Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

How have most of you decided what part of Perth you are heading too? Have you been to Perth before and know the area's? We have never been to Perth before so really unsure what part to settle in, OH is a fitter engineer and we have 2 teenage boys so will have to settle where the work is and good secondary schools.
After looking on the net all parts of Perth looks wonderful, I think its going to be difficult to find somewhere to live.
Were looking to fly on in February next year, were just waiting for our visa which our agent did say we should recieve this month!
Old Dec 7th 2007, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

LisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
How have most of you decided what part of Perth you are heading too? Have you been to Perth before and know the area's? We have never been to Perth before so really unsure what part to settle in, OH is a fitter engineer and we have 2 teenage boys so will have to settle where the work is and good secondary schools.
After looking on the net all parts of Perth looks wonderful, I think its going to be difficult to find somewhere to live.
Were looking to fly on in February next year, were just waiting for our visa which our agent did say we should recieve this month!
Hi

My OH is a fitter engineer too. But he has been working with pumps for the last 2 years and has a contact who is sorting a job for him in a large pump company in and industrial area called Henderson. This is just south of Fremantle. Fremantle is a lovely little town with real charactor and is a port. We visited last year and travelled all round North Perth all the way down to rockingham. We didn't like Rockingham ourselves. But we never went further south. So this time we have booked to stay just outside Mandurah to give us a chance to look further South to compare.

I cant really help with where the work is though unfortunately.
Old Dec 7th 2007, 10:33 pm
Big Skies and Wide Eyes!

The_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud ofThe_Effys has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
Hi Ozzy7,
We were originally going to Mandurah as there is a new train depot there & I'm a train driver, was hoping to get a job there but they arn't recruiting again till next year. So we decided to still stay in the area(ish!) Heard lots of people say how nice Secret Harbour was & after driving round & surfing there, that's where we have settled!

Some people look at schools first, then jobs second. It's hard with the schools as some people will give them a good report & others will say avoid them at all costs!

I have to say, we really like it down this way & we have both managed to get local jobs. Baldivis/Settlers Hills is really nice area aswell. But what I will say(as someone else said to me ) is that wherever you go, it is all nice & you can't go far wrong

Good luck with your decision & all the best,
Chris

Old Dec 8th 2007, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hi Malcs66,

I have added you and your onto the list. Welcome aboard!

Sarah

HERE IS THE LIST:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Perth_List[1].doc (375.0 KB, 87 views)
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

nelboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

We have been asked to supply med and police checks, which is good news the only downer is I thought we had done with all the damn forms.

police checks are easy but we are panicking a bit over the health ones, I am asthmatic so I have a bit of a past history with docs and hospitals so trying to remember all that has gone under the bridge is impossible, I am fit as a fiddle now so it all seems a bit much!

Nelboy
Old Dec 9th 2007, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

2-hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nelboy
Hi all,

We have been asked to supply med and police checks, which is good news the only downer is I thought we had done with all the damn forms.

police checks are easy but we are panicking a bit over the health ones, I am asthmatic so I have a bit of a past history with docs and hospitals so trying to remember all that has gone under the bridge is impossible, I am fit as a fiddle now so it all seems a bit much!

Nelboy
Hi Mate
Just to let you know police checks take upto 40 days and ours took the the full forty (Hampshire Police) Middx might be better.
Health Checks are easy they dont check to much into your history,we had ours done at Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead apart from the wee test (we had to drink buckets of water first) its a walk in park.
We are from Camberley and are flying out in Feb 08 going to Perth.

When and Where are you hoping to go.

Cheers
Dave
Old Dec 9th 2007, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold

Hi all,

More adjustments done to the list.

HERE IS THE LIST:
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Perth_List[1].doc (375.5 KB, 87 views)
Old Dec 10th 2007, 4:50 am
lpw
Just Joined

lpw is on a distinguished road

Being a young single in Perth, you're probably best sticking to the city – it's better for work too. The areas popular with expats are mostly older/families. Still really great places, but you might find it limiting as far as meeting new buddies goes.

Rangers supporters club used to be at the Inglewood Soccer Club – not sure if it's still there. They seem to struggle for a venue... something to do with rowdiness if you can beleive that

Originally Posted by Don2211
Hi,

One of my mates moved out there 2 years ago 9he's all I know).

Daunted? I had not really thought it about it to be honest until I started reading through some of the posts on this website.
Ive always thought about doing it, now its time to do it. But the closer it gets to doing it the more daunting it gets

P.S
I'll send you a PM in 2 mins
Old Dec 10th 2007, 9:13 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Well my heathrow hotel is booked the night before, I feel so sad at leaving my little flat and I think that will be quite hard knowing that I am so near to it yet it isn't mine to go back to (if that makes sense).

Hotel for Singapore is now booked, time is going so quickly and my emotions are up and down like a tarts knickers.

I would be interested to read on what other people have planned for when they arrive at the airport? We always get to our flights about 4 hours before we take off just to be safe.

For us it's Duty Free, coffee and 'people watching', noone is coming to the airport with us so thankfully we won't have any tears (she says )

I am nervous and excited at the same time - not a pleasant mix!
Old Dec 10th 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Broadbeach/Surfers Paradise depending which side of the house you stand
yellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to allyellowmellow is a name known to all

Hello all,

Just to let you know that we have now got the visa and the flights are booked for Sunday from Heathrow. We are going via Bangkok.

Arrive in Perth on Tuesday and cant wait. We will finally have Christmas in the sun.

See you all there.

Becky xx
Old Dec 10th 2007, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

LisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really nice

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Well my heathrow hotel is booked the night before, I feel so sad at leaving my little flat and I think that will be quite hard knowing that I am so near to it yet it isn't mine to go back to (if that makes sense).

Hotel for Singapore is now booked, time is going so quickly and my emotions are up and down like a tarts knickers.

I would be interested to read on what other people have planned for when they arrive at the airport? We always get to our flights about 4 hours before we take off just to be safe.

For us it's Duty Free, coffee and 'people watching', noone is coming to the airport with us so thankfully we won't have any tears (she says )

I know how you feel. We move out of our house between Xmas and New Year into my mums to ahnd over to rental agents.
We fly in six weeks and if I'm honest I don't feel any excitement now. I purely have dread. I am dreading when the time comes to say good bye to friends and family. Having a leaving do on 5th Jan and a small family New Years Eve. Both of which I know will be emotional.
Most days I find myself trying not to think about what we're leaving as I could get quite emotional now and I cant cope with 6 weeks of it. So I try to keep busy and stick with facts.
I don't doubt what we're doing I just know it will be the hardest thing I've done in my life so far.

Does anyone else feel the same?
Old Dec 10th 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

nelboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 2-hunter
Hi Mate
Just to let you know police checks take upto 40 days and ours took the the full forty (Hampshire Police) Middx might be better.
Health Checks are easy they dont check to much into your history,we had ours done at Bridge Clinic in Maidenhead apart from the wee test (we had to drink buckets of water first) its a walk in park.
We are from Camberley and are flying out in Feb 08 going to Perth.

When and Where are you hoping to go.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info.

We hope to go as soon as we can, assuming it takes 40 days for the police checks then that should be mid jan then 6 - 8 weeks for the visa if all is ok after that so maybe mid Feb to mid March we should be ready to buy some tickets and get over the seas to a new life.

I had my x-ray today OH has hers on wedneday and also wednesday we all go for our meds. ho hum.

At least once its done then we have no more to do on the visa front just sell the house and all the rest.

We are headed to Connolly (just below Joondalup) to start with, we have freinds there so we will try and stay close to them if we can get a rental nearby.

What about you where are you headed?

Cheers
Neil.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 2:25 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaT
I know how you feel. We move out of our house between Xmas and New Year into my mums to ahnd over to rental agents.
We fly in six weeks and if I'm honest I don't feel any excitement now. I purely have dread. I am dreading when the time comes to say good bye to friends and family. Having a leaving do on 5th Jan and a small family New Years Eve. Both of which I know will be emotional.
Most days I find myself trying not to think about what we're leaving as I could get quite emotional now and I cant cope with 6 weeks of it. So I try to keep busy and stick with facts.
I don't doubt what we're doing I just know it will be the hardest thing I've done in my life so far.

Does anyone else feel the same?
I feel the same

The thought of when we are in our Heathrow Hotel that we will be homeless, that my little flat will be so near and I cant go to it to make myself secure.

The thought of hurting everyone that I love and care about, walking from a secure job to go back to the beginning to find another one.

But the thought of starting afresh in another country keeps me going and I feel so proud that we have finally got the visa.

But yes, Im terrified.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

We fly on 24th January stopping off in Hong Kong for 3 days and arrive Perth 28th.
We were thinking of staying the night at Heathrow seeing as we have to check-in about 10.30 am or else we'll have to leave early hours to travel up.
When i first set about this process earlier in the year i alway's said that i would like to fly back to Oz towards the end of Jan with my brother who would be coming home for Xmas for a 6 week holiday....Well he arrives on Saturday and i think that when i see him it's going to make me realise what i've actually done and while i don't want to wish away his holiday i will be forever nervous & excited for 6 weeks.
I am dreading the goodbye's, like everyone else but i know that we have to go through it so i try not to think about it for a minute and well when we get to Heathrow i'm going to have a few of these, even if it is early
Old Dec 10th 2007, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

2-hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nelboy
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info.

We hope to go as soon as we can, assuming it takes 40 days for the police checks then that should be mid jan then 6 - 8 weeks for the visa if all is ok after that so maybe mid Feb to mid March we should be ready to buy some tickets and get over the seas to a new life.

I had my x-ray today OH has hers on wedneday and also wednesday we all go for our meds. ho hum.

At least once its done then we have no more to do on the visa front just sell the house and all the rest.

We are headed to Connolly (just below Joondalup) to start with, we have freinds there so we will try and stay close to them if we can get a rental nearby.

What about you where are you headed?

Cheers
Neil.

Hi Neil

We are Heading for Bunbury or Austriland Like your self i am also in the Motor Trade working as a Paint Sprayer.
But when we arrive we dont know a soul, Got no car, No House, No Job,and No friends.........hmmmmm Yes i know what your thinking Billy no Mates !
But hey we Cant wait to get there. Roll on February.

Good Luck with your meds on Wednesday....Drink Loads of Water Trust me !

Cheers
Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.