British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Settling Oz - banking, healthcare etc. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/settling-oz-banking-healthcare-etc-106839/)

stuh Mar 4th 2002 3:10 pm

Settling Oz - banking, healthcare etc.

We have jsut recently got our PR visa, I am now looking at what I need to sort before we depart. IE equivalent of NI number, banking, healthcare etc etc.

Any help or notes on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Stu.

George O'Neill Mar 5th 2002 3:35 am

Re: Settling Oz - banking, healthcare etc.

stuh <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > We have jsut recently got our PR visa, I am now looking at what I need to sort
    > before we depart. IE equivalent of NI number, banking, healthcare etc etc.
    >
    > Any help or notes on this would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks Stu.

The NI number equivalent is called a Tax File Number, TFN. Just call your local
tax office when you get to Oz and they will send you a simple form. Look in the
phone book for tax . You need this before you start work or they will tax you at
99 percent.

Register for medicare at any doctor who does medicare work. Simple procedure.

You can open a bank account with the Commonwealth Bank before you leave if you wish.
Call the branch in London and they will sort it out. This is a real time and hassle
saver. You can transfer funds to your Oz account before leaving.

Which part of Oz are you headed for ?

George

Jaj Mar 5th 2002 9:35 am

>On 4 Mar 2002 20:19:09 -0800, [email protected] (George O'Neill) wrote:
    >
    >
    >The NI number equivalent is called a Tax File Number, TFN. Just call your local
    >tax office when you get to Oz and they will send you a simple form. Look in the
    >phone book for tax . You need this before you start work or they will tax you at
    >99 percent.

You're exaggerating a little George :) It's actually 48.5% if my memory is correct,
and it's refundable eventually if you don't have a tax liability. But better not to
have the problem in the first place.

You can fill out the form at the ATO office there and then (make sure you have your
passport/visa with you) and they will mail you your TFN within a few weeks.

>
    >Register for medicare at any doctor who does medicare work. Simple procedure.

I'm open to correction on this but I think the only place you can actually register
for Medicare is at a Medicare office. It's a 10 minute exercise, again you need your
passport/visa and you should get a Medicare number with a temporary card you can use
straight away. The plastic card follows in the mail a few weeks later.

>
    >You can open a bank account with the Commonwealth Bank before you leave if you wish.
    >Call the branch in London and they will sort it out. This is a real time and hassle
    >saver. You can transfer funds to your Oz account before leaving.

It's a very good idea to have an account waiting for you in Australia if you want to
transfer money in advance.

As George says, Commonwealth Bank in London do offer this service. If your own bank
has a retail network in Australia, or an association with an Australian bank, that
route might also be possible.

If you don't manage this, or if you want a second/third account with another bank,
you can open up a bank account within 6 weeks of arrival (depends on the bank) with
only your passport. After this you need to meet the '100 point' identification
system, and to do this you'd need something additional to your passport (Medicare
card, rental agreement, utility bill, driving licence etc).

Jeremy

stuh Mar 7th 2002 8:13 pm

Thanks George, we are heading to Sydney. We plan to arrive in may this year, I have not yet sorted out a job, so hoping there are a few IT jobs out there...

Again thanks for the info, I will chase up the bank acocunt in the morning.

Stu