Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shark attacks, Blown out of proportion?

Wikiposts

Shark attacks, Blown out of proportion?

Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:42 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shark attacks, Blown out of proportion?

Originally Posted by Joanne
Wot if Im the 3 course meal though??!!

Jo
Then I'll swim beside you.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:47 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bordy
Then I'll swim beside you.
Ive decided, Its now a four course meal and guess who's the 4th If I go, your coming with me!!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:06 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Ive decided, Its now a four course meal and guess who's the 4th If I go, your coming with me!!
I don't go past the paddling stage Jo, I keep the swimming for the pools. Loads of them here with those big slides in them, great fun for us over 40s.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:21 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bordy
I don't go past the paddling stage Jo, I keep the swimming for the pools. Loads of them here with those big slides in them, great fun for us over 40s.
Sounds like great fun for us under 40's as well. Wot time of the morning is it there? Dont you ever sleep

Jo
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:43 am
wombat42

All your comments have reassured me that we'll be fine, hopefully Its a fear of the unknown I guess and coming from where we do, the nearest we get to anything slightly dangerous is at the zoo

Thanks guys.

Jo
The nearest most Aussies get to any dangerous creatures is the Zoo also. OZ is'nt the African jungle , it is'nt teeming with dangerous creatures. Your not going to go down to your local park in Sydney Melbourne or Perth for a picnic and have to fend off deadly snakes or wrestle crocodiles or go down for a swim at your local beach and get swallowed by a great White shark.
Even those that live out in the bush it is rare to come across any dangerous creature such as a snake. Out of a population of 20 million only 10-12 people are killed each year by all of Australia's dangerous creatures combined.
Most of these deaths happen in remote parts of the country.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 20th 2005 at 8:50 am.

Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Sharks are cool. They are beautiful, elegant, ferocious creatures. People who enter their domain, the sea, take the risk. In their domain we are the intruders. People who are attacked by sharks have only themselves to blame.

Btw, I know someone in South Africa who lost a leg to a great white & he feels the same.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

Sharks are indeed amazing creatures. The great white is an awe inspiring thing to look at. Even in pictures and movies. I'd really like to go on a boat trip and see one stick it's head out of the water. That would be amazing.

But if somebody came up behind me and did that "saved your life" thing, i'd probably shit my pants right there, then beat the living crap outta them.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 10:38 pm
Anna

Peanuts100 is on a distinguished road

I am also petrified of sharks - always have been. I cannot go in the sea without thinking about it. I just can't believe that the government have stopped the air patrol due to funding (in NSW anyway - don't know about other states)!

I know some people must think it is a stupid thing to worry about but hey, we all have our fears and as you all know they are not easy to overcome.

Sharks are attracted to urine and blood - so never piss in the sea!!!
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:08 am
Banned

djdutts is on a distinguished road

Just want to say a couple of things about shark attacks in Oz.

They are NOT - I repeat NOT blown out of all proportion. It is completely the opposite. (And I'm not trying to wind you up). They are deliberately "hidden" from the public.

Shark attacks in Australia are much more common than people think. I have studied shark attacks down under and discovered how much of a cover up they are. Believe me, the amount of people that go missing whilst surfing, diving etc are all "not just swept out to sea" or "presumed hit by a boat".

There's a chap called Vic Hislop, who's an Aussie who had dedicated his life to finding out about sharks. I've met him and also been to his shark exhibition in Hervey Bay. http://www.ozmagic3.homestead.com/Vi...SharkExpo.html

He proves that in so many cases people have been killed by sharks and councils, governments etc simply cover the story up to maintain tourism. It's amazing.

There are ways to avoid shark attacks, but two very simple ones.

(1) Swim when the sun is out (avoid early morning or evenings)
(2) Swim in safe waters - eg patrolled waters and, if possible, where shark nets are in use.

I can't speak enough about this topic, but believe me, shark attacks in Oz are much more common that 99% of the public believe. The stats you hear about "only 1 attack in 10 years etc etc" are all crap. They mean one recorded attack - ie where people have actually witnessed it and they can't cover the story up.

Trust me, believe me. Do some research on Vic Hislop if you like. But swim in the sea with precaution. Might be the best bit of advice you ever get.

www.mtv120.com
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:31 am
wombat42

Was'nt one of Australia's former Prime Ministers " Harold Holt " eaten by a shark in the 1960's at Portsea in Victoria.

Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Australia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of lightAustralia Bound is a glorious beacon of light

Stop it man, you're dragging me out of the comfort zone. I was actually beginning to come round. Then i had to google for shark attack stories didn't i. I was doing so well. I feel so dirty

Originally Posted by djdutts

They are NOT - I repeat NOT blown out of all proportion. It is completely the opposite. (And I'm not trying to wind you up). They are deliberately "hidden" from the public.

Shark attacks in Australia are much more common than people think. I have studied shark attacks down under and discovered how much of a cover up they are. Believe me, the amount of people that go missing whilst surfing, diving etc are all "not just swept out to sea" or "presumed hit by a boat".

There's a chap called Vic Hislop, who's an Aussie who had dedicated his life to finding out about sharks. I've met him and also been to his shark exhibition in Hervey Bay. http://www.ozmagic3.homestead.com/Vi...SharkExpo.html

He proves that in so many cases people have been killed by sharks and councils, governments etc simply cover the story up to maintain tourism. It's amazing.

(2) Swim in safe waters - eg patrolled waters and, if possible, where shark nets are in use.

I can't speak enough about this topic, but believe me, shark attacks in Oz are much more common that 99% of the public believe. The stats you hear about "only 1 attack in 10 years etc etc" are all crap. They mean one recorded attack - ie where people have actually witnessed it and they can't cover the story up.

Trust me, believe me. Do some research on Vic Hislop if you like. But swim in the sea with precaution. Might be the best bit of advice you ever get.

www.mtv120.com
Old Apr 21st 2005, 8:47 pm
Mount Eliza

www.mtv120.com
Feel a panick attack coming on Do they really cover up shark attacks that much? Can see the point though, lets face it, who in their right mind would swim in shark infested waters.

Not sure now if ignorance is bliss, or knowlegde is good

Jo
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:15 pm
Badge

www.mtv120.com

Whist shark attacks are probably more common than thought, I am still they are still not as dangerous as the car, I mean children walk to school in car-infested suburbs, some get hit, others don't.

Badge

Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Australia Bound
I am terrified of being eaten by a Shark, i know it is a groundless fear because my chances of getting eaten by a Shark in Scotland is pretty damn near zero.

However, my chances will increase somewhat when i move to Oz. What is the feeling of the people who live there? Do you hear about people being attacked by Sharks on a Weekly / Monthly basis?

Am i being irrational?

Damn you Stephen Speilberg...Damn you to hell.
Sharks ? Big long grey things with a sharp end.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:35 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
Whist shark attacks are probably more common than thought, I am still they are still not as dangerous as the car, I mean children walk to school in car-infested suburbs, some get hit, others don't.

Badge
And when there are shark cars around.

:scared:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.