Reload this Page >

Shared Accommodation Question

Shared Accommodation Question

Old Jul 31st 2011, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Volcanic is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Shared Accommodation Question

Hi everybody,

I intend to rent a shared property, but I don't have any experience in this regard in Australia.

I have two questions which I would appreciate it if you would shed a light on:

1- Will there be a written contract signed by a real estate agent, me and the tenant(s) who are already renting the place? I have heard that in some cases there is no real estate agency (and no paper contract) involved and in fact the parties only have a oral contract.

I am the type of person who likes everything to be completly transparent and legally binding and an oral contract is not my favourite. I mean, what if the other tenant(s) suddenly decide to ask me to move out before the expiry date of the oral contract? How can I prove to RTA there has been a oral contract between us?

2- If any damage is done to the property by other tenant(s) in the shared area e.g. lounge, kitchen etc., what should I do if they blame it on me?

Sorry for my noob questions, but this is only my first experience of renting a shared accommodation in Australia.

Any other helpful hint about the shared accommodation renting is highly appreciated.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 10:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shared Accommodation Question

Originally Posted by Volcanic
Hi everybody,

I intend to rent a shared property, but I don't have any experience in this regard in Australia.

I have two questions which I would appreciate it if you would shed a light on:

1- Will there be a written contract signed by a real estate agent, me and the tenant(s) who are already renting the place? I have heard that in some cases there is no real estate agency (and no paper contract) involved and in fact the parties only have a oral contract.

I am the type of person who likes everything to be completly transparent and legally binding and an oral contract is not my favourite. I mean, what if the other tenant(s) suddenly decide to ask me to move out before the expiry date of the oral contract? How can I prove to RTA there has been a oral contract between us?

2- If any damage is done to the property by other tenant(s) in the shared area e.g. lounge, kitchen etc., what should I do if they blame it on me?

Sorry for my noob questions, but this is only my first experience of renting a shared accommodation in Australia.

Any other helpful hint about the shared accommodation renting is highly appreciated.
Which State are you moving to? Some rules differ from place to place
Old Jul 31st 2011, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

JAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really niceJAMFC is just really nice

I've been in share houses in WA, NSW & QLD.

In WA I had the lease and got a 'friend of a friend' in, he didn't sign anything. In NSW I just got the room through a newspaper ad - didn't sign anything, the guy I shared with had the lease. In QLD I moved in with friends, they had the lease, I didn't sign anything. This was all a long time ago 10-20 yrs ago so I don't know if practices have changed now.

What I do know though is that in QLD all people living at an address *should* be on the rental agreement. However, we have an investment property and the last time we visited it was obvious that more people than were on the lease were living there.

In your case I would suggest you taking out the actual lease and then getting any additional tenants added to the lease - not sure what would happen with the bond etc though. (Sorry, not much help!)
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Volcanic is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to rent a shared property in Gold Coast, QLD.

While thanking you both for the replies, I would appreciate other ideas/experiences.

Cheers,