Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shame on you Australia

Shame on you Australia

Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:21 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shame on you Australia

Thanks to the OP for starting this debate - I find it really interesting.

I think people often only see one side of this issue from outside Australia - it seems very straightforward, the indiginious population should have 'more rights' and apologies and so on. But in reality there are many different angles on what is a hugely complex issue, as has been illustrated in the many posts in this thread. For myself, I don't believe I know enough - yet - about this issue to venture any further personal opinion but I was reminded of a newsitem I saw in recent months reporting that the United Nations believes that the Australian government is 'not living up to its international human rights obligations regarding Indigenous people'. Also this Amnesty International article might be of interest to those following this thread:
http://www.amnesty.org.au/news/comments/21626/
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no answer I'm afraid, the reality is we'll just have to put up with things until they sort themselves over a few generations.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
As if to reinforce some of my earlier comments...thankyou to the Hey Hey crew for letting the rest of the world know what I already do!!! lol Brilliant timing!!

http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertain...701093476.html

I am loving the final comment......“It's true that racism exists in all countries (the usual Australian apologists' excuse), but Australia are the world champions,” wrote one reader.
Just an aside but I knew a young AFL player who after establishing himself in the world of AFL, went home to his little town outback to become a virtual outcast as he had money and status. It isnt uncommon for some aborigines to become isolated in their rural communities because theyve bettered themselves albeit the 'white way'. Really is a complex problem.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
At some point, we all have to overcome our history & move forward!

Undoubtedly, there were wrongs in the past but there have been $$$$$ thrown at providing solutions. People have to want to help themselves. In the communities that have gone dry, they have shown reduced abuse, improved school attendance etc. The people who don't like it have moved to other areas rather than change their behaiviour. There are scholarships etc etc offered, why the shame?
If people are given good housing, be it in the UK or Aus, be they white or otherwise, & they decide to trash it because they are drunk or high, why does that bring shame to the govt concerned?
If kids die because expectant mums do not access the healthcare provided, stop smoking, drinking or doing drugs, abuse their kids or malnourish them, who's fault is that? People do have choices. The Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander people have choices.

One of the issues i have seen on my few visits to Indigenous communities is that health, social and community plans that work and succeed are often starved or deprived of funds. In addition basic services are neglected with little cause of appeal. A good example of the latter is the last time i visited Mt Margret community. It cannot use natural or bore water as it is so heavily contaminated from the mining, so they have a water tank. during the middle of summer the council changed contractors, presumably to save money but didn't asure continuity. Consequently the water ran dry and the community had to drink toxic water. It took several weeks to sort this. can you imagine if your water was cut off how quickly you woud expect the council to come and fix it. access to doctors is limited and anything that isn't processed or bad for you costs 3 times what it does in Perth. I think the lack of self esteem and pride is what is killing these communities, they have had so much done to them in the past with impunity that they have lost the will to fight. When you see a community that does have self determination, good leadership and resources at it's disposal it is a completely different picture, for example the Arnham land community up near Nhullunbuy, they have great schools, jobs and a future which they control. the main difference appears to be that apart from the forced imposition of a bauxite mine thye have been left alone to establish their own comunities.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

In some ways the way Aboriginals are treated is the same way most Brits view the "Northern Ireland issue". (or at least how it was when I left UK in 2000)

Pretty much along the view of.....it has been going on so long/nothing has worked so far/ what solutions are likely to help/ what????
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
In some ways the way Aboriginals are treated is the same way most Brits view the "Northern Ireland issue". (or at least how it was when I left UK in 2000)

Pretty much along the view of.....it has been going on so long/nothing has worked so far/ what solutions are likely to help/ what????
Aborigines and the Northern Irish? Cant see any similarities myself.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
A shared love of alcohol?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:52 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Whilst white folks are standing around drinking champagne and discussing the plight of the aborigines, they keep living their lives. Seems to me that its a culture where half of them want to manage their own affairs via now defunct ATSIC - (the chairman, Geoff Clark was the instigator of gang rapes in the 70's) and a reliance on 'white man' system of financial band aid solutions.

I'd like to think we could hand over the reins to them completely but it seems theyre more accustomed to a victim mentality than they like to admit. Theyve lost their way and it really is up to THEM to make a difference and time for white folks to stop fawning over them.
You can't help people that don't want to help themeselves. The governemnt has given Aboriginies a massive amount of land and billions of dollars and they are still dirt poor, If you were to take 300,000 poor Chinese villages and give them a whole heap of land in OZ and a whole heap of money in 10 years time they would have built another Hong Kong in OZ and they would all be multi millionres living in mansions.

Last edited by mohogony; Oct 8th 2009 at 4:58 am.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 4:54 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Both are as economically weak as a kitten if left unassisted. Sad but true.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mohogony
You can't help people that don't want to help themeselves. The governemnt has given Aboriginies a massive amount of land and billions of dollars and they are still dirt poor, If you were to take 300,000 poor Chinese villages and give them a whole heap of land in OZ and a whole heap of money in 10 years time they would have built another Hong Kong in OZ and they would all be multi millionres living in mansions.
the problem is that nothing in the 'giving stakes' is what it seems. The latest report on the money given by the government in th NT for housing that was allocated over a year ago is that 70% will be taken up in admin and kickbacks and as of a few months ago not a singel house had been built. Around the Eastern Goldfields companies that want to mine on land 'owned' by traditional owners mine, gets permission from the Crown, asks politley if they can mine and if the Aboriginal community says no they go ahead anyway. A an Aboriginal elder who i know was driving on indigenous land up there which has a mine nearby and was told to fxxk off as it was a private road. Funding and services to the Ninga Mia community near Kalgorlie were cut because the land it was on has become profitable to mine, so the community suffers and dies. They also poison the land for miles, try looking at the vegetation near many of the mines, so much water has been taken out of the land that the water table drops so low the vegetation dies. Maybe you should try going out there with a bundle of cash and see what can be achieved... bugger all i expect. when you have no job, loose self respect, suffer from family abuse, get neglected by the state it is no wonder you turn to alcohol in desperation.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by chrispy
the problem is that nothing in the 'giving stakes' is what it seems. The latest report on the money given by the government in th NT for housing that was allocated over a year ago is that 70% will be taken up in admin and kickbacks and as of a few months ago not a singel house had been built. Around the Eastern Goldfields companies that want to mine on land 'owned' by traditional owners mine, gets permission from the Crown, asks politley if they can mine and if the Aboriginal community says no they go ahead anyway. A an Aboriginal elder who i know was driving on indigenous land up there which has a mine nearby and was told to fxxk off as it was a private road. Funding and services to the Ninga Mia community near Kalgorlie were cut because the land it was on has become profitable to mine, so the community suffers and dies. They also poison the land for miles, try looking at the vegetation near many of the mines, so much water has been taken out of the land that the water table drops so low the vegetation dies. Maybe you should try going out there with a bundle of cash and see what can be achieved... bugger all i expect. when you have no job, loose self respect, suffer from family abuse, get neglected by the state it is no wonder you turn to alcohol in desperation.
The whole "life is shit, no wonder I turn to alcohol' attitude doesnt work for whites so why should it work for anyone else. I also know a bloke who is now a private contractor that builds housing in remote areas for aboriginal people. The bulk of his time is spent RE-building housing thats destroyed constantly. The fact is aborigines dont share the infactuation with real estate as we do and have no reservations about using their floorboards for firewood. Their needs arent the same as ours. When oh when are the elders going to write their wishlist for what is really required rather than a list of things that are apparently lacking in comparison to what whites have?
Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The whole "life is shit, no wonder I turn to alcohol' attitude doesnt work for whites so why should it work for anyone else. I also know a bloke who is now a private contractor that builds housing in remote areas for aboriginal people. The bulk of his time is spent RE-building housing thats destroyed constantly. The fact is aborigines dont share the infactuation with real estate as we do and have no reservations about using their floorboards for firewood. Their needs arent the same as ours. When oh when are the elders going to write their wishlist for what is really required rather than a list of things that are apparently lacking in comparison to what whites have?
I agree what is required in remote areas isn't what is required in the cities or even rural areas. this is why Federal projects should be set with consultation with communities, not hoisted on them by committees of white fellas in the city. In most communities the elders and particularly the women have great ideas about how money should be spent to benefit the whole community. Above all if something works and improves the health or community spirit make a committment to fund it long term, not sever funding after a year. Maintain community areas as they are maintained in other areas. Surely given that a lot of the wealth of this nation comes from remote mining operations some of the money could be re-invested to provide jobs, housing, security, all the things we take for granted. One good example is the study that showed swimming pools in rural communities slashed the level of otitis media and skin infections like scabies dramatically and encouraged the kids to participate in a positive activity. having access to a swimming pool or any place to swim is taken for granted by most Aussies but in many instances there are no pools or if they are they have been neglected and fallen in disrepair.
I also agree that this isn't an excuse for drinking and drug abuse, just to point out that deprivation of a population in a wealthy western society in what ever country you live in will lead to high levels of both regardless of your colour, creed or race.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:01 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
ermmmm it was all their land . So effectively the government has done nothing. im happy as a house owner [for now] to pay a certain amount of rent to aboriginal groups for the land i occupy
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:07 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster

i was going to reply to this but its too complicated i guess just like the aboriginal issue , unsolvable
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by king kong
ermmmm it was all their land . So effectively the government has done nothing. im happy as a house owner [for now] to pay a certain amount of rent to aboriginal groups for the land i occupy
Every family in Australia is a migrant, some just got an earlier boat.

Barney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.