British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Shall book our 1 way tickets?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/shall-book-our-1-way-tickets-485800/)

daunted Oct 7th 2007 9:22 am

Shall book our 1 way tickets??

What do you think? The title says it all really:D Would I really be tempting fate by booking our tickets to fly out on New Years Eve? Have i read somewhere about refundable tickets and/or being able to change your flight dates if something goes wrong??
OR am I just being plain impatient and tempting all kinds of disaster?:(:wub:

Timber Floor Au Oct 7th 2007 9:42 am

Re: Shall book our 1 way tickets??

:) Going anywhere nice?

daunted Oct 7th 2007 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5396750)
:) Going anywhere nice?

:rofl: well rumour has it its not so bad!! ;) One week in Bali and then off to Perth :thumbsup: Just not sure whether to tempt fate just yet!:confused:

Timber Floor Au Oct 7th 2007 10:08 am

Think our visas were issued about 4 months after medicals... cant really remember.

daunted Oct 7th 2007 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5396816)
Think our visas were issued about 4 months after medicals... cant really remember.

:eek: :( oh no! im gonna be here foreeeeeeeeeeever

Timber Floor Au Oct 7th 2007 10:27 am

from your timeline, looks like you have virtually done it all in under 9 months !!!

THATS BLOODY FAST !

Ours took over 18 months

sammyg Oct 7th 2007 10:40 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 5396715)
What do you think? The title says it all really:D Would I really be tempting fate by booking our tickets to fly out on New Years Eve? Have i read somewhere about refundable tickets and/or being able to change your flight dates if something goes wrong??
OR am I just being plain impatient and tempting all kinds of disaster?:(:wub:

Personally, i wouldn't!:)
I've seen people cause themselves a lot of unnecessary stress by booking flights before they have their visa. I also wouldn't book anything until i'd exchanged conracts on the house because until that happens you've not 'sold'.

We've seen enough people on here lose their buyers.:thumbdown:

Sorry if it sound negative but it's just our opinion.

Sam xx

thebaggos Oct 7th 2007 10:50 am

I definately wouldn't tempt fate!! You will always be able to get flights! Our tickets are non transferable. Good luck with everything!

daunted Oct 7th 2007 11:15 am

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 5396914)
Personally, i wouldn't!:)
I've seen people cause themselves a lot of unnecessary stress by booking flights before they have their visa. I also wouldn't book anything until i'd exchanged conracts on the house because until that happens you've not 'sold'.

We've seen enough people on here lose their buyers.:thumbdown:

Sorry if it sound negative but it's just our opinion.

Sam xx

Originally Posted by thebaggos (Post 5396958)
I definately wouldn't tempt fate!! You will always be able to get flights! Our tickets are non transferable. Good luck with everything!

:unsure: tis ok - i asked the question and you are right - guess im just impatient :sneaky::wub:

Reedy Oct 7th 2007 11:23 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 5397074)
:unsure: tis ok - i asked the question and you are right - guess im just impatient :sneaky::wub:

I've been keeping my beady eyes of flights but too frightened to tempt fate.......

Lau xx

GinaUK Oct 7th 2007 8:07 pm

I booked our flights before we'd exchanged contracts on the house sale - and then the house sale fell through 4 days before the exchange date.

We were very very lucky! We had flexible tickets with Singapore Airlines, which meant we could cancel them. And SA were very nice to us and didn't charge us a cancellation fee or an admin fee (which they were entitled to charge).

This time round I won't be booking anything until we've exchanged contracts.

Gina

daunted Oct 7th 2007 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by GinaUK (Post 5398518)
I booked our flights before we'd exchanged contracts on the house sale - and then the house sale fell through 4 days before the exchange date.

We were very very lucky! We had flexible tickets with Singapore Airlines, which meant we could cancel them. And SA were very nice to us and didn't charge us a cancellation fee or an admin fee (which they were entitled to charge).

This time round I won't be booking anything until we've exchanged contracts.

Gina

yeah i have come to this decision too from just a few posts. i am just fed up of being out of contorl of our lives

Fly Away Oct 7th 2007 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 5398565)
yeah i have come to this decision too from just a few posts. i am just fed up of being out of contorl of our lives

Chin up! I reckon you'll exchange in 3 weeks time! Can you hold on that long? :confused: :wub: :wub:

the pursers Oct 7th 2007 8:35 pm

Been asking the same question here...went to see Travelmood yesterday and asked them to look into flexible tickets in case I don't get my visa in time. As the OH only has 44 days left on his UK visa its getting tighter every day :eek:
Don't know what to do for the best either - will let you know what Travelmood say, I know you usually have to pay extra for flexible tickets, so we'll see what they come back with...
Good luck, maybe this will be the week we get our visas!!! :thumbsup:

daunted Oct 7th 2007 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by the pursers (Post 5398623)
Been asking the same question here...went to see Travelmood yesterday and asked them to look into flexible tickets in case I don't get my visa in time. As the OH only has 44 days left on his UK visa its getting tighter every day :eek:
Don't know what to do for the best either - will let you know what Travelmood say, I know you usually have to pay extra for flexible tickets, so we'll see what they come back with...
Good luck, maybe this will be the week we get our visas!!! :thumbsup:

fingers crossed for you:wub: please let me know how you get on :wub: