Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Settling In Advice

Settling In Advice

Old Nov 3rd 2007, 11:22 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Settling In Advice

I was reading through some of the relocation information we got from a removalist and having a smile at some of the helpful advice given in their settling in pack so thought I'd share:

A sample from a list of common colloquialisms (Australian Slang)
  • Bag of Fruit- nothing to do with edible fruit. This is slang for a man's suit - "He was dressed to kill in his bag of fruit"
  • Banana Bender - not an instrument for bending bananas, but an expression for a person from the state of Queensland. Usually considered to be an insult.
  • Cockroach - A person from New South Wales
  • Dill - The herb, or it could be used to decribe a person as being a simpleton or fool
  • Lolly - candy or boiled sweet. Lolly is a soft drink. If used when describing how a person acted it means they lost their temper (a little bit different from the meaning in NZ!)
      • Zack - sixpence (5 cents) - "it isn't worth a zack"

To avoid offending the residents of Brisbane take note of the following
      • Being a very diverse city try to be tolerant of other cultural beliefs
      • Being punctual is of the utmost importance
      • When eating most people find loud chewing, burping and talking with a full mouth is rude
      • Holding hands or hugging in public is common, but kissing is generally frowned upon
      • Extending your middle finger at someone is considered very rude and may get you into trouble
      • Winking at women is also considered offensive
      • Personal space is important in the Australian culture, try to keep at arms length during conversation and don't break eye contact at any time
      • If you are in a pub, remember that each person in your group is expected to pay for a round of drinks. Not doing so may look bad
      • Barbecues or "barbies" are a very popular forum of home entertaining. Remember to dress casually and socialize

A description of Bribane

Brisbane is famous for its great weather, exciting events and cultural scene, Brisbane has a sophisticated,warm and friendly charm, which will more than surprise you

Some helpful property terminology
      • House - free-standing bungalow
      • Terrace - adjoining homes
      • Unit - small complex of townhomes, may be free standing with small courtyards or gardens

And my personal favourite :

How might the local weather affect my daily life?

Queensland lives up to its reputation as the "sunshine state" with an average of 11.5 hrs of daily sunshine - 300 days a year. Its warm and sunny climate attracts many visitors keen to escape colder climates. The climate lends itself to outdoor living. Many activities are conducted outdoors. Most houses have verandahs or terraces where families and friends congregate for informal entertaining.

Hope some people find this useful.

Last edited by Nerine; Nov 3rd 2007 at 11:27 pm. Reason: spellink & bullet points
        Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:29 am
        Just Joined

silverspider is an unknown quantity at this point
        Default Re: Settling In Advice

excellent info indeed - how would you survive without that sort of insight!
        Old Nov 5th 2007, 4:51 am
        Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the removal people are having a wind up. I'm sure half of those first ones are hokum. And as for the Brisbane ones
        Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:17 am

I know!!

.....all I can say is that this was an international moving company and perhaps the advice was geared to a culture quite different from my own?

(There is an element of Borat about it though)
        Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:19 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nerine
        I was reading through some of the relocation information we got from a removalist and having a smile at some of the helpful advice given in their settling in pack so thought I'd share:

• Bag of Fruit- nothing to do with edible fruit. This is slang for a man's suit - "He was dressed to kill in his bag of fruit"
        • Banana Bender - not an instrument for bending bananas, but an expression for a person from the state of Queensland. Usually considered to be an insult.
        • Dill - The herb, or it could be used to decribe a person as being a simpleton or fool
        • Lolly - candy or boiled sweet. Lolly is a soft drink. If used when describing how a person acted it means they lost their temper (a little bit different from the meaning in NZ!)

• When eating most people find loud chewing, burping and talking with a full mouth is rude
            • Holding hands or hugging in public is common, but kissing is generally frowned upon
            • Extending your middle finger at someone is considered very rude and may get you into trouble
            • Wanking at women is also considered offensive
            • Personal space is important in the Australian culture, try to keep at arms length during conversation and don't break eye contact at any time
            • If you are in a pub, remember that each person in your group is expected to pay for a round of drinks. Not doing so may look bad
            • Barbecues or "barbies" are a very popular forum of home entertaining. Remember to dress casually and socialize

A description of Bribane

Brisbane is famous for its great weather, exciting events and cultural scene, Brisbane has a sophisticated,warm and friendly charm, which will more than surprise you

• Unit - small complex of townhomes, may be free standing with small courtyards or gardens

Queensland lives up to its reputation as the "sunshine state" with an average of 11.5 hrs of daily sunshine - 300 days a year. Its warm and sunny climate attracts many visitors keen to escape colder climates. The climate lends itself to outdoor living. Many activities are conducted outdoors. Most houses have verandahs or terraces where families and friends congregate for informal entertaining.

Top post!
              Old Nov 5th 2007, 5:23 am
              Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

• Winking at women is also considered offensive

A description of Bribane

very clever...

dont forget the designated driver, alwys gets drinks paid for, and everyone should chip in for the drivers meal !
                    Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:11 am
                    Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
                    Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Bloke regularly refers to people as Dills if they are stupid. Banana benders and cockroaches are often mentioned in the same breath as Mexicans - they are from south-of-the-brorder (ie Victoria) according to him!
                        Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:21 am
                        Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
                        The Bloke regularly refers to people as Dills if they are stupid. Banana benders and cockroaches are often mentioned in the same breath as Mexicans - they are from south-of-the-brorder (ie Victoria) according to him!
                        We've always called an idiot a dill (probably the nicest thing we've called some people) It's not an Aussie phrase.
                        Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:48 am
                        Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
                        Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
                        We've always called an idiot a dill (probably the nicest thing we've called some people) It's not an Aussie phrase.
                        The Bloke thinks a lot of Aussie-isms are just Aussie-isms - he gets quite put out when I point out I've been saying certain phrases for years back home!
                        Dill isn't a British phrase either, its a Herbist one......along with Parsley, Sage, Bayleaf the gardener, etc
                        Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:50 am
                        Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Pollyana
                        The Bloke thinks a lot of Aussie-isms are just Aussie-isms - he gets quite put out when I point out I've been saying certain phrases for years back home!
                        Dill isn't a British phrase either, its a Herbist one......along with Parsley, Sage, Bayleaf the gardener, etc
                        yup. That's British though, isn't it
                        Old Nov 5th 2007, 7:50 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Dill - Herb?

Nah, more like a classic Aussie shortening of a longer word, with only one 'l' too.

Trips off the tongue better than 'Vib' or 'Rab' I suppose.
                        Old Nov 5th 2007, 9:01 am

...and here's me thinking it was from the spaced out Dylon from Magic Roundabout....
                        Old Nov 5th 2007, 11:18 am
                        BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
                        Dill - Herb?

Nah, more like a classic Aussie shortening of a longer word, with only one 'l' too.

Trips off the tongue better than 'Vib' or 'Rab' I suppose.
                        trust you to point that out!