British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Settling in Perth 2007/8 List (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/settling-perth-2007-8-list-469263/)

storms Aug 9th 2007 11:18 am

Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Hi all

Just to let you know, we are flying today, :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Cat and dog went yesterday so all systems are go,

See you at the Barbie

:thumbsup:

Caggsy Aug 9th 2007 11:31 am

Originally Posted by storms (Post 5167759)
Hi all

See you at the Barbie

:) Safe journey! Best of luck :thumbup:

mad.chef Aug 9th 2007 1:32 pm

Hi all

See you at the Barbie

cool good look and see you over there have a good flight
Dave:thumbsup:

pam0512 Aug 9th 2007 1:59 pm

Hi all

See you at the Barbie

Have a good flight and see you on the "other side" :thumbsup:

Pam x

MOONLIGHT Aug 9th 2007 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by The Moore Family (Post 5166890)
Hi

He hasn't got a job yet, but has been speaking to a few companies who would like to see him when we get there. They don't seem very interested until you're actually in the country. How are you doing with the job hunting and when will you be arriving?
Keep in touch, i think i will need all the friends i can get as i don't know anyone in Australia and have never even been there before.

Nicky x :thumbsup:

We're hoping to be out at the end of January. will wait til we get out there before we look for jobs i think. Been looking through some paper's my brother sent over, seems to be a few in the trades we're looking for.
Defo keep in touch! :)

phillip&sharon Aug 9th 2007 5:55 pm

Hi all

See you at the Barbie

have a safe flight.:thumbsup:

phillip

The_Effys Aug 9th 2007 6:13 pm

Hi all

See you at the Barbie

Good Luck & safe journey :thumbsup: see you on the flip side :D

Time really is flying by now :eek:

Chris

phillip&sharon Aug 9th 2007 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 5163578)
Sorting out shipping stuff and just spoke to Letton Percival, who we are having our insurance through and they do a new policy now that costs 1.6% of the total cost of your valuables + 5% government levy but it now includes mould and mildew cover and pairs/sets cover. I thought this was very reasonable and a lot cheaper than our shippers who charge 3% for standard liability.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

I spoke to crown today as not sure if to go with them or letton, if we want mould and mildrew and pairs/sets cover its going to be 3.7% + 5% gov levy with £100 excess. What have they said their excess is?

The only problem is where does crown liability finish and if you have to make a claim will they blame each other which may hold up your claim.

phillip

mad.chef Aug 9th 2007 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by phillip&sharon (Post 5169741)
Hi Sarah

I spoke to crown today as not sure if to go with them or letton, if we want mould and mildrew and pairs/sets cover its going to be 3.7% + 5% gov levy with £100 excess. What have they said their excess is?

The only problem is where does crown liability finish and if you have to make a claim will they blame each other which may hold up your claim.

phillip

Hi Phillip,

They have sent me some stuff today and it say: the rate is 1.60% if professionally packed and includes breakage. In addition there is a 5% gov levy tax. The excess is £100 or 1% of the total value of the consignment excess whichever is the greatest. Storage risks can be covered at an additional 0.2% per month plus insurance premium tax at 5%. All shipments over £40,000 value to be advised to them and if you have a plasma tv.

When I spoke to them on the phone they told me that I would be insured from when the container was loaded and sealed and would have to send them the form before this happened. I think if you insure with Letton then they take over from when it leaves your house and cover you until you receive it at the other end. I am not that worried about a few things being broken, my main concern is if we lost the lot or it went overboard.

They were really helpful on the phone and sent me the form straight away.

Hope this helps.

Sarah

mad.chef Aug 11th 2007 11:10 am

We have just booked our 2 week car hire for when we arrive. We are having a Ford Focus (or similar) for £250. I think that is really cheap. When we went to Ibiza and had a car for 3 days it cost us £100.

Just got to sort out travel insurance and finish off the shipping insurance and I think we are mostly done.

Sarah

l5lmm Aug 11th 2007 11:51 am

Hi to all heading off to Perth Oct / November 2007. We are flying out from Manchester on 23rd October - arrive 24th in Perth. I start work on the 29th :o(

We will be living in Wellard with friends until we find a rental - looking at Baldivis / Success area. Probably settle south of the river when we buy.

My OH is a painter / decorator and I'm a Snr Business Systems Analyst and we have a son Harvey (4 in Sept).

Good luck to everyone !!

bev Aug 11th 2007 11:53 am

Originally Posted by The Moore Family (Post 5159897)
Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help, we need to get from Perth airport to Secret Harbour if we hire a car there will not be enough room for us and all of our luggage (8 suitcases) don't really want to hire a big people carrier because its much more expensive. Any ideas? :thumbsup:

Hi

Don't worry about booking car hire because of all the luggage, we arrived 5t weeks ago with same amount, there is loads of taxis at airport in various sizes. If u are coming straight down to Secret Harbour you will be about an hour in taxi.(Depending on time of arrival). I am not in Secret Harbour I am renting in Baldivis, moving to Harrington Waters Waikiki in week and a half.
Anyone needing info on anything please ask, i will try my best to help.

Elaine

l5lmm Aug 11th 2007 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Paula223 (Post 5138954)
we emergrated from UK Manchester just over 3yrs now

Hi - we're hoping to come to Settlers. Is it easy to get into the city as I will need to commute. I am happy to park and ride if that's an option. Also, are there good day care centres and kindys for my 4 year old?

phillip&sharon Aug 11th 2007 4:49 pm

Hi all,

My son is a Marmite fanatic!!! I know he's supposed to become a vegimite kid, but don't think that's going to happen just yet!

I was thinking of buying quite a few jars and shipping them out and also taking them in our hand luggage, to keep us going. Any thoughts from anyone with regards to whether this can happen? I thought as long as they were unopened then this would be fine.

:unsure:

regards
sharon

mad.chef Aug 11th 2007 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by phillip&sharon (Post 5177065)
Hi all,

My son is a Marmite fanatic!!! I know he's supposed to become a vegimite kid, but don't think that's going to happen just yet!

I was thinking of buying quite a few jars and shipping them out and also taking them in our hand luggage, to keep us going. Any thoughts from anyone with regards to whether this can happen? I thought as long as they were unopened then this would be fine.

:unsure:

regards
sharon

As far as I know you are not allowed to take any sort of food into the country whether it is by shipper or in your luggage. When we went they even sprayed the plane with some sort of anti-bac before we all got off. They are very strict about bringing anything into the country.

Sarah.