Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:57 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Settling in Perth 2007/8 List

Originally Posted by btazgallacher
Well we have arrived and i have had a permanent grin on my face since we landed . Its magic out here. Have bought a car from John Hughes dealership a Hyundai Accent sedan of just over a yr old and i am on the road again. lol

Rentals is the trickiest , just put in an application today and find out in 24 to 48 hours who whey will pick as tenants . This also means i cannot apply for any other s unless i don t mind losing my deposit 1 weeks rent .Its a bit of a catch 22 but its all good and all will work out eventually.

This country is magic :-)

Btaz
Good luck on the rental, let us know how you got on.

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We got our rental purely by luck. Having viewed a house in Port Kennedy which was gorgeous, we had carefully filled in our forms, put in a cover letter complete with copies of police clearance and names of references.

We had to pay the deposit and put the application in to the agents in Fremantle, then by accident we found another Estate agent in Fremantle and wondered in.

The agent said she wasn't busy and offered to drive us round some of their rentals. We saw one which was horrible - well from the outside as she couldn't find the keys.

She then showed us the outside of a house that was up for rent, we couldnt see inside as she hadnt organised a viewing and didnt have the keys. She said that there had been about 8 applicants for it and we thought we would have no chance.

After peaking through the windows, we liked what we saw and decided then and there to try and apply for it - yes I know, silly as we hadn't seen inside but we had a good feeling about it.

At $370 a week, it was more than the house in Port Kennedy but we both fell in love with Fremantle and decided to chance it and put in an application.

The estate agent said that they have the biggest influence as to who gets the property and told us not to worry.

Only Mr PP had a casual job and I had nothing, so we offered to pay 3 months rent up front and she refused saying it wasn't needed.

A bit later we got a call saying that we had been chosen and the rest all fell into place.

The application for the other house never made it to the agents and we have been in Freo just over two weeks.

I think it was our luck though and we are glad it all worked out but the rental market is hard and it is strange that the agents have that much power.

It was a huge gamble for us to apply for a house we hadn't seen the inside of but when we got the keys, I was amazed at how gorgeous it was and think we have landed on our feet.

I would say have every bit of info, prepare your application carefully and hope for the best.
Great post, can't believe how lucky you were, it certainly pays to be prepared and take a chance. I've put the renting part to the back of my mind, simply because i think it'll be a nightmare trying to rent with animals Still, i've got enough to worry about before we go, so it'll have to stay there

Hope everything else falls into place for you
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

UK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kevncarlz
hi all
well we got our forms logded on the 10th and got e-mail on the 15th sayin that we just waitin for a case officer so hope it wont be long
we still not sure which part of perth to go to yet so if anyone knows of a nice part close to shop,schools and parks let us know

thanx
Hi there, how are you?

Bit off the subject but just noticed where you are from, we are from Workington too! We are now living in Mandurah (40 mins south of city centre) and been here 9 months. Really enjoying it. With husband and 2 year old daughter.

Where abouts in Workington you live?

Hayley
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

OMG Its finally my turn to say next week I will be living in Perth!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
We'll have a few beers then when you get here!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all

Hi Julie hope you are all keeing well, Nathan said to say hi to Ellis and thank her for the text, hes got no credit on his phone at the moment so cant text back, will see you all soon.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
Good luck with the move and have a safe journey!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:40 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mary1967
not a peep Just read a 20 point list on the February thread about house selling (or maybe it was the January one?) - wish i'd known about it earlier!
Whats a 20 point list? Where can I find it?
Got another EA coming on Wed, hopefully we'll get some viewers then
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Whats a 20 point list? Where can I find it?
Got another EA coming on Wed, hopefully we'll get some viewers then

We've got another one coming on Friday...............the 20 point list is a list of recommendations, think i posted it on the January thread

I'll have a look.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 4:37 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

We've got another one coming on Friday...............the 20 point list is a list of recommendations, think i posted it on the January thread

I'll have a look.
I'll have a nose thru all the posts later. Kids want their tea!!! Cheek of it!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Angel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kevncarlz
hi all,
just found this forum, and even just reading this post alone has answered many questions we have. we are hoping to be in perth around about september time and have been looking at the butler and clarkson areas, does anyone live there or are planning to live there?
thanks
kev and carly
Hi there we are from whitehaven and are planning on coming out in sept, not sure which part yet. We have friends who have just built a new house in clarkson, sounds like a lovely area, my hubby went out to visit last may and really liked butler, so both are areas we are considering.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Angel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud ofAngel77 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by UK2Perth
Hi there, how are you?

Bit off the subject but just noticed where you are from, we are from Workington too! We are now living in Mandurah (40 mins south of city centre) and been here 9 months. Really enjoying it. With husband and 2 year old daughter.

Hayley
Hi hayley we are from whitehaven, me, oh,son 3 and little girl 15 months. Glad you enjoying living in perth, its nice to hear positive things as i've been having cold feet and it's nice to hear feedback from someone from the same area as us. We should be coming out in sept. Angela
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

hiya to you both,
we live in westfield and are also hoping to be in clarkson/butler area around september time as we have friends there.

Originally Posted by UK2Perth
Hi there, how are you?

Hayley
Originally Posted by Angel77
Hi there we are from whitehaven and are planning on coming out in sept, not sure which part yet. We have friends who have just built a new house in clarkson, sounds like a lovely area, my hubby went out to visit last may and really liked butler, so both are areas we are considering.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:43 am

I'll have a nose thru all the posts later. Kids want their tea!!! Cheek of it!

Sorry Tawkins, got waylaid.....................decided to have a go at cleaning the blockpaving at the front.................OMG................three hours later and it's still only have done:curse:, can hardly move this morning
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:30 am
Living the dream

Sorry Tawkins, got waylaid.....................decided to have a go at cleaning the blockpaving at the front.................OMG................three hours later and it's still only have done:curse:, can hardly move this morning

I'm cleaning like a guddun today Got new EA's coming out tomorrow
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:13 pm

I'm cleaning like a guddun today Got new EA's coming out tomorrow
Which agents are you going with? We've got Reeds Rains coming on Friday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.