British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Settling in Perth 2007/8 List (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/settling-perth-2007-8-list-469263/)

Peter & Karin Aug 7th 2007 3:13 pm

Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Originally Posted by The Moore Family (Post 5158436)
Hi, we are flying out to Perth from Heathrow on 21st August and will be renting a house in Secret Harbour.
Anyone else going on the same day?

Really excited, can't wait now.:eek::thumbsup:

Hi

Me and kids fly out of Heathrow on 23rd August, got a rental in Secret Harbour (hubby already there)

Karin

The Moore Family Aug 7th 2007 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by Peter & Karin (Post 5159346)
Hi

Me and kids fly out of Heathrow on 23rd August, got a rental in Secret Harbour (hubby already there)

Karin

Hi Karin

How long has your husband been out there and what does he think of it?

I can't wait to get there, it looks so nice!!

How old are your children, will they be going to the primary school there?

Sorry for all the questions.

Would be nice to keep in touch as i don't know anyone there.

Nicky x:thumbsup:

The Moore Family Aug 7th 2007 5:24 pm

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help, we need to get from Perth airport to Secret Harbour if we hire a car there will not be enough room for us and all of our luggage (8 suitcases) don't really want to hire a big people carrier because its much more expensive. Any ideas? :thumbsup:

storey4 Aug 7th 2007 6:42 pm

Hi, we are new to the forum and are currently waiting on our visa 136.

We are hoping to move to Perth in June/July 2008 at latest.

My OH - Phil - is a carpenter/joiner so any info on where the work is, rates involved and nearest suburbs would be much appreciated!:D

Also, can anyone shed any light on what the best thing to do is when applying for jobs - is it best to apply before we go or wait until we get there and he can speak to people in person?:confused:

Hope to hear from you soon.:thumbsup:

mad.chef Aug 7th 2007 8:19 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by The Moore Family (Post 5159897)
Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help, we need to get from Perth airport to Secret Harbour if we hire a car there will not be enough room for us and all of our luggage (8 suitcases) don't really want to hire a big people carrier because its much more expensive. Any ideas? :thumbsup:

Hi The Moore Family,

How about a minbus taxi? They must have airport taxis like they do here. If I find anything I will let you know.

HERE IS THE UPDATED LIST:

Updated Lolylew with place to settle (sorry only just seen your PM)

Sarah.

mad.chef Aug 7th 2007 8:24 pm

Hi

Hi, I had a quick look on google and came up with this :

http://www.minibuscharters.com.au/transfers

There seems to be quite a few, hope this might help.

Sarah

mad.chef Aug 7th 2007 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 5160860)
Hi, I had a quick look on google and came up with this :

http://www.minibuscharters.com.au/transfers

There seems to be quite a few, hope this might help.

Sarah

Hi, need to adjust the web address. Try this

http://www.minibuscharters.com.au

mad.chef Aug 8th 2007 1:25 pm

Sorting out shipping stuff and just spoke to Letton Percival, who we are having our insurance through and they do a new policy now that costs 1.6% of the total cost of your valuables + 5% government levy but it now includes mould and mildew cover and pairs/sets cover. I thought this was very reasonable and a lot cheaper than our shippers who charge 3% for standard liability.

Sarah

The_Effys Aug 8th 2007 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 5163578)
Sorting out shipping stuff and just spoke to Letton Percival, who we are having our insurance through and they do a new policy now that costs 1.6% of the total cost of your valuables + 5% government levy but it now includes mould and mildew cover and pairs/sets cover. I thought this was very reasonable and a lot cheaper than our shippers who charge 3% for standard liability.

Sarah

He he, I was just checking out their website, am going to ring them tonight so that's good to know!

Chris

Peter & Karin Aug 8th 2007 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by The Moore Family (Post 5159617)
Hi Karin

How long has your husband been out there and what does he think of it?

I can't wait to get there, it looks so nice!!

How old are your children, will they be going to the primary school there?

Sorry for all the questions.

Would be nice to keep in touch as i don't know anyone there.

Nicky x:thumbsup:

Hi Nicky

My husband has been there since 21st July and started work on 23rd July. My 2 youngest kids are 11(girl) and 9(boy) they are going to Comet Bay primary. Unfortunately my oldest son is 17 and not coming to Oz with us(which I'm devastated about) but I can't let it hold back everyone else, so I'm dreading the goodbyes(he is staying with my parents). Would love to keep in touch, we have got a rental in Newfound St, Secret Harbour.

Karin

MOONLIGHT Aug 8th 2007 6:24 pm

Hi

Hi
I notice that your hubby is a paint sprayer, so is mine, has your husband got a job to go to yet or will you look when you get there?
We are going to look at secret Harbour but initally will be staying with rellies in Port Kennedy. I can't join the list because i can't access it on my Laptop! :)

mabozar Aug 8th 2007 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by storey4 (Post 5160260)
Hi, we are new to the forum and are currently waiting on our visa 136.

We are hoping to move to Perth in June/July 2008 at latest.

My OH - Phil - is a carpenter/joiner so any info on where the work is, rates involved and nearest suburbs would be much appreciated!:D

Also, can anyone shed any light on what the best thing to do is when applying for jobs - is it best to apply before we go or wait until we get there and he can speak to people in person?:confused:

Hope to hear from you soon.:thumbsup:

Hi,
We are planning to go to Perth quite soon too. Got visa etc and hoping to be there before end of year.

Regarding jobs, I've fired my cv to numerous companies and agencies in Oz and had quite a lot of interest, but no concrete job offers yet.
May still get lucky.

Even if I don't get job offer before we go, at the very least, I've made contact with some of the companies, and have an idea of availability of jobs.

A couple of them have said that once we have house sold and have flights booked, to give them a call and they will arrange phone interviews and maybe have something fixed up for when we arrive.

I work in oil industry, so I've no idea about pay rates for your OH, but if you contact employers and agencies in WA, they will give you an idea of rates.

So I'd say, get on the net, and look at company and job search websites for WA and start firing them emails, and see if you get lucky.

Cheers,

Ian

The Moore Family Aug 9th 2007 7:43 am

Originally Posted by MOONLIGHT (Post 5164754)
Hi
I notice that your hubby is a paint sprayer, so is mine, has your husband got a job to go to yet or will you look when you get there?
We are going to look at secret Harbour but initally will be staying with rellies in Port Kennedy. I can't join the list because i can't access it on my Laptop! :)

Hi

He hasn't got a job yet, but has been speaking to a few companies who would like to see him when we get there. They don't seem very interested until you're actually in the country. How are you doing with the job hunting and when will you be arriving?
Keep in touch, i think i will need all the friends i can get as i don't know anyone in Australia and have never even been there before.

Nicky x :thumbsup:

The Moore Family Aug 9th 2007 7:45 am

Originally Posted by mad.chef (Post 5160867)
Hi, need to adjust the web address. Try this

http://www.minibuscharters.com.au

Thankyou for your help i will give them a call.

:thumbsup:

Alfano's Aug 9th 2007 11:17 am

[QUOTE]He he, I was just checking out their website, am going to ring them tonight so that's good to know!
Chris

Hi Chris, So things are finally moving for you guys then eh?!?

Havent been on here for ages, seems a lot of you are coming to Perth in the next few months. You will love it for sure. :D

Forgive me but I haven't the time to read all the posts :o when you coming over?
Weve been NOR since March and love it, so much so weve bought already!!.

Be good to meet up with you all again, seems a lifetime ago since Billing.

Leeane & Frank