British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Settling in Perth 2007/8 List (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/settling-perth-2007-8-list-469263/)

mad.chef Aug 11th 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Originally Posted by phillip&sharon (Post 5177065)
Hi all,

My son is a Marmite fanatic!!! I know he's supposed to become a vegimite kid, but don't think that's going to happen just yet!

I was thinking of buying quite a few jars and shipping them out and also taking them in our hand luggage, to keep us going. Any thoughts from anyone with regards to whether this can happen? I thought as long as they were unopened then this would be fine.

:unsure:

regards
sharon

Hi Sharon,

Just found this link on another forum I use, It has loads of stuff you can buy from the uk.

Might be worth a look.

Sarah

http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au

pam0512 Aug 12th 2007 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 5176035)
We have just booked our 2 week car hire for when we arrive. We are having a Ford Focus (or similar) for £250. I think that is really cheap. When we went to Ibiza and had a car for 3 days it cost us £100.

Just got to sort out travel insurance and finish off the shipping insurance and I think we are mostly done.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Just wondered who you hired your car with? We are looking at 1 week car hire for £300 approx for a full size car!! Thought that was a bit steep!! Can you let me know.

Cheers, Pam x x

Hi Aston Man,
Good to see another Octoberite on here.....How's everything going???

maverik1979 Aug 12th 2007 5:14 pm

hope its not too late to say hello here, me my wife and 3 year old daughter are hoping to move out to perth this year, just sent off our pcc's and meds arrived last week, hopefully will get a c/o in next 4 weeks, dont have anything much to ship, all our stuff can be easily sold and we have a buyer for our house, so hopefully (crosses fingers) there wont be any hold-ups, just taken voluntary redundancy from work (been there 11 years) so thats a bit of a brucie bonus i wasnt anticipating, basically as soon as we get visa in our passports, we will book flights for earliest opportunity, so still looking at getting out by the end of october, will be staying with my cousins, and aunt at their rented house in darlington up in the hills, whilst their new houses are being built, and are hoping to do the same ourselves.

brad

mad.chef Aug 12th 2007 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by pam0512 (Post 5180198)
Hi Sarah,

Just wondered who you hired your car with? We are looking at 1 week car hire for £300 approx for a full size car!! Thought that was a bit steep!! Can you let me know.

Cheers, Pam x x

Hi Aston Man,
Good to see another Octoberite on here.....How's everything going???

Hi Pam,

I booked it through Emirates on their website. They use a company called holiday autos I think but emirates give you 10% of the price. It was the cheapest price I could find and I shopped around for ages. I ended up booking it on the phone and she told me it was through Thrifty in Australia. When you do a price quote on their site they charge loads more than that.

Hope that helps.

Sarah

BristolBeary Aug 13th 2007 12:01 pm

Hi I thought I would say hello as Brad usually posts - Louise here.

Wow everybody seems to be sorting all the necessaries out....I don't seem to be able to mak my list get any shorter!!!
We have our flights booked, temporary rental booked, really need to sort out a hire car. Leaving party is all booked.
Still can't make up our minds on shipping - it's between Allied Pickfords and Crown, who seem to be on the phone all the time!
Can't believe that in 9 weeks we will be in Perth, the time is just slipping away.

Anyway I best get on with car hire research!!!!

Louise, Brad & Cameron:confused:

mad.chef Aug 13th 2007 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by BristolBeary (Post 5183168)
Hi I thought I would say hello as Brad usually posts - Louise here.

Wow everybody seems to be sorting all the necessaries out....I don't seem to be able to mak my list get any shorter!!!
We have our flights booked, temporary rental booked, really need to sort out a hire car. Leaving party is all booked.
Still can't make up our minds on shipping - it's between Allied Pickfords and Crown, who seem to be on the phone all the time!
Can't believe that in 9 weeks we will be in Perth, the time is just slipping away.

Anyway I best get on with car hire research!!!!

Louise, Brad & Cameron:confused:

Hi Louise,

Have a look at emirates website and click on car hire, they were the cheapest price I could get.

Sarah

pam0512 Aug 13th 2007 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 5181090)
Hi Pam,

I booked it through Emirates on their website. They use a company called holiday autos I think but emirates give you 10% of the price. It was the cheapest price I could find and I shopped around for ages. I ended up booking it on the phone and she told me it was through Thrifty in Australia. When you do a price quote on their site they charge loads more than that.

Hope that helps.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for that...will take a look.

Getting quite stressed now as it's only 11 days until we leave!! OMG! Loads to do and soooooooo little time!!

Pam x x

Paula223 Aug 13th 2007 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by l5lmm (Post 5176226)
Hi - we're hoping to come to Settlers. Is it easy to get into the city as I will need to commute. I am happy to park and ride if that's an option. Also, are there good day care centres and kindys for my 4 year old?

Hi there,yes you have Settlers Primary and across the street Tranby Colledge they do day care,and you can park and ride from here to Perth but will take you a while,bus is just opposite Settlers Entry :)

phillip&sharon Aug 13th 2007 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 5177208)
Hi Sharon,

Just found this link on another forum I use, It has loads of stuff you can buy from the uk.

Might be worth a look.

Sarah

http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au

Thanks for that,

Good site, quite expensive though! Not worried about anything else, just the Marmite!!!! (Sad)

Just going to email Crown.

Regards
sharon

yellowmellow Aug 13th 2007 11:02 pm

Hey we are going on a 457 visa hopefully will be Oct/Nov this year.

We will be going to Coogee Just south of Perth between Fremantle and Rockingham

Anyone else going near there?

Would be great to get to know a few people before we leave this place.

Good luck everyone with your adventures, im sure it will be worth it in the end!
:thumbup::thumbsup::eek:

mad.chef Aug 14th 2007 2:22 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Hi yellowmellow,

Where are you from now? We are from Redditch. Give us some more details and you can be added to the list (ever growing!).

You will see how many people are going and to whereabouts.

Sarah

HERE IS THE LIST:

tomy2tums Aug 14th 2007 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by pam0512 (Post 5183371)
Getting quite stressed now as it's only 11 days until we leave!! OMG! Loads to do and soooooooo little time!!

Pam x x

Oh, we know how you feel, we leave in 13 days, the car aint sold, and the business visa isnt through yet, and Valerie is having intermitant days of crying, feeling sick and excitment....

But then again, 4 days in Singapore...mmmmmm

phillip&sharon Aug 15th 2007 8:55 am

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 5169914)
Hi Phillip,

They have sent me some stuff today and it say: the rate is 1.60% if professionally packed and includes breakage. In addition there is a 5% gov levy tax. The excess is £100 or 1% of the total value of the consignment excess whichever is the greatest. Storage risks can be covered at an additional 0.2% per month plus insurance premium tax at 5%. All shipments over £40,000 value to be advised to them and if you have a plasma tv.

When I spoke to them on the phone they told me that I would be insured from when the container was loaded and sealed and would have to send them the form before this happened. I think if you insure with Letton then they take over from when it leaves your house and cover you until you receive it at the other end. I am not that worried about a few things being broken, my main concern is if we lost the lot or it went overboard.

They were really helpful on the phone and sent me the form straight away.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Phoned Letton form sent straight away and helpful as you said, have been back to crown to see if they would drop theirs but want move from 3.7. So it looks like we will be going with Letton as £500 saving, our excess will be £250 as to £100 with crown but if we have to make a claim we will still save.

Will you be going with Letton and save much, how is it your end have you got every thing sorted ready to go.

We have still not exchange starting to get worried its go tits up. On the up side somebody has contact me from OZ about a job which looks good:eek:
was looking forward having 3 or 4 months off wife happy as not going to be under her feet.

phillip

mad.chef Aug 15th 2007 9:30 am

Originally Posted by phillip&sharon (Post 5191274)
Hi Sarah

Phoned Letton form sent straight away and helpful as you said, have been back to crown to see if they would drop theirs but want move from 3.7. So it looks like we will be going with Letton as £500 saving, our excess will be £250 as to £100 with crown but if we have to make a claim we will still save.

Will you be going with Letton and save much, how is it your end have you got every thing sorted ready to go.

We have still not exchange starting to get worried its go tits up. On the up side somebody has contact me from OZ about a job which looks good:eek:
was looking forward having 3 or 4 months off wife happy as not going to be under her feet.

phillip

Hi Phillip,

We are going with Letton, will save over £400 which is a lot. How come your excess is £250? I was only quoted £100. Still got bits and pieces to do, waiting for Westpac to set up our new accounts. Got to finish our insurance inventory, how hard is it to put a price on the kids toys, dvd's etc?

David has been looking into Chef jobs so hopefully he won't be under my feet for long! Haha.

Sarah

Alfano's Aug 15th 2007 10:00 am

Originally Posted by phillip&sharon (Post 5184588)
Thanks for that,

Good site, quite expensive though! Not worried about anything else, just the Marmite!!!! (Sad)

Just going to email Crown.

Regards
sharon

I bought some marmite with me in my hand luggage. (sad I know!!)
As long as you declare it and its unopened you will be alright!

Leeane