Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Share your OZ experience pleeeeeeeeeeease

View Poll Results: How did it take you to find a job?
2 weeks
26.92%
within 1 month
26.92%
within 3 months
25.00%
within 5 months
9.62%
more than 5 months
11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Share your OZ experience pleeeeeeeeeeease

Old Oct 16th 2004, 4:41 am
PommieLeague

Default Re: Share your OZ experience pleeeeeeeeeeease

Thank the Lord, only a day!!! So put your trust in Jesus!!!!

I emailed the application off just before I went to bed on Wednesday night, and Thurs morning I got woken up by a phone call for an interview that morning before lunch!!!
Next day whilst we were at Hillary's Boat Harbour, my mobile rang and I was offered the job!! Yippeee
Ive even got a week off before I start to get over the honeymoon!!

Old Oct 16th 2004, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

mfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Thank the Lord, only a day!!! So put your trust in Jesus!!!!

I emailed the application off just before I went to bed on Wednesday night, and Thurs morning I got woken up by a phone call for an interview that morning before lunch!!!
Next day whilst we were at Hillary's Boat Harbour, my mobile rang and I was offered the job!! Yippeee
Ive even got a week off before I start to get over the honeymoon!!
you are the luckiest person -uptill now- on the forum

good luck for the others
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

mfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura aboutmfarouk has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Share your OZ experience pleeeeeeeeeeease

anymore voters or experiences are so wromly welcomed.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Share your OZ experience pleeeeeeeeeeease

any shares will be appreciated.

Last edited by mfarouk; Oct 21st 2004 at 12:27 am.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:26 am
rudo1ph

Answering for my hubby - I'm a "lady of leisure" with 3 kiddies to run around after!!!

He was offered a job before we arrived here (in fact he was offered it twice - he turned it down the first time as we were locked into a rental contract which was difficult to get out of at the time). Company were going to bring us on a 4 year temp visa, but two weeks after the job offer arrived our PR was granted - how's that for timing!!!!

I guess we got lucky. Good luck with your job hunting.

Rudi

Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:29 am
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point

only took us 3 days and my husband was offered 4 jobs all in one go - pick of the crop!!!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 4:55 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by martywild
I apply and get quick, positive responses from recruitment consultants only to be let down within a few days.
Any tips on getting a job would be appreciated!
Had pretty much the same experience. In the end I used the phone book to shortlist companies I wanted to work for. Printed some copies of my CV and took them there myself. I also went to the trouble to find out the name of the head of the department I wanted to work in so I could address the envelope to him / her. 1 week later I had a job.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Share your OZ experience pleeeeeeeeeeease

Originally Posted by banjo
Had pretty much the same experience. In the end I used the phone book to shortlist companies I wanted to work for. Printed some copies of my CV and took them there myself. I also went to the trouble to find out the name of the head of the department I wanted to work in so I could address the envelope to him / her. 1 week later I had a job.
fantastic , and good luck for the others
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I was six weeks and hubby was 10 days although he is a chippy.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 2:29 pm
PommieLeague

Talking Re: Share your OZ experience pleeeeeeeeeeease

Originally Posted by Carrianne
although he is a chippy.
Can he get mushy peas? I need some?

Old Oct 21st 2004, 2:51 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Can he get mushy peas? I need some?

Do they have a BiLo where you are, as they sell them in there.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

any share or thoughts are welcomed
thank you all
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 1:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It took me about 6 weeks.

I applied for about 7 or 8 jobs, had two interviews. During the first interview I found out more about the job and told them I didn't want it.

I spent about a week doing my Response to Selection Criteria for the job at the University which I really wanted and subsequently got.

For many Aussie jobs you need to do a selection criteria response, and it it a real art form. You have to write it just so, interpreting the way the criteria are worded in order to craft each response accordingly. Get it wrong and you dramatically reduce your chance of an interview.

Been at UWA 18 months and it's still the best job I've ever had.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 3:58 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Probably about 6 weeks, and about 4 weeks of that seriously looking. My problem was that my knowledge and contacts were very UK specific (I was working in media relations) - over here, no one would give my CV a second look because I didn't have experience or contacts in the Sydney media. So I've taken a sideways step and have taken a job in corporate communications - it's not ideal, I've taken a pay cut, it's on a contract, but it will do as a first step on the ladder.

PS this is actually my second job. First job I stuck out for eight days before admitting defeat and running away from the company VERY QUICKLY.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:52 am
ABCDiamond

I am curious to know what visa's the 5 who have so far voted "more than 5 months", arrived on. AND, what type of jobs they are/were looking for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.