British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Settling in Perth 2007/8 List (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/settling-perth-2007-8-list-469263/)

CandiceM Sep 16th 2007 12:37 pm

Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Hi, my husband and I will be moving to Perth in mid Nov 2007.Can we also we added to your list? We are from SA though, I have battled to find an SA expat site as relevant and up to date as this one.
I don't know where we will be staying as my husbands new company is providing us with a furnished aprtment for the first 4 weeks, and will show us around to look at places to rent.
We are Steve (32) engineer, Candice (27) stay at home mom, and Luke (4)

The_Effys Sep 16th 2007 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by pam0512 (Post 5317211)
Hi guys,

Welcome to Perth........don't worry too much as the weather has been really changeable over the past couple of weeks.......Much better today the sun is shining and it is warm....hope to meet some of you soon at the marina in mindarie, if not this week then def next week....

Love Pam x

Hi Pam,

hope to be going to one of the meets also, but not sure when. Yeah it was a nice day today, strolled on the beach as I'm sure everyone does when they first get here :thumbsup: The sun really makes a difference!

We are having a tour tomorrow morning so hope to get to know the area a bit better.

Hows things with you guys?

terrington-evans Sep 16th 2007 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by The_Effys (Post 5317593)
Ouch! We are going to WestPac tomorrow, but the Mandurah branch. Not sure about the 100 point thing though, perhaps it would be better to get our WA driving licenses first as John said that was 100 points ID.

Bring your passports/uk driving licenses and the rental agreement John gave you, It should be enough. The WA driving licenses take about a week to come through.:thumbsup:

Mark

The_Effys Sep 16th 2007 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by terrington-evans (Post 5317875)
Bring your passports/uk driving licenses and the rental agreement John gave you, It should be enough. The WA driving licenses take about a week to come through.:thumbsup:

Mark

OK Mark, cheers for that, have you got your WA licences yet? John said you don't have to do a theory test anymore. Hope they don't ask us any questions :eek: am looking through the Highway Code book now :sneaky: but can't keep my eyes open much longer, don't know whether it is the book, or whether I am tired! ;)

Alfano's Sep 16th 2007 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by The_Effys (Post 5317794)

hope to be going to one of the meets also, but not sure when. Yeah it was a nice day today, strolled on the beach as I'm sure everyone does when they first get here :thumbsup: The sun really makes a difference!

We are having a tour tomorrow morning so hope to get to know the area a bit better.

Hi Guys

Here at last eh!
As soon as the first week of running around like a blue ar$e fly is over :blink:, chill out and enjoy it. The sun will be back soon.

Look forward to meeting up with you guys again.

Leeane & Frank

PS - no theory test required dont worry, just a quick eyesight check and payment :)

janet66 Sep 16th 2007 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by The_Effys (Post 5317593)
Ouch! We are going to WestPac tomorrow, but the Mandurah branch. Not sure about the 100 point thing though, perhaps it would be better to get our WA driving licenses first as John said that was 100 points ID.

Hi Chris we just took our passports and that did our 100 point check , well speak this week and get together ;)
jan

The_Effys Sep 16th 2007 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Alfano's (Post 5317906)
Hi Guys

Here at last eh!
As soon as the first week of running around like a blue ar$e fly is over :blink:, chill out and enjoy it. The sun will be back soon.

Look forward to meeting up with you guys again.

Leeane & Frank

PS - no theory test required dont worry, just a quick eyesight check and payment :)

Hi Guys, how are you getting on, sent you a PM a while back but I think you had not long been here & everything was probably up in the air a bit :unsure:

Have you been to any of the meets yet(Perth ones) Remember you from the Northampton meet a while ago :thumbup: Let us know how your getting on & maybe we can meet up one day.

Good to hear from you,

Chris

The_Effys Sep 16th 2007 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by janet66 (Post 5317912)
Hi Chris we just took our passports and that did our 100 point check , well speak this week and get together ;)
jan

Blimey, you didn't waste any time when you arrived, you must have hit the ground running :lol: :thumbup:

We did a lot of research before we came, but now we are a bit perplexed as to what to do first :lol: I think most of the research was to do with TRA & VISA & not enough AUSTRALIA :o I have Medicare, Bank ID, Tax File No., Schools, Jobs all spinning round in my head & usually i am a calm, relaxed person, but at the moment I am William Worry Guts :blink: :D

oh well, it'll all get sorted in time :cool:

mad.chef Sep 16th 2007 6:12 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Candice,

I have added you to the list.

HERE IS THE LIST:

Ozzy7 Sep 16th 2007 8:48 pm

Thanks for adding us to the list, there sure are a lot of people heading to Perth!:ohmy::)

pam0512 Sep 16th 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by The_Effys (Post 5317975)
Blimey, you didn't waste any time when you arrived, you must have hit the ground running :lol: :thumbup:

We did a lot of research before we came, but now we are a bit perplexed as to what to do first :lol: I think most of the research was to do with TRA & VISA & not enough AUSTRALIA :o I have Medicare, Bank ID, Tax File No., Schools, Jobs all spinning round in my head & usually i am a calm, relaxed person, but at the moment I am William Worry Guts :blink: :D

oh well, it'll all get sorted in time :cool:

Hi Guys,

Leave medicare for at least a week as they will tell you to leave it that long anyway, seems their system takes a while to receive all the visa info from DIMA. You also have 3 months grace for obtaining your drivers licence so don't worry about that one too much......Where abouts are you staying??

Pam x

The_Effys Sep 17th 2007 3:19 am

Originally Posted by pam0512 (Post 5319426)
Hi Guys,

Leave medicare for at least a week as they will tell you to leave it that long anyway, seems their system takes a while to receive all the visa info from DIMA. You also have 3 months grace for obtaining your drivers licence so don't worry about that one too much......Where abouts are you staying??

Pam x

We are in port Kennedy at the moment but will be moving just over the road to Warnbro some time Saturday, both houses are rentals that John & Eve from Emi-great site let out. We are in other house for 7 weeks & hopefully we would have found an unfurnished rental by the then. Not sure where we'll end up eventually, where we get jobs I suppose :unsure:

terrington-evans Sep 17th 2007 4:19 am

Originally Posted by The_Effys (Post 5317891)
OK Mark, cheers for that, have you got your WA licences yet? John said you don't have to do a theory test anymore. Hope they don't ask us any questions :eek: am looking through the Highway Code book now :sneaky: but can't keep my eyes open much longer, don't know whether it is the book, or whether I am tired! ;)

TFN, Medicare, Driving Licence, bank, long term rental found, new house ordered and been built in Settlers hill (takes about 12 months), 2 weeks on the new job, even found time to visit a couple of local vineyards and the local wildlife park yesterday.
With the Driving Licenses you just do an eyesight test, I also picked up a copy of the rules of the road there as well (Free). I also forgot to mention that they give you a tempory paper license which the bank did except.
You can register for medicare in Rockingham City mall - we did it after a few days and they will send out your cards when you appear in the system - Ours arrived last week.

Mark

LisaT Sep 17th 2007 7:04 am

Hi

Can you add us to your list too.
Tony(33) maintenance engineer, Lisa (33) stay at home mum, Hayden(3), Kobi(11 mths). Flying out in Jan 08. Headed for Mandurah/Secret Harbour.

Many thanks

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 5318759)
Hi Candice,

I have added you to the list.

HERE IS THE LIST:

mad.chef Sep 17th 2007 10:03 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LisaT (Post 5320228)
Hi

Can you add us to your list too.
Tony(33) maintenance engineer, Lisa (33) stay at home mum, Hayden(3), Kobi(11 mths). Flying out in Jan 08. Headed for Mandurah/Secret Harbour.

Many thanks

Hi Lisa,

I have already added you to the list. Can you open it or are you having problems? Click on the link below and you are near the bottom.

Hi all you newby perthies! How are things going? Hope all is well and we cant wait to get there in 2 WEEKS!!!

Sarah

HERE IS THE LIST: