Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shark Attack in Port Kennedy, WA this morning

Old Dec 27th 2008, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shark Attack in Port Kennedy, WA this morning

Bit daft going for a swim at 7 in the morning, shark breakfast time...
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calNgary
I think everyone needs to be careful, i went for a surf last weekend on the gold coast a shark past under my board about 3m long, i should of got out 10mins before when i noticed a lot of birds diving for fish, this was inside the shark nets about 50m from beach.
Why do the birds dive for fish when there is a shark?
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:37 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds sick I know, but we all got to eat. Can't blame a rock for being a rock.

I do feel very sorry for the family. I couldn't even bring myself to image this happening to ours
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:37 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Birds are after the fish, same as the shark.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

just seen this on the news - how horrid x my family's thoughts are with the family

a great white ? they think it is
Old Dec 27th 2008, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Kryptonix will become famous soon enoughKryptonix will become famous soon enough

Yeah that's awful, especially what with it being Christmas (although obv awful at any time of year).

Some avoidance tips, some are obvious..some maybe not.

http://www.auscyber.net/shark/recommendations.html

Must admit I didn't know about the bird thing.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:07 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

just a bit of an update, yes it was a great white, yes it looks like 4 metres long,-they had spotted one just up the bay at point peron this afternoon (I fell off the jet ski there yesterday!)- they have filmed it and shown it on tv this evening, it seems fair to assume its the same one.
the family are still waiting for news, nothing yet found, though speculation of a piece of diving suit matching the victims has apparently been found.
they have closed the whole of warnbro sound for the forseeable future - the bay here is 10kms long. the helicopters are still flying overhead I assume still searching. I really do hope they find him for the families piece of mind if nothing, it really is a dreadful thing. the family have apparently said that they mustn't hunt the shark as the victim was against retaliation as he says that sort of thing is just natures way.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:20 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
the family have apparently said that they mustn't hunt the shark as the victim was against retaliation as he says that sort of thing is just natures way.
Very true. We must remember we are guests in it's domain.

You can play in a Lions enclosure. Sometimes the lion will be asleep, sometimes it will ignore you, but from time to time it will do what comes naturally. Most people who spend their free time in the ocean know this.

I feel for the man and his family, as any human would, but I also understand that we are not the top dog in that environment.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:46 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

just a bit of an update, yes it was a great white, yes it looks like 4 metres long,-they had spotted one just up the bay at point peron this afternoon (I fell off the jet ski there yesterday!)- they have filmed it and shown it on tv this evening, it seems fair to assume its the same one.
the family are still waiting for news, nothing yet found, though speculation of a piece of diving suit matching the victims has apparently been found.
they have closed the whole of warnbro sound for the forseeable future - the bay here is 10kms long. the helicopters are still flying overhead I assume still searching. I really do hope they find him for the families piece of mind if nothing, it really is a dreadful thing. the family have apparently said that they mustn't hunt the shark as the victim was against retaliation as he says that sort of thing is just natures way.
Thanks for the update.

Cottesloe Beach was evacuated the other day due to a shark sighting.

I must admit it doesnt make sense to hunt the shark, dont see the point - there are many more out there waiting for the same opportunity.

His poor family.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Kill them I say - and then eat them - they taste bloody nice!! Thoughts go out to the family
Old Dec 27th 2008, 12:47 pm
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey we were off to Penguin Island tomorrow, (kayaking over) not any more, i think i will stick to staying at home by the pool. I feel for the poor man's family tonight, what a tragedy,
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:21 pm
aka Mrs Stressalot

jasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nicejasb is just really nice

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
I think its not because there is a shark but because there is a large shoal of fish - which attracts everything that is partial to a good munch - including sharks, dolphins, birds etc. Where there's food - there's predators!
Old Dec 27th 2008, 1:41 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

What are they hoping to find? Bits of him? Or most of him minus a chunk. Never actually thought about it and just wondered.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really niceGazzap is just really nice

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I must admit it doesnt make sense to hunt the shark, dont see the point - there are many more out there waiting for the same opportunity.
(
Always makes me wonder, that one. Do people seriously think they aren't around ALL the time?

Most keen surfers were still in the water today fairly nearby, as will I in the morning. You should know the risk is always there, and make judgements accordingly, no different to crossing a busy road really.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Such a tragedy about the family in Perth. I was chatting to my brother back home on Christmas Day and he mentioned that he'd never go swimming in Australia because of the sharks. I told him that shark attacks are rare and rips are a bigger danger on aussie beaches. I know that's still true, but it's typical that a fatal shark attack happens a couple of days later.

Never realised that great whites were also known as White Pointers. The news reports are using that term a lot. There was also a 5m great white off Long Reach, on Sydney's Northern Beaches a day or two ago which knocked a guy off a kayak (he was okay). I've often seen guys out there on their kayaks when I'm on the cliff whale watching. Think I'll stay out of the water for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.