Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Settling in to life in NZ

Settling in to life in NZ

Old Sep 7th 2003, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Settling in to life in NZ

Hello everyone, just a quick post to let you all know how we are getting on. We have now been in NZ for 2 months. I started working as a nurse 6 days after we arrived, we've bought a car and within a month a house. Our kids started the school nearest the "new house" while we lived in a motel while the paperwork was being sorted. Had to sleep on sofa beds once we moved into the house as we waited for our furniture arriving from the UK. I was never so happy to see my old bed again !!!

MAF OK'D everything except our lawn mower. They charged us $50 to have it cleaned. Will still need to buy a petrol one as the cable plus extension will not reach down our drive !!

Please remember to budget for new electrical plugs. It's surprising how much 50 plugs can cost.

Things we find expensive, curtains, blinds, some vegetables, paint and wallpaper.

Things we really miss, The Daily Mail each day and in date, Bisto Gravy Graunules and watching the BBC. We didn't come out here to watch TV, but it would be nice to have the choice.

People here have been so nice to us. Even the people selling the house loaned us a fridge while we waited for our furniture to arrive.

Nursing in NZ is quite different to the UK, not just drug names, but abbreviations. I've had to learn a whole new language. They all laugh when I give handover. {Nurses will understand , to non-nurses, it's nothing rude}. My BM's are their BSL's.

Rob and Gill

To all of you waiting to come over think "Short term pain-long term gain"
Old Sep 7th 2003, 2:31 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds great. I hope you continue to enjoy it
Old Sep 7th 2003, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Gill and Rob,
really glad to hear that you are there and well settled already! I'm sure you tols us already but which part of NZ did you go to? Any trouble finding/buying a house that you liked? I would love to hear more on the nursing thing too Gill although maybe a pm would be best in case we confuse/bore some other readers!! What kind of ward are you on? What's the moving /handling policy like compared to home and are the nurses friendly/understanding whilst you are learning their lingo!!

Sorry about all the questions but obviously this will be very relevant to me one day in the not too distant future (she says hopefully!!) although selling the house is proving to be a real pain at the moment!!

Thanks for updating the forum and hopefully you will find time here and there to continue to keep in touch!! All the very best meantime,