Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shall we stay or go - the saga continues ...

Wikiposts

Shall we stay or go - the saga continues ...

Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:48 am
FVC
Forum Regular

FVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the roughFVC is a jewel in the rough
Angry Shall we stay or go - the saga continues ...

Hi, the saga continues, having decided we want to go after much deliberation, my husband contacted the Co who is to sponsor him only to be told they now have other candidates including some Aussies.

However, give him a week as he is going interstate (what is it with interstate, from our experience it would seem everything stops and that all communication lines are non-existent) and they would call back.

It has now been 10 days and we haven't heard anything, from saying we were really keen, then wanting to go and having sorted everthing this end i.e house, relocation etc and when he spoke to the Co they couldn't get him out there fast enough it has gone really cold.

He telephoned last night left a message and no call or email yet... We now just want to know what is happening even if it is a thanks but no thanks so that we can get on with things.

On the up side we have been contacted by another Co who want to speak to us and have arranged a telephone call but guess what this has now been put back as they have to travel interstate aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhh!!!!!

It is horrible not knowing and my husband said he is not going to call again but I just want an answer, I think we deserve that at least.

Will keep you informed..
Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:59 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Shall we stay or go - the saga continues ...

Originally Posted by FVC
Hi, the saga continues, having decided we want to go after much deliberation, my husband contacted the Co who is to sponsor him only to be told they now have other candidates including some Aussies.

However, give him a week as he is going interstate (what is it with interstate, from our experience it would seem everything stops and that all communication lines are non-existent) and they would call back.

It has now been 10 days and we haven't heard anything, from saying we were really keen, then wanting to go and having sorted everthing this end i.e house, relocation etc and when he spoke to the Co they couldn't get him out there fast enough it has gone really cold.

He telephoned last night left a message and no call or email yet... We now just want to know what is happening even if it is a thanks but no thanks so that we can get on with things.

On the up side we have been contacted by another Co who want to speak to us and have arranged a telephone call but guess what this has now been put back as they have to travel interstate aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggghhhh!!!!!

It is horrible not knowing and my husband said he is not going to call again but I just want an answer, I think we deserve that at least.

Will keep you informed..
This all sounds hideous for you. We also had an offer and thought things would move along really quickly, then the trail went cold for about 6 weeks. I was needing prozac by the end of it. As it turned out the guy who offered the job was moved sideways into another department and was a sh*t communicator so we were at the bottom of the pond so to speak when it came to hearing anything. At last things have come together for us.

My advice, keep badgering - whats the worst that can happen? If the answer is negative - at least you'll know where you stand and can decide what to do next.

Good luck! (And not too many sleepless nights!)
Old Feb 16th 2005, 2:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Never mind "Interstate", wait till someone goes "overseas" - the awed way that many Aussies speak of "overseas" suggests that they think they need to cross the universe to reach another land!

Hope you get some positive news soon
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Piscivorus is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by webgum
This all sounds hideous for you. We also had an offer and thought things would move along really quickly, then the trail went cold for about 6 weeks. I was needing prozac by the end of it. As it turned out the guy who offered the job was moved sideways into another department and was a sh*t communicator so we were at the bottom of the pond so to speak when it came to hearing anything. At last things have come together for us.

My advice, keep badgering - whats the worst that can happen? If the answer is negative - at least you'll know where you stand and can decide what to do next.

Good luck! (And not too many sleepless nights!)
This seems to be the way a lot of Aussies do business- this has happened to both my wife and me with potential employers there. They also tend to either show up late or not at all for meetings there. That certainly wouldn't go over well in the US, (except maybe in the South) but I guess we'll learn to adapt.
Old Feb 16th 2005, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by FVC
Ah well, interstate can mean crossing time zones...this can be confusing to some australians....especially this time of year when some states have daylight savings time and some do not.