melbourne or Bendigo & Shepp,
Old Oct 29th 2010, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

louiseos is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about looking at Macedon Ranges?

Beautiful area . . . can see the sea from the top of Mount Macedon . . . and easy to get in/out of Melbourne via trains or car . . .

I love it there . . .
Old Nov 6th 2010, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone for your input... it's been a crazy couple of weeks sorting out a 12 months tenancy here to last until we leave...

Plus i've been sinking into the whole "maybe it's too soon, maybe leave it another year" trap - I think i've managed to pull myself out of it this morning though!

I guess you're all right... I suppose not going near the beach and not near the mountains means that nobody wins...

I'm back to thinking about the gold coast now! We went there and loved it... going to a state that we effectively know nothing about is even more daunting then heading down under... I guess i've got a lot to think about!

Thanks
Jen
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:27 am
Just Joined

gilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nicegilesyard is just really nice

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Now there's a fantastic idea! I'm off to look at real estate in Tassie