Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Shall I take my TV

Shall I take my TV

Old Apr 26th 2007, 6:31 am
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice
Smile Shall I take my TV

Hi
I am about to emigrate to Melbourne on a sponsered 457 Visa, we are looking at buying a house in Berwick.
As well as all the other stuff we have to take with us, shall I take my UK Television?
Will it be compatable? Will it work etc, etc? - Obviously I will have to change the plug, but do not know if it will work at all.
Any help welcomed - thanks in advance.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:39 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shall I take my TV

Originally Posted by naifyboy
Hi
I am about to emigrate to Melbourne on a sponsered 457 Visa, we are looking at buying a house in Berwick.
As well as all the other stuff we have to take with us, shall I take my UK Television?
Will it be compatable? Will it work etc, etc? - Obviously I will have to change the plug, but do not know if it will work at all.
Yep apart from the plug it will be compatable. UK, Europe and Australia use PAL B,G.

Last edited by ex_exile; Apr 26th 2007 at 8:41 am.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:34 am
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice

Cool - thanks very much
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:37 am
Just Joined

BrianJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I dont think it will work in Oz because in the UK we use Ultra High Fequency whilst in Australia there using Very High Frrquency. I imagine you may be able to get it converted but its a case of whether the cost of doing so is worth the effort or risk.
Hope that helps somewhat
Brian
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BrianJ
I dont think it will work in Oz because in the UK we use Ultra High Fequency whilst in Australia there using Very High Frrquency. I imagine you may be able to get it converted but its a case of whether the cost of doing so is worth the effort or risk.
Hope that helps somewhat
Brian
I brought my big 6 year old panasonic. Works a treat. No problems.
Lou
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Louise M
I brought my big 6 year old panasonic. Works a treat. No problems.
Lou
Im only going by what my daughter told me she moved over to Perth 6 took all her household items with her but the TV didnt work and that was the explanation she was given. Maybe it depends on the TV manufacturer.
Regards
Brian

P.S. It certainly wouldnt hurt to find out from the supplier of the set as to its suitability to have both UHF & VHF enabled on the TV
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

emmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud ofemmyjc1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BrianJ
Im only going by what my daughter told me she moved over to Perth 6 took all her household items with her but the TV didnt work and that was the explanation she was given. Maybe it depends on the TV manufacturer.
Regards
Brian

P.S. It certainly wouldnt hurt to find out from the supplier of the set as to its suitability to have both UHF & VHF enabled on the TV
My parents took theres no probs
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Shall I take my TV

Originally Posted by emmyjc1
My parents took theres no probs
Horses for courses I guess
Old Apr 26th 2007, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

GreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really niceGreenTea is just really nice

I believe the issue with TV's is that, UK TV's use Pal-2 and Oz use Pal-1 or something like that. So when the TV gets to OZ you get picture but no sound. However some TV's are universal.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Brigall is an unknown quantity at this point

Our UK Tv's work fine in OZ.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:43 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
If you're having a container, just take everything.
Even if you have to buy a digital set top box or Aussie video player to get a picture, it'll be good for a spare room if you don't use it as the main TV.

We brought 2 TV's. 1 X LCD flat screen which works perfect and 1 Sony TV which is still wrapped in the garage (16 months later). Purchased a much bigger LCD for the main TV room.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 2:48 am
What am I doing??!!

and how nice it will be to have a garage that will be big enough to fit all my stuff in!!!
Old Apr 27th 2007, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Haley & Craig is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there!
We brought our TV and it doesn't work through the normal TV arial, but if you get Foxtel, it will work as the signal is coming through the box with the TV acting as a monitor.
We live in Berwick so if you need any info on the area, just let us know!
Haley
Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:44 am
What am I doing??!!

Thanks Haley and Craig - will be in touch!
will need all the firends we can get!
Old Apr 28th 2007, 12:35 pm
Banned

Terminator is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
It probably wont work, the picture will be upside down, you could turn it over but anything you keep on top of it will fall off. If you got a really really long extension lead (12,000 miles) you could ask your mates back home to plug it in, otherwise you will need to change the plug. Dunno, your choice i guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.