Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shame on you Australia

Shame on you Australia

Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

billyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to allbillyboy1 is a name known to all
Default Re: Shame on you Australia

Originally Posted by king kong
im far from middle class , have aboriginals defacating in the park down the road daily . yes i know how they behave . pales into insignificants what was done to their people though and if you dont like what i say dont read it , its a free country and im entitled to my opinion and you can be assured id say it to your face to .
I have never said I don't like what you have to say (I don't care that much), or suggested you are not entitled to your opinion, I just don't agree with it that's all, but that's fine.

You are clearly very passionate about helping indigenous people, which is highly commendable, so why don't you offer one of those aboriginals who frequent your local park your spare room, so you can put your money where your mouth is and do your bit for indigenous issues?

With regards to 'saying it to my face' I did not realize we were in a school playground.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:20 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billyboy1
King Kong I suppose you understand them do you? I would love to know how, as I deal with aborigines every day and I sure as hell don't.
I understand them better than most because i have and do employ them , i know how they think and once you gain their trust then they are just like everyone else .
By and large they are just like you and i with the odd ratbag like any other people .They ofcourse feel agrieved at the past ,wouldnt you ?but when the government digs in its heels inregards to aboriginal issues the harder they become .
I do have a lot of respect for them ,for a people to have suffered the indignitys and still be here makes them a tough nut to crack . I have tried my best by employing them ,treating them the same as others .Bollacking them when they slack ,congratulating them when they deserve it . Because i treat them no differnt i would like to think the ones that have known me and the ones who do know me now have somekind of respect for me in way that they can say ''hes not a bad white fella '' .
Old Oct 9th 2009, 3:23 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billyboy1
I have never said I don't like what you have to say (I don't care that much), or suggested you are not entitled to your opinion, I just don't agree with it that's all, but that's fine.

You are clearly very passionate about helping indigenous people, which is highly commendable, so why don't you offer one of those aboriginals who frequent your local park your spare room, so you can put your money where your mouth is and do your bit for indigenous issues?

With regards to 'saying it to my face' I did not realize we were in a school playground.
the ''saying it to your face ''was in reaction to the ''keyboard warrior remark '' . No big deal ,just two people on opposite sides of the fence . You dealing with them in a differnt way , my contact with the aborigine has been nothing but a positive experience except for when six of them pulled a knife out on me in perth years ago , but i wont hold that against them it could have just have been whites ,vietnamese , or lebanese australians .
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:06 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Ok maybe mugabe is a despot
PMSL

Too funny
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:23 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So, moving on from the past and into possible future solutions here's one. I've not thought it through in great detail so if you shoot holes in it, I don't care.

In today's world we're not going to get rid of the Australian State (i.e. the sovereign one recognised by the UN and other countries). So people banging on about reversing migration, invasions, etc... are barking down a dark alley. We're not seriously going to send the English back to Germany.

So why not create another Australian State (as in sub-fedral government) which is the aboriginal state? It's land can be all the current undisputed aboriginal land trusts spread throughout Aus. Disputed ones could possibly added later although I suspect Perth should remain part of WA.

The state's government could be organised where members of the lower house would represent a tribe or collection of tribes and maybe the upper chamber could represent a land trust area or collection of land trust areas. (However, they can organise it however they want, it's their state.) At federal level the state would supply senators in the normal fashion. Not sure how the electoral boundaries for MHRs would work but I'm sure something could be worked out (probably something similar to what's been described for the state government above). As with other states they would be responsible for things like education, police, state law, licencing, budget, etc... Initially funding would have to come from the federal government but I don't see this as being fundamentally different to the funding and assistance provided to some states just after federation.

Anyway. I could go on but I'll see how that stands up so far.
In a small way back i nthe 80's and 90's they tried to create sort of a sperate Aboriginal state with ATSIC, where Aborigines voted for their own politicans to rule themselves on their own land and it was given over $1 billion a year in taxpayers money, but it was a total disaster and disbanded, a few corrupt Aboriginies at the top took alot of the money for themselves and threatened anyone who exposed them and left all the other aborgines in poverty.

Last edited by mohogony; Oct 9th 2009 at 9:31 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pgtips
Martin Luther,

I think the situation is too far gone to think about seperate states.
Too many mixed people, ie white/aboriginal background, etc.
Personally I see the way forward as a truely intigrated Australia, where every man woman and child has equal opportunities regardless if race or creed.
I would get rid of the aboriginal settlements and let them intergrate into main stream society, becoming truely part of the modern day Australia.
Australia has evolved too much to go back to a seperate aboriginal state, but their history should still be respected and valued as an important part of Australia.

Separation just causes suspicion, wars and strife.

This all starts with education. Educate the people of Australia that the Aboriginies are just as valuable a part of society as everyone else, and make the aborigines truely feel valued and wanted.

At least this would be a start.
I once thought that there was no solution to the Northern Ireland situation. That they were too opposed to come to any common workable solution. Although the peace process is not complete I would say the situation is a lot better now than then.

As for mixed race people I don't see a problem. I was not suggesting any compulsion that someone with aboriginal history must become a member of the new state. It's their choice just as someone who's family hails from NSW can chose to live in Victoria.

Integration has been attempted for longer than the federal government has been in existence and it's fair to say that it has been less than successful and in some cases shameful. I can't see how, even with Australia's multicultural framework how the traditional culture can be blended with the "modern" other than allowing them to run side by side within a common framework of equal opportunity. I can't see how you can force integration without paternalism. And I can't see how this can be successful where it has so dramatically failed in the past.

I'm sure initially there will be a period of unrest and suspicion although I doubt war. The early federation was no different. But on the plus side Aus actually has a good record of peaceful governance change.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mohogony
In a small way back i nthe 80's and 90's they tried to create sort of a sperate Aboriginal state with ATSIC, where Aborigines voted for their own politicans to rule themselves on their own land and it was given over $1 billion a year in taxpayers money, but it was a total disaster and disbanded, a few corrupt Aboriginies at the top took alot of the money for themselves and threatened anyone who exposed them and left all the other aborgines in poverty.
This is a good point. How would the problems of corruption and nepotism be handled? Democracy would hopefully be a solution but the problem there is that it's a western system and has the tendency to be rejected if it's imposed on the people rather than being welcomed. That said corruption and nepotism may be more palatable to some than others (as was my experience of living in France). I guess another problem is foistering onto the aboriginals a system that they did not create. They, like the founding fathers of the federation, would have to be part of devising the solution.

Some of the problems could be overcome with better safeguards but even in a "good" government it's not possible to weed out all corruption.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

i dont wish for anyone to be destroyed and we all know who has been doing the destroying dont we ? Its not a doomsday scenario at all the aboriginal people of this country would welcome the leaving of the white people ,no doubt like they welcomed them when they arrived untill the whites got greedy and took what they wanted at all cost .
Im saying it how it is , you just cant see it .I am white but just because my opinion varies from the greed ridden general population of australia doesnt make it any less credible .
Places like zimbabwe have done it , south africa has done it .Ok maybe mugabe is a despot and south africa is a shambles but at least there isnt somekind of de-facto apartheid system operating under the guise of ''we are trying to do the right things by the aborigine''.
As ive said before the aborigine is less trusted by just about everyone in this country including other nations that have come here , the reason is because they dont understand them , they dont understand their beliefs , they dont understand their family system .They look down on them because they never invented the wheel . They look down on them because they dont want to fit into this society .
I dont know what the answer is but i do know what their answer is .
Good idea. Let's become like Zimbabwe.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 9:57 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I once thought that there was no solution to the Northern Ireland situation. That they were too opposed to come to any common workable solution. Although the peace process is not complete I would say the situation is a lot better now than then.

As for mixed race people I don't see a problem. I was not suggesting any compulsion that someone with aboriginal history must become a member of the new state. It's their choice just as someone who's family hails from NSW can chose to live in Victoria.

Integration has been attempted for longer than the federal government has been in existence and it's fair to say that it has been less than successful and in some cases shameful. I can't see how, even with Australia's multicultural framework how the traditional culture can be blended with the "modern" other than allowing them to run side by side within a common framework of equal opportunity. I can't see how you can force integration without paternalism. And I can't see how this can be successful where it has so dramatically failed in the past.

I'm sure initially there will be a period of unrest and suspicion although I doubt war. The early federation was no different. But on the plus side Aus actually has a good record of peaceful governance change.
A seperate Aborignal state won't work becasue Aborigines are not one people, before white settlment there were hundreds of different Aboriginal tribes owning their own territory , each with a seperate languages and laws, Australia was made up of many different countries , In the Northern territory when they put different tribes together they often fight each other. Most Aboriginies don't want a seperate state they just want back the traditional land their own tribe used to own.

Last edited by mohogony; Oct 9th 2009 at 10:01 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Oh dear, another Aussie bashing episode. Why don't you study Indigenous Studies at university and come up with a plan to help them? Money is thrown at the problem, believe me, but they have to want to change themselves. Personally, I think babies and children should be taken out of these communities, political correctness be damned.
There are strong arguements indeed to remove kids at risk as they do in the other communities living in Australia.
Whether it can be done owing to past events make it seem highly unlikely.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mohogony
A seperate Aborignal state won't work becasue Aborigines are not one people, before white settlment there were hundreds of different Aboriginal tribes owning their own territory , each with a seperate languages and laws, Australia was made up of many different countries , In the Northern territory when they put different tribes together they often fight each other. Most Aboriginies don't want a seperate state they just want back the traditional land their own tribe used to own.
Yeah. That is a problem. Also when anyone gets involved in white man's politics they are treated as an Uncle Tom. I was hoping the structure of the state government could be a way of getting the tribes to work together. I agree that they should be allowed to go back to traditional lands (where possible) and live as they want to live. However, what happens when the world comes complaining to the Aussie government? There will have to be an interface to the federal government. I think it would be better for all sides if they could act together rather than as hundreds of separate units.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

ah well may as well turn this into a bash a bung thread .seems the most popular of sports for those that cant see that a few tax payers dollars for payment of of the rape and pillage is a small price to pay for a destruction of a culture .put it this way ,if your child ,you mother ,your father ,your family ,your race was butchered .what would you want ? ill tell you shall i JUSTICE ,theres no justice in white mans law for the aboriginal .
Perhaps...but then how much justice is there for the abuse on women and children in these communities? Here we are speaking not about what another race inflicted upon the Aboriginal folk..but what they inflict upon one another..this includes drunken violence,rape,violation of underage girls....
Old Oct 9th 2009, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pgtips
Martin Luther,

I think the situation is too far gone to think about seperate states.
Too many mixed people, ie white/aboriginal background, etc.
Personally I see the way forward as a truely intigrated Australia, where every man woman and child has equal opportunities regardless if race or creed.
I would get rid of the aboriginal settlements and let them intergrate into main stream society, becoming truely part of the modern day Australia.
Australia has evolved too much to go back to a seperate aboriginal state, but their history should still be respected and valued as an important part of Australia.

Separation just causes suspicion, wars and strife.

This all starts with education. Educate the people of Australia that the Aboriginies are just as valuable a part of society as everyone else, and make the aborigines truely feel valued and wanted.

At least this would be a start.
Indeed but i think you will find a lot of what you state as already in place but the stumbling block would appear to be in parts a number of Aboriginal folk not wanting/willing to embrace all that is on offer or only taking and adding little contribution in return.
There is in a lot of areas, a lot of goodwill directed towards these folk by the vast majority of the white population...Aboriginals have also got to want to be part of the society and accept the good intentions and the spirt that it is
intended.