Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

She knocked me out and took my money!

She knocked me out and took my money!

Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default She knocked me out and took my money!

A couple of weeks ago I had a minor operation requiring a general anaesthetic and an overnight hospital stay. When my turn came for theatre I was wheeled into the pre-op room to be met by a nice woman who’s job it was to put me to sleep – now I will admit to being a wee bit apprehensive about being knocked out, its normal – sure! Anyway the nice woman introduced herself as my anaesthetist and to my surprise was from Liverpool, had a bit of a chat about the UK etc, etc – took my mind off the ‘Big Sleep’ ahead and then there I was (as they say in Wales) GONE!

Now a few weeks later I got my receipts together for my Medicare refund, to be told by the Medicare office that I can’t claim my anaesthetists bill back, because her visa had expired and she shouldn’t have been working. She had a work number linking her to her payments and visa. Hey I’m very well – thank you very much but surprised this could happen?

Scot
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:06 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: She knocked me out and took my money!

Originally Posted by scotvness
A couple of weeks ago I had a minor operation requiring a general anaesthetic and an overnight hospital stay. When my turn came for theatre I was wheeled into the pre-op room to be met by a nice woman who’s job it was to put me to sleep – now I will admit to being a wee bit apprehensive about being knocked out, its normal – sure! Anyway the nice woman introduced herself as my anaesthetist and to my surprise was from Liverpool, had a bit of a chat about the UK etc, etc – took my mind off the ‘Big Sleep’ ahead and then there I was (as they say in Wales) GONE!

Now a few weeks later I got my receipts together for my Medicare refund, to be told by the Medicare office that I can’t claim my anaesthetists bill back, because her visa had expired and she shouldn’t have been working. She had a work number linking her to her payments and visa. Hey I’m very well – thank you very much but surprised this could happen?

Scot

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

think you need some legal advice Scot!!!!!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:06 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Scot
Blimey....surely you could claim that the Dr was working unlawfully therefore the hospital would not have been insured therefore your health and safety was being severly compromised. Sue the hospital for the refund..and for damages. You could have been injured and not have a leg to stand on if that was the case. VERY dangerous and the hospital should be more responsible to its patients in insuring it takes on Dr's who are allowed to work here

Good luck

Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Blimey....surely you could claim that the Dr was working unlawfully therefore the hospital would not have been insured therefore your health and safety was being severly compromised. Sue the hospital for the refund..and for damages. You could have been injured and not have a leg to stand on if that was the case. VERY dangerous and the hospital should be more responsible to its patients in insuring it takes on Dr's who are allowed to work here

Good luck
I was about to say the same thing. The hospital will want to keep this quite.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:18 am

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

That's terrible. Supposing you had no woken up at all. If I were you, I would suggest to the hospital that if they don't cough up, you're first stop will be a big newspaper and your second stop will be the court. As the other guy's have suggested, you should sue them. I would have thought, threatening them with going to a newspaper, might make them pay up.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Good luck
I was just taking it in my stride - didn't think about it this way at all - UNTIL NOW! From what they said at the medicare office we were not the first ones this happend to :scared:

I've been advised to see the surgeon?

Scot
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Anyway the nice woman introduced herself as my anaesthetist and to my surprise was from Liverpool,
Scot
A bit off topic, but several years ago I used to live in Liverpool. I was highly amused to see a sign in the Royal Liverpool hospital which said

"WARNING: CAR THIEVES OPERATE HERE"

Now, call me fussy, but if I ever needed to go to hospital for an operation, I think I would prefer a surgeon to operate on me!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:45 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Trevglas
A bit off topic, but several years ago I used to live in Liverpool. I was highly amused to see a sign in the Royal Liverpool hospital which said

Now, call me fussy, but if I ever needed to go to hospital for an operation, I think I would prefer a surgeon to operate on me!
Lol....daft monkey

Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:47 am
Phoenixuk2oz

I was just taking it in my stride - didn't think about it this way at all - UNTIL NOW! From what they said at the medicare office we were not the first ones this happend to :scared:

Scot
Did you ask how can anyone else stop this from happening?

Surely if this isn't the first time..it should be legislated against it happening again? Is it worth bringing it up with your local MP so as to raise awareness [maybe quietly till you've got yours sorted ]

Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Trevglas

:scared:
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Did you ask how can anyone else stop this from happening?

Surely if this isn't the first time..it should be legislated against it happening again? Is it worth bringing it up with your local MP so as to raise awareness [maybe quietly till you've got yours sorted ]
These are early days, the Medicare visit was today, would be interesting if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Scot
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:03 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Was the operation to get your Sporran opened ??
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bordy
Was the operation to get your Sporran opened ??
Bordy you know too much already - be warned if this goes to court you might be called!!

Scot

Would you call opening a Scotsman's sporran a Minor Op - Think on it!

Last edited by scotvness; Mar 4th 2005 at 9:24 am.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:28 am
ABCDiamond

Who chose the anaesthetist, you or the hospital ?

I'd be seeing a solicitor

Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Who chose the anaesthetist, you or the hospital ?

I'd be seeing a solicitor
Must have been the doc I suppose, not being the kind of thing you expect to be given a list to choose from! (and I wasn't). Being told you need an op, - who knocks you out was really the last thing on my mind. (no pun intended)

Scot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.