Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shame on you Australia

Shame on you Australia

Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:04 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shame on you Australia

Originally Posted by Danny Tiatto's nose
What can be done about it, but just as importantly, where is the voice of the Australian people on this subject ?
You can lead a horse to water mate, if you know how to make it drink we are all ears.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

On the same day a report appears in the press reporting that Australia ranks as second in the world for quality of life, a report from Save the Children shows Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander's are three times more likely to die before the age of five than non-indigenous infants.

How can Australia sustain such a digraceful disparity, and where is the expected uproar from such a report ?

Why does Australia appear to so easily accept these disgraceful facts ?

How do we as imigrants feel about the plight of these people, especially since it was the influx of the immigrant which systematically smashed a 60,000 year old culture into pieces, with a fair ammount of butchering, raping and genocide thrown in for good measure.

Here is the report in detail.

What can be done about it, but just as importantly, where is the voice of the Australian people on this subject ?
Change comes from within. The people you refer to are not idiots or children - they are reposnsible for their own behaviour.

Why do people think the State can and must solve all social problems? This is the problem you get when you expand the state's powers for 75 years and infantilise the population.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:28 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
Change comes from within. The people you refer to are not idiots or children - they are reposnsible for their own behaviour.

Why do people think the State can and must solve all social problems? This is the problem you get when you expand the state's powers for 75 years and infantilise the population.
I am loving this!!!! All the 'what the hell do you know' retorts and defensive replies, its like when the outgoing boss of Telstra dared to say publicly that Australia is 20 years behind the rest of the western world and is institutionally racist, how dare that 'spick' tell us whats wrong with our country..adios mate!! lmao!!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
I am loving this!!!! All the 'what the hell do you know' retorts and defensive replies, its like when the outgoing boss of Telstra dared to say publicly that Australia is 20 years behind the rest of the western world and is institutionally racist, how dare that 'spick' tell us whats wrong with our country..adios mate!! lmao!!
If you believe the currenr media-peddled memes, then you might think this, yes. How do you define racism? Is your methodology quantitiative or qualitative? You seem to know Australia is more racist than anywhere else so I'd just love to know how you reached this conclusion.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:42 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

If you believe the currenr media-peddled memes, then you might think this, yes. How do you define racism? Is your methodology quantitiative or qualitative? You seem to know Australia is more racist than anywhere else so I'd just love to know how you reached this conclusion.
I was referring to the statement uttered by the outgoing Telstra boss who said that Australia was racist, but thanks for reinforcing my mirth at the defensive retorts!!!!
Please read the whole post a person writes before jumping on them, you will save yourself much embarrassment, oh, and big words turn me on!!! Yes, we have all done statistical analysis mate and know the buzz words for methods of data gathering!!!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

I was referring to the statement uttered by the outgoing Telstra boss who said that Australia was racist, but thanks for reinforcing my mirth at the defensive retorts!!!!
Please read the whole post a person writes before jumping on them, you will save yourself much embarrassment, oh, and big words turn me on!!! Yes, we have all done statistical analysis mate and know the buzz words for methods of data gathering!!!

So which is it then? You implied the reaction to the Telstra outburst was unjustified, and therefore that Australia is a racist nation. How do you know this?
Old Oct 7th 2009, 3:54 am
Social Grenade Thrower

So which is it then? You implied the reaction to the Telstra outburst was unjustified, and therefore that Australia is a racist nation. How do you know this?
lol...you are priceless!!!!!

As I live in Australia and therefore have access to the media (flawed and biased as it may be!!) and also work with Australians (yes, they have let a lowly POM work within their hallowed portals) I think that my ears and mind have allowed me to notice the comments, behaviour and responses of those around me and thus have an opinion. It is a fact, Ozzies hate being told they are wrong, racist, behind the times, or bad losers at sport....but in fact they are all three!!! But hey, thats just my opinion and it is neither quantitive or qualititive, just a reasonable assumption.
But please, respond, this is fun!!!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

lol...you are priceless!!!!!

As I live in Australia and therefore have access to the media (flawed and biased as it may be!!) and also work with Australians (yes, they have let a lowly POM work within their hallowed portals) I think that my ears and mind have allowed me to notice the comments, behaviour and responses of those around me and thus have an opinion. It is a fact, Ozzies hate being told they are wrong, racist, behind the times, or bad losers at sport....but in fact they are all three!!! But hey, thats just my opinion and it is neither quantitive or qualititive, just a reasonable assumption.
But please, respond, this is fun!!!
It's not my idea of fun, but if you are telling me you have inferred the entire Australian nation is racist because of the behaviour of a handful of people in your office, you can't expect me to take your claims too seriously. My guess is that the average Australian is no more or less "racist" than any other average human being.

As for your other comment - of course the British love being told they are wrong and racist and bad lsoers at sport. They revel in it.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:12 am
Social Grenade Thrower

It's not my idea of fun, but if you are telling me you have inferred the entire Australian nation is racist because of the behaviour of a handful of people in your office, you can't expect me to take your claims too seriously. My guess is that the average Australian is no more or less "racist" than any other average human being.

As for your other comment - of course the British love being told they are wrong and racist and bad lsoers at sport. They revel in it.
We're not bad losers at sport....just bad sportsmen!!!!!
Coming here from European working standards and social standards, which therefore allows me to compare evenly, I genuinely believe that Australia is behind the times in lots of areas, and the fact that terms like 'wogs' 'spicks' etc and foul language is acceptable on daytime radio and TV is to me indicative of a culture which IS behind the times with acceptable standards. But, I do temper that with 'when in Rome', so if you all like being the way you are then fine, I can live with it but I do find it amusing how 'local' this place is and how the 3 tier political system has failed abysmally especially with Transport, Health and Justice. Unless you have been out of Australia to a more modern country you would not know the difference, I have and I do.
I am of course waiting for the 'well if you don't like it bugger off to where you came from' responses but as I said, I can live with it, but I am still allowed to comment on the disparation with other western world cultures. Lucky the weather and countryside here is so good huh!
Old Oct 7th 2009, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

I have to agree with Paddyo regarding the 3-tier system of governance.

1. The solution to the "Aboriginal" , lets call it black, because that is what they would prefer, the solution to the black issue, of course must come from within, and will take (pay attention folks) more than 2-3 maybe even 10 electoral cycles to bear fruit. Therefore there is no incentive for any of the 3 tiers of government to implement a program of spending(yes - magic word) for a benefit that will not be realised in within their electoral lifetime.

There is simply no incentive within the current systems of governance to implement this, this leads me to the unpalatable conclusion that the system of Governing within Australia does not lend itself to altriusm, infact it is the opposite. What are Australias significant humanitarian and peace keeping interventions abroad for 2005-2009. You can exclude Iraq, Afghan and Timor, these are not peacekeeping and certainly not altruistic.

The key spendings (and massive they are too) in social services, housing, support and so forth , are dwarfed and lose out too often to flagship, superfical and politically (see above) expedient projects.

The global news in behaviour management here is that Early Intervention works, but once again, Early intervention in a childs life means just that, get in early and the reward will come 10-15 years later.

Fixing the aboriginal "issue" can be done, it just takes a government strong enough to do so, and thus far, there is none with the integrity ,courage, humility and strength to do so.

as regards racism, there are plenty "ratbags" in the aboriginal community, just as there are plenty in the white/asian/[insert race here] rabags too, falling over ourselves to be "politically correct" is demeaning to them and us and is misleading.

Last edited by deryans; Oct 7th 2009 at 4:49 am.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 5:22 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

On the same day a report appears in the press reporting that Australia ranks as second in the world for quality of life, a report from Save the Children shows Aboriginal and Torres Straight Islander's are three times more likely to die before the age of five than non-indigenous infants.

How can Australia sustain such a digraceful disparity, and where is the expected uproar from such a report ?

Why does Australia appear to so easily accept these disgraceful facts ?

How do we as imigrants feel about the plight of these people, especially since it was the influx of the immigrant which systematically smashed a 60,000 year old culture into pieces, with a fair ammount of butchering, raping and genocide thrown in for good measure.

Here is the report in detail.

What an absolute load of tripe. Obviously you haven't been in Australia for long and it shows. This is the kind of PC garbage that is making the UK lose its culture and its continueing journey of social decline.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:29 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I am loving this!!!! All the 'what the hell do you know' retorts and defensive replies
That because the original post was horse crap and only worthy of such.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

We're not bad losers at sport....just bad sportsmen!!!!!
Coming here from European working standards and social standards, which therefore allows me to compare evenly, I genuinely believe that Australia is behind the times in lots of areas, and the fact that terms like 'wogs' 'spicks' etc and foul language is acceptable on daytime radio and TV is to me indicative of a culture which IS behind the times with acceptable standards. But, I do temper that with 'when in Rome', so if you all like being the way you are then fine, I can live with it but I do find it amusing how 'local' this place is and how the 3 tier political system has failed abysmally especially with Transport, Health and Justice. Unless you have been out of Australia to a more modern country you would not know the difference, I have and I do.
I am of course waiting for the 'well if you don't like it bugger off to where you came from' responses but as I said, I can live with it, but I am still allowed to comment on the disparation with other western world cultures. Lucky the weather and countryside here is so good huh!
Having lived in both I disagree. I find the UK more advanced in some areas (especially where you expect it 3 x times population to make it so) and behind in others. Ditto Australia.

They are both 'local' and both 'global' depending on who you associate with, what you read etc. The acceptance of some "foul" language is not behind or forward but a cultural difference.

The term wog went through the political correctness mill in Australia at the same time or before the word Paki did in the UK and has come out the other side. Understanding the history of it helps.

Transport, Health and Justice all have wins and losses in both countries....."failed abysmally" seems a bit harsh when Australia has just been rated number 2 place to live substantially on the back of its excellent life expectancy....lots of other places would like a health system that has failed that abysmally. No health services are free of major structural issues. Labeling one of the strong one's in the world an abysmal failure just comes across as nationalistic.

And my final rebuttal...if you argue that Australians are bad losers you could equally argue that English are bad winners. That's why so many countries are desperate to not let them win

All countries have faults. When you grow up somewhere it is easy to get used to and ignore your own countries racism etc. It is only when you travel somewhere else and see it displayed in different ways or against different targets that you are not used to, that it stands out and you think wow this country is racist. But when you turn around and look back honestly you see the same judgments could be made about your own country by someone judging it with foreign eyes. In my opinion that is what travelling is all about....teaching you about your own place as well as others and showing you how most countries have the same issues. Some travellers never get past the nationalistic stage. In my opinion there is far more variation in attitude within each country then between countries.

So there we go. Another opinion...we've all got em...

Last edited by fish.01; Oct 7th 2009 at 7:15 am.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:44 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Shame on you Australia

Originally Posted by deryans
What are Australias significant humanitarian and peace keeping interventions abroad for 2005-2009. You can exclude Iraq, Afghan and Timor, these are not peacekeeping and certainly not altruistic.
During the last 5 years, Australia has maintained peacekeeping forces and humanitarian/emergency relief services in the Solomon Islands, East Timor, Bougainville, Papua New Guinea, Sumatra, Cambodia, Thailand, Pakistan, Iran and Sudan.
Old Oct 7th 2009, 7:46 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Shame on you Australia

Getting back to the original topic...
A Northern Territory judge has expressed deep concern that it is "commonplace" for vulnerable Aboriginal women to be the victims of violence by inebriated Aboriginal men.

Justice Trevor Riley's comments came as a man who brutally bashed his wife was sentenced in the Northern Territory Supreme Court. Cornelius Molinjin pleaded guilty to the reckless manslaughter of his wife in February.

A group of high school students heard screaming and thudding noises coming from the mangroves at Rapid Creek in Darwin. When they walked into the mangroves, they saw Molinjin assaulting his wife, who later died in hospital from internal bleeding.

"You had clenched fists and you were bringing your arms behind your head and slamming down so hard into the victim that the witnesses could hear the blows from a distance away," Justice Riley said.

The pair were both heavily intoxicated at the time of the assault - so much so that Molinjin could not recall why he assaulted his wife.
(Source).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.