Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shark alert at popular beach - Perth

Shark alert at popular beach - Perth

Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:05 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shark alert at popular beach - Perth

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...2-1245,00.html

LIFEGUARDS closed two beaches early today after a 3m shark approached a boat training just off-shore.
About 100 swimmers were evacuated from the water after the North Cottesloe Surf Life Saving crew spotted the shark 200m off the popular Perth beach just before 7am.

Surf Life Saving Western Australia operations manager Grant Trew said the five lifesavers on board were shaken but returned to shore safely to raise the alarm.

"The shark approached the boat and it hung around for a while then left without incident," Mr Trew said. "Eyewitnesses said it looked like a bronze whaler."

North Cottesloe and Cottesloe beaches were closed while a plane conducting whale surveys nearby scanned the coast for any further sign of the shark.

The all-clear was announced about 8.30am but lifeguards remained on alert in case the shark came back.

Mr Trew said each sighting was taken very seriously and there was an effective drill for the situation carried out in conjunction with the Department of Fisheries and the Water Police.

He said it was rare to have a confirmed shark sighting so close to shore. It was more usual to see sharks while fishing several kilometres out.

In November 2000, Perth businessman Ken Crew was killed by a 4m white pointer shark while finishing his morning swim in waist-high water at Cottesloe beach.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:52 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Re: Shark alert at popular beach - Perth

In November 2000, Perth businessman Ken Crew was killed by a 4m white pointer shark while finishing his morning swim in waist-high water at Cottesloe beach.[/QUOTE]

I was on Rottenest Island when that happened and lived in Cottesloe at the time. When the coast guard flew over the sea after the incident I was shocked to see so many sharks in close proximity to the beach - all different kinds, not right on the beach, but near enough.

I know it their domain and it would never stop me going in the sea, but I might invest in a pool when I get there!!!!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 7:57 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claire edwards
I know it their domain and it would never stop me going in the sea, but I might invest in a pool when I get there!!!!

its a food chain thing and the sharks are higher up that we are when its in their environment

sharks goto eat
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:00 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

Originally Posted by steve`o
its a food chain thing and the sharks are higher up that we are when its in their environment

sharks goto eat
Yeah, I just don't want to be shark fodda.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:03 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I just don't want to be shark fodda.
youve more chance of been hit by lightning
than been eaten by a shark
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:07 am
Life is good

It would never stop me going in the sea and I have swam with sharks before -2m black tips in Thailand, not the eating kind, but still enough for the old breathing to quicken!
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:10 am
Worongary

It would never stop me going in the sea and I have swam with sharks before -2m black tips in Thailand, not the eating kind, but still enough for the old breathing to quicken!
i`ve seen white tip reef sharks ( up close ) whilst on a live aboard in the red sea ( diving hol ) awesome
also got to meetup with a huge shoal of baraacuda
and for me that was much more frightning

regards steve
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:23 am
Life is good

Originally Posted by steve`o
i`ve seen white tip reef sharks ( up close ) whilst on a live aboard in the red sea ( diving hol ) awesome
also got to meetup with a huge shoal of baraacuda
and for me that was much more frightning

regards steve
I went deep sea fishing in Mexico one year and two killer whales came to check us out - that was an amazing experience.
Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:35 am
Life is good

You know that scene in Jaws when they are on the boat at night, when they are getting drunk......

Have you got any scars?
Old Oct 15th 2005, 12:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Guess where my wife has gone this morning to go snorkelling?

You guessed it, Cottesloe!!!

She's taking part in a reef survey, identifying fish for CALM. I did try to talk her out of it but she wanted to go...

Apparently it was a great white not a bronze whaler, but hey, they all can eat you...
Old Oct 15th 2005, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Guess where my wife has gone this morning to go snorkelling?

You guessed it, Cottesloe!!!

She's taking part in a reef survey, identifying fish for CALM. I did try to talk her out of it but she wanted to go...

Apparently it was a great white not a bronze whaler, but hey, they all can eat you...
emmm what a great place to send the MIL
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:04 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys ... the ocean water swimming season down here in Victoria is less than 2 months away ...

Regards.