British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Settling in Perth 2007/8 List (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/settling-perth-2007-8-list-469263/)

Wandathecat Aug 27th 2008 8:09 am

Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Hi Mary1967

We don't know yet, staying with family in Butler for the first couple of weeks. Depends where we get jobs really. I would like something near the hills, OH wants something near the beach............probably end up somewhere between the two!!!!:thumbsup:

mary1967 Aug 27th 2008 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 6719218)
Hi Mary1967

We don't know yet, staying with family in Butler for the first couple of weeks. Depends where we get jobs really. I would like something near the hills, OH wants something near the beach............probably end up somewhere between the two!!!!:thumbsup:

Think we'll probably aim for the beach South of Perth, but it's difficult to know until we get there. At the moment i'm just hoping for a roof and 4 walls!!!

Wandathecat Aug 27th 2008 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6719449)
Think we'll probably aim for the beach South of Perth, but it's difficult to know until we get there. At the moment i'm just hoping for a roof and 4 walls!!!

Have you been before? We love Freo but a bit on the expensive side. Mandurah was nice but a bit far from the rest of our family. I liked it around Kelmscott/Swan Valley but like you four walls will do to start with.

Who u flying with?

mary1967 Aug 27th 2008 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 6719480)
Have you been before? We love Freo but a bit on the expensive side. Mandurah was nice but a bit far from the rest of our family. I liked it around Kelmscott/Swan Valley but like you four walls will do to start with.

Who u flying with?

Never been before, so i haven't got a clue:eek: We've got friends in Port Kennedy who're putting us up until we get a rental.

We're flying with Singapore, what about you?

tawkins1 Aug 27th 2008 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6714729)
Hi Dawn, we go on the 22nd October from Manchester - getting really nervous now:eek:

Sorry to hear you've not had any luck with the house - have you tried using another agent?

We're on our 2nd agent now! :( Nothing round here is moving so i'm just looking forward to our validation trip in November. I think i've resigned myself to the fact that we will spend another christmas here in the UK then hopfully in the new year the house may sell, anything before then is a bonus.

It started getting me down but then whats the point of that it'll happen when it happens. :thumbsup:

You've not got long now :eek: Just remember its quite nippy in Oct so take some woolies with ya! We were surprised how cold it was in Oct last year :wub:

Wandathecat Aug 27th 2008 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6719490)
Never been before, so i haven't got a clue:eek: We've got friends in Port Kennedy who're putting us up until we get a rental.

We're flying with Singapore, what about you?

emirates, via dubai, HK, Bangkok, Cambodia, Sydney, melbourne then Perth. We have been twice, you will love it. We went to Mandurah, very nice. Rockingham nice too.

Cx

mary1967 Aug 27th 2008 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 6720346)
We're on our 2nd agent now! :( Nothing round here is moving so i'm just looking forward to our validation trip in November. I think i've resigned myself to the fact that we will spend another christmas here in the UK then hopfully in the new year the house may sell, anything before then is a bonus.

It started getting me down but then whats the point of that it'll happen when it happens. :thumbsup:

You've not got long now :eek: Just remember its quite nippy in Oct so take some woolies with ya! We were surprised how cold it was in Oct last year :wub:

I'm really sorry you've not had any luck with the house. Is there any chance you could rent yours out?

My jumpers and winter coat are coming with me:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 6720547)
emirates, via dubai, HK, Bangkok, Cambodia, Sydney, melbourne then Perth. We have been twice, you will love it. We went to Mandurah, very nice. Rockingham nice too.

Cx

That's a hell of a journey:eek: From what i can gather Mandurah isn't too far from Port Kennedy, so we'll definitely be going to have a look round.

tawkins1 Aug 27th 2008 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by mary1967 (Post 6721599)
I'm really sorry you've not had any luck with the house. Is there any chance you could rent yours out?

My jumpers and winter coat are coming with me:thumbsup:

That's a hell of a journey:eek: From what i can gather Mandurah isn't too far from Port Kennedy, so we'll definitely be going to have a look round.

We were thinking about renting it out but financially we'd probably struggle without the equity in the house. We'll get there eventually :eek:
Really pleased for you tho! :thumbsup:

mary1967 Aug 27th 2008 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 6721657)
We were thinking about renting it out but financially we'd probably struggle without the equity in the house. We'll get there eventually :eek:
Really pleased for you tho! :thumbsup:

Thanks Dawn, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

lolylew Aug 29th 2008 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Wandathecat (Post 6715991)
Any newbies to Perth arriving in Oct? :thumbsup:

only for a validation trip unfortunately, although hubby has had a telephone interview and has got to do some aptitude tests this weekend that will hopefully turn into a proper interview when we get there in october.
if that works out, we could be there again not long after :thumbup:

mad.chef Aug 29th 2008 11:34 am

Originally Posted by lolylew (Post 6727226)
only for a validation trip unfortunately, although hubby has had a telephone interview and has got to do some aptitude tests this weekend that will hopefully turn into a proper interview when we get there in october.
if that works out, we could be there again not long after :thumbup:

Hi,

How are your plans going? The thread has gone quiet lately but I have been trying to keep it going. I can't believe we have been here nearly a year already! Time has really flown by.

Anyone feel free to ask any questions.

Sarah.

lolylew Aug 29th 2008 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 6727353)
Hi,

How are your plans going? The thread has gone quiet lately but I have been trying to keep it going. I can't believe we have been here nearly a year already! Time has really flown by.

Anyone feel free to ask any questions.

Sarah.

hi sarah,

apart from the house not selling everythings fine thanks.
we were expecting to have moved over by now, but the housing market has totally stopped here at the moment. If andrew can get a job, then we'd be able to move and rent the house out. just couldnt afford to pay a mortgage and a rent with no job.

it seems like your year has flown by, it only seems a few months ago i was looking at your pictures of you moving out!!!!! glad its going well for you!!!! :thumbup:

what do you think ythe weather will be like in october, will it be beach & pool weather, bearing in mind we're coming from cold england?! will it be cold at night?

lisa
:thumbup:

mad.chef Aug 29th 2008 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by lolylew (Post 6727429)
hi sarah,

apart from the house not selling everythings fine thanks.
we were expecting to have moved over by now, but the housing market has totally stopped here at the moment. If andrew can get a job, then we'd be able to move and rent the house out. just couldnt afford to pay a mortgage and a rent with no job.

it seems like your year has flown by, it only seems a few months ago i was looking at your pictures of you moving out!!!!! glad its going well for you!!!! :thumbup:

what do you think ythe weather will be like in october, will it be beach & pool weather, bearing in mind we're coming from cold england?! will it be cold at night?

lisa
:thumbup:

We came in October and we rented a house with a pool, it was too cold for that as the pools aren't heated, saying that Taylor went in it a few times!! It was warm in the day but cold in the house at night and we had to cover ourselves up with blankets at night when watching the tv. We used to go out all the time though and it was lovely and warm in the day, the kids used to go down to the beach and to Hillarys. My OH is surfing this time of year and he says the water is freezing but he has got a full wetsuit which helps. Doesn't stop him going though.

Hopefully all will go well with the job front and the house.

Sarah

tawkins1 Aug 29th 2008 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 6727483)
We came in October and we rented a house with a pool, it was too cold for that as the pools aren't heated, saying that Taylor went in it a few times!! It was warm in the day but cold in the house at night and we had to cover ourselves up with blankets at night when watching the tv. We used to go out all the time though and it was lovely and warm in the day, the kids used to go down to the beach and to Hillarys. My OH is surfing this time of year and he says the water is freezing but he has got a full wetsuit which helps. Doesn't stop him going though.

Hopefully all will go well with the job front and the house.

Sarah

Hi :)
Wow a year already! We too are stuck here cos we can't sell the house :(
We are validating mid November :thumbup: We came Oct last year & was suprised how cold it was at night, we wore fleeces in bed :eek:
We had lovely days out & the temperatures weren't too bad athought I was surprised how much it rained!!! (What rain in Oz?) I was shocked :rofl:

The Clarkeys Aug 29th 2008 8:13 pm

we are in the same boat as Tawkins - cant sell house and need the equity to get out there. planning to validate in march/april next year. might look at seeing if OH can get a job sorted and chance going out and rent the house out. anyone need a plumber????:rofl::rofl: