Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shark Attack in Port Kennedy, WA this morning

Shark Attack in Port Kennedy, WA this morning

Old Dec 27th 2008, 11:13 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shark Attack in Port Kennedy, WA this morning

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Think I'll stay out of the water for now.
Well the Great White has been around for at least 5.5 Million years and they are showing no signs of going away any time soon. So regardless of if they have been "spotted" or not they are there and, as far as our species is concerned, they always have been. With any luck they always will be.

Being the only remaining Carcharodon they represent the pinnacle of their evolutionary chain. Pity we can't say the same thing. I'm sure some bigoted morons will eventually find a way to wipe them out, all because they fail to understand and appreciate the creature for what it is as a predator, pure perfection. Whenever you set foot in the water you're entering his yard and he's the big dog. Every surfer knows that and accepts the risk.

Last edited by bigAPE; Dec 27th 2008 at 11:17 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Why do the birds dive for fish when there is a shark?
Birds are looking for fish aswell as the sharks, another thing you may want to look at before you go into the sea are the waves, if you go to a beach that has two sets of waves (a set close in & a set 100m out) you will find a sand bank between them if you can walk to the sand bank swim between the waves & the flags , also watch the waves when they are breaking gives you a good picture of whats in the sea (check pic on avatar). Dont go in dawn or dusk, dont go in if dogs are in the water.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Originally Posted by calNgary
dont go in if dogs are in the water.
Because of their strong scent?
Never thought of that before, I swim with my dog every other day!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Never realised that great whites were also known as White Pointers. The news reports are using that term a lot. There was also a 5m great white off Long Reach, on Sydney's Northern Beaches a day or two ago which knocked a guy off a kayak (he was okay). I've often seen guys out there on their kayaks when I'm on the cliff whale watching. Think I'll stay out of the water for now.
You'd be better off in the water and off the roads..

Four die in 12 hours on WA roads
28th December 2008, 9:00 WST

Four people have died in an horrific 12 hours on Western Australian roads, taking the state’s holiday road toll to eight.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I told him that shark attacks are rare and rips are a bigger danger on aussie beaches. I know that's still true, but it's typical that a fatal shark attack happens a couple of days later.

Never realised that great whites were also known as White Pointers. The news reports are using that term a lot. There was also a 5m great white off Long Reach, on Sydney's Northern Beaches a day or two ago which knocked a guy off a kayak (he was okay). I've often seen guys out there on their kayaks when I'm on the cliff whale watching. Think I'll stay out of the water for now.
Funny how these attacks seem to take place around Christmas. I guess people are out and about on vacation in the sea, others are at home ready to take the news story. And the waters have warmed up nicely I guess.

The other nasty in Australian waters is the Bronze Whaler (in QLD I think) and the Bull Shark, some of which swim up estuaries. I think they might be responsible for more attacks or deaths (etc etc) and would get annoyed when their mates the Great Whites get all the press.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Well the Great White has been around for at least 5.5 Million years and they are showing no signs of going away any time soon. So regardless of if they have been "spotted" or not they are there and, as far as our species is concerned, they always have been. With any luck they always will be.

Being the only remaining Carcharodon they represent the pinnacle of their evolutionary chain. Pity we can't say the same thing. I'm sure some bigoted morons will eventually find a way to wipe them out, all because they fail to understand and appreciate the creature for what it is as a predator, pure perfection. Whenever you set foot in the water you're entering his yard and he's the big dog. Every surfer knows that and accepts the risk.
Oh, I totally respect that it's a marine environment and the shark's at the top of the food chain. I'm not advocating that we should kill sharks or anything as facile as that, because I do understand their place in the ecosystem. There was actually a great article about great whites in a weekend supplement only a few weeks and all research indicates that great whites are intelligent, highly inquisitive creatures.

People weigh up the risks at any given time before they get into the sea and they all take precautions. And sometimes, that precaution is staying out of the water after a shark sighting. The beaches are closed in Perth right now for that reason.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
You'd be better off in the water and off the roads..

Four die in 12 hours on WA roads
28th December 2008, 9:00 WST

Four people have died in an horrific 12 hours on Western Australian roads, taking the state’s holiday road toll to eight.
Yes, the road's probably the riskiest environment for homo sapiens.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the road's probably the riskiest environment for homo sapiens.
As I've mentioned on another thread, yesterday some pissed kid slammed headon into a family's car hospitalising the mother and son. The book will be thrown, unsecured load, bald tyres, over 0.05, causing serious injury, failure to remain at the scene.....

He did a runner (but got caught). If it was not for the fact I was busy protecting the engine from cooking, I would have effing tackled the arse myself.

Now that is *bottom* of the food chain.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Sorry but I must say some people talk complete crap. Fancy saying we should have full respect for the sharks because they basically rule the sea. A bloke was killed and a family is distraught so why shouldn't we try to hunt down the shark and kill it - it may be responsible for killing a young child in a day or so! I'm sure a few rounds would simply prove it is not always king of the waves.
Don't yet know how defences are made, ie nets etc, but I can't understand how the Aus government cannot make certain areas defensive against such predators, ie block off certain areas which allow for swimming etc safely.
Just a statistic, but apparently there are more people killed by fallen coconuts each year than by sharks!!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Sorry but I must say some people talk complete crap. Fancy saying we should have full respect for the sharks because they basically rule the sea. A bloke was killed and a family is distraught so why shouldn't we try to hunt down the shark and kill it - it may be responsible for killing a young child in a day or so! I'm sure a few rounds would simply prove it is not always king of the waves.
Don't yet know how defences are made, ie nets etc, but I can't understand how the Aus government cannot make certain areas defensive against such predators, ie block off certain areas which allow for swimming etc safely.
Just a statistic, but apparently there are more people killed by fallen coconuts each year than by sharks!!
How do you know which shark killed the guy? You can't go killing every one of them. As others have said, you go in the sea you have to abide by the rules of the sea and accept that something bigger and uglier (sometimes) may decide you're dinner.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

Actually this post stinks of total crap. Would you kill a cat because it killed a bird? It is natures way and we are all part of it. Like it or not the sea is not our natural habitat and if you choose to go into it there are risks that you have to take (which the poor man that died and his family understood). Not to mention that the Great White is an endangered species.

As for shark nets, they are in use in some places, but most people that are killed or injured by sharks are swimming/surfing in places that would be out of net zones, so nothing is solved. BTW the Aus Government do block off areas for safer swimming, they are called swimming pools. As for coconuts falling what a stupid statement!
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Weird Fish
Actually this post stinks of total crap. Would you kill a cat because it killed a bird? It is natures way and we are all part of it. Like it or not the sea is not our natural habitat and if you choose to go into it there are risks that you have to take (which the poor man that died and his family understood). Not to mention that the Great White is an endangered species.

As for shark nets, they are in use in some places, but most people that are killed or injured by sharks are swimming/surfing in places that would be out of net zones, so nothing is solved. BTW the Aus Government do block off areas for safer swimming, they are called swimming pools. As for coconuts falling what a stupid statement!
Right On ! We have ruined and raped the land and all its creatures so leave the sea alone (as if, thats ruined too). Just go to the Perth zoo and read about every animal thats been wiped out. It's just too bad a man who really loved the sea and respected all life was taken.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

not a stupid statement - it's surprisingly a true fact.
I disagree with you about this being a stupid site - just that we all have our own opinions. I still think we should kill the great Whites if they pose a danger, unless of course we can lead them away. C'mon sharky sharky? Why not kill a cat for killing a wee bird if it's not killing it for food! Ooh a sense a can of worms being opened! Lol
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not kill a cat for killing a wee bird if it's not killing it for food! Ooh a sense a can of worms being opened! Lol
The shark though, presumably, was killing for food so he/she wasn't doing anything wrong so shouldn't be killed. Hardly a can of worms unless you want it to be.
Old Dec 28th 2008, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

not a stupid statement - it's surprisingly a true fact.
I disagree with you about this being a stupid site - just that we all have our own opinions. I still think we should kill the great Whites if they pose a danger, unless of course we can lead them away. C'mon sharky sharky? Why not kill a cat for killing a wee bird if it's not killing it for food! Ooh a sense a can of worms being opened! Lol
OK...and what do you propose to do with horses? More people killed in Australia annually due to horses than sharks.

...and of course, by your (il)logic, we need to be doing something about all them nasty cars as well....every time there is a road fatality we better go out and hunt some cars down...we'll all feel so much better after that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.