British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Setting up your own business (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/setting-up-your-own-business-672219/)

Cheetah7 Jun 13th 2010 8:38 am

Setting up your own business

I thought I would start a thread for ideas on setting up a business/those that have done so successfully.

Mr PP said he often thinks about being self employed but I think we are a bit nervous as we dont have enough cash to float us while things take off. I do however, find it quite inspirational when I read about people that have set up their own business and made a success of it.

Someone once told me that if you are good at something and enjoy it then there is a way of making money out of it - which I suppose is true. I have been asked to do a simple video for a bird rescue centre - I will do it for nothing as it is good practise but it makes me wonder if I had the right equipment, could there be something in it for me - perhaps not enough to do it as a profession but as a sideline at least?

Mr PP would love to own a little cafe - something he would really like to do, but it doesnt have to stop there, menu planning, private functions etc, there is alot of scope to develop and do well but I think its knowing where/how to start really. Me, well if I had the opportunity I would do writing and creative stuff for a living, I would love to have a sort of 'mentor' to guide me.

Have you ever ditched your 'old job' and set up by yourself and done well? Was it the total opposite of where you had been working?

Centurion Jun 13th 2010 9:35 am

Re: Setting up your own business

Yes. Twice in fact. Once in the UK where my wife and I built businesses from scratch and migrated to Australia on the proceeds of subsequent sale. Again when I re-skilled here in about as a wildly different a field as I could imagine. It got to the point where I turned away clients and have now retreated into the safety of full time study for a while.

Perhaps the worst part is having the gumption enough to just make the jump into a dream leaving behind the security of what you know. But I firmly believe that if you are hard working, have an excellent realistic vision of what you want to achieve and your business idea is viable you will succeed.

Above all, never, ever, buy someone else's business. If you have a good idea you don't need anyone else to make it work. I really never understand the Australian fascination with franchises. Frankly, as far I can see, a European work ethic and desire to see beyond "she'll be right" means your off to a flying start over other businesses start ups here ! :)

Cheetah7 Jun 13th 2010 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8629706)
Yes. Twice in fact. Once in the UK where my wife and I built businesses from scratch and migrated to Australia on the proceeds of subsequent sale. Again when I re-skilled here in about as a wildly different a field as I could imagine. It got to the point where I turned away clients and have now retreated into the safety of full time study for a while.

Perhaps the worst part is having the gumption enough to just make the jump into a dream leaving behind the security of what you know. But I firmly believe that if you are hard working, have an excellent realistic vision of what you want to achieve and your business idea is viable you will succeed.

Above all, never, ever, buy someone else's business. If you have a good idea you don't need anyone else to make it work. I really never understand the Australian fascination with franchises. Frankly, as far I can see, a European work ethic and desire to see beyond "she'll be right" means your off to a flying start over other businesses start ups here ! :)

I have lots of ideas, just no idea of how to 'plant them':o

cally49 Jun 13th 2010 10:01 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8629717)
I have lots of ideas, just no idea of how to 'plant them':o

Hi there PP where are you? Because i heard a while back that there is some sort of Mentoring available in NZ for people new to business. prob already have to have a business started though):)
Cheers
Cally

Sherlock Holmes Jun 13th 2010 11:07 am

Not sure if this helps but...through my volunteer work and being on the committe of the local Pastoral and Agricultural Society (my wife was secretary) it became apparant that there was a gap in the market between what people could reasonably print at home and what was on offer from an established printer. The gap was, small scale runs, being available locally and keeping the price down. I now have work for most of the local societies and a few small, private jobs. Nothing brilliant but it adds to our income.

My point really is, what is missing that should be on offer locally. If you can identify that you should be okay.

Of course, the age old problem is having a bit of capital as start up.

Coppock Jun 13th 2010 11:21 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8629805)
Not sure if this helps but...through my volunteer work and being on the committe of the local Pastoral and Agricultural Society (my wife was secretary) it became apparant that there was a gap in the market between what people could reasonably print at home and what was on offer from an established printer. The gap was, small scale runs, being available locally and keeping the price down. I now have work for most of the local societies and a few small, private jobs. Nothing brilliant but it adds to our income.

My point really is, what is missing that should be on offer locally. If you can identify that you should be okay.

Lol becoming a digital printer is a good way of starting a business, the equipment takes a fair bit of capital, and when there's problems with the machines it can be a real nightmare getting work printed for the deadlines.

You could always try to outsource to low cost printers and add your cut - there's a few in the UK, but it's how it would compare competitively once you've added postage to oz!

Anyhow - i'd recommend setting up your own business to anyone. As long as you have perseverance, willingness to change and listen, and become passionate about what you do and the benefits you are providing in other peoples lives!

There's loads of jobs in the UK that people set up online from home. A lot of them are business to business and include virtual receptionists, admin, data imput etc,

The best way to start a business though, is either stick to what you're an expert in, or everytime a friend complains about something write it down and think "how can I solve that..."

For instance;

1. "I hate the queues at that shop"
2. "I got my haircut and it took forever"
3. "I would love someone to sort that out for me"
4. "I would love to have one of those in our town"....

All those complaints can easily be turned around into solutions;

1. They must be doing well to have queues, and people can't be bothered waiting why don't I start something similar but make it faster or more efficient!
2. Why don't I find some good hairdressers that are quick and offer funky modern styles, then set up my own mobile hairdresser service paying them set fees per haircut etc, and eventually own my own salon!
3. I can't sort it out - but I can find someone who can! If I charge $200 and pay them $100 then I'm onto a winner!
4. I wonder how many other people want one of those in our town... ask around and if there's a good level of interest, set one up or ask about starting a franchise.

The truth is, there's opportunities everywhere, you just need to have the strength and courage to give it a go. There's always going to be ups and downs, and when you're the only person you know running a business it can be very isolated, but it's worth it in the end!

Good luck!
Jen

Cheetah7 Jun 13th 2010 11:42 am

Originally Posted by cally49 (Post 8629724)
Hi there PP where are you? Because i heard a while back that there is some sort of Mentoring available in NZ for people new to business. prob already have to have a business started though):)
Cheers
Cally

Im in Perth, I really would like to meet like minded creative people. As for Mr PP, I think it is purely down to money to achieve his dream of owning a cafe.

I can do creative stuff while working in my full time job, but its knowing the ins/outs and how to do things that would help.

Cheetah7 Jun 13th 2010 11:42 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8629805)

That is a very good point and certainly something to consider. :thumbup:

Am Loolah Jun 13th 2010 11:58 am

Hi PP,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in from across the ditch!:)

I started my first business aged 24 in London. My daughter was turning 2 and since I'd had her I'd been working in a local children's nursery so that I could still be with her, but also earn an income. I negotiated a property that I could turn the ground floor into a nursery and thus my 1st business was born ...

I semi-retired and had it run under management after 4 years.

I sold it as a going concern after 9 years.

My husband then bought a pub with a mate.

After getting stitched up by said mate we vowed never to go into business with a so-called friend again, even though we came out of it quids in ...

After having moved from UK to NZ and been here 2+ years I started another business from scratch. 9 months in I am about to go into a high profile office location as it has got too big to run on my own from home.:thumbup:

It takes a certain kind of person/personality to run your own business. I love it as I'm quite a control freak. BUT, it will devour your time, finances and soul ... if you reap rewards be they financial or personal all good, for me it works. But, I've seen other people be consumed and fall ... not pretty.

If you decide to do it, join your local Chamber of Commerce and see if there's some kind of Business Funding Enterprise Scheme. My business here is probably 90% referrals ...

Good luck.

Cheetah7 Jun 13th 2010 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8629880)
Hi PP,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in from across the ditch!:)

I started my first business aged 24 in London. My daughter was turning 2 and since I'd had her I'd been working in a local children's nursery so that I could still be with her, but also earn an income. I negotiated a property that I could turn the ground floor into a nursery and thus my 1st business was born ...

I semi-retired and had it run under management after 4 years.

I sold it as a going concern after 9 years.

My husband then bought a pub with a mate.

After getting stitched up by said mate we vowed never to go into business with a so-called friend again, even though we came out of it quids in ...

After having moved from UK to NZ and been here 2+ years I started another business from scratch. 9 months in I am about to go into a high profile office location as it has got too big to run on my own from home.:thumbup:

It takes a certain kind of person/personality to run your own business. I love it as I'm quite a control freak. BUT, it will devour your time, finances and soul ... if you reap rewards be they financial or personal all good, for me it works. But, I've seen other people be consumed and fall ... not pretty.

If you decide to do it, join your local Chamber of Commerce and see if there's some kind of Business Funding Enterprise Scheme. My business here is probably 90% referrals ...

Good luck.

That is bloody awesome - everything you have done. :thumbsup::wub:

I think my creative streak is in many ways my own ball and chain, its really hard knowing what to do and where to begin.

Although I love movie making, film editing and would love to do a film making course at TAFE, but its full time and would mean re-mortgaging the house which is something we are not prepared to do.

I can do my own stuff though I guess and take it from there.:)

ABCDiamond Jun 13th 2010 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8629646)
I thought I would start a thread for ideas on setting up a business/those that have done so successfully.

Mr PP said he often thinks about being self employed but I think we are a bit nervous as we dont have enough cash to float us while things take off. I do however, find it quite inspirational when I read about people that have set up their own business and made a success of it.

Someone once told me that if you are good at something and enjoy it then there is a way of making money out of it - which I suppose is true. I have been asked to do a simple video for a bird rescue centre - I will do it for nothing as it is good practise but it makes me wonder if I had the right equipment, could there be something in it for me - perhaps not enough to do it as a profession but as a sideline at least?

Mr PP would love to own a little cafe - something he would really like to do, but it doesnt have to stop there, menu planning, private functions etc, there is alot of scope to develop and do well but I think its knowing where/how to start really. Me, well if I had the opportunity I would do writing and creative stuff for a living, I would love to have a sort of 'mentor' to guide me.

Have you ever ditched your 'old job' and set up by yourself and done well? Was it the total opposite of where you had been working?

Yes :thumbup:

Each of my businesses has been started from something that I just fancied doing at the time, and there have been a few :lol:

I just realised, if I had your skills with words I reckon I could make a fortune :D

You may have seen my signature elsewhere "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life". It really does hold true.

Am Loolah Jun 13th 2010 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8629886)
That is bloody awesome - everything you have done. :thumbsup::wub:

I think my creative streak is in many ways my own ball and chain, its really hard knowing what to do and where to begin.

Although I love movie making, film editing and would love to do a film making course at TAFE, but its full time and would mean re-mortgaging the house which is something we are not prepared to do.

I can do my own stuff though I guess and take it from there.:)

I guess the "problem" with a creative streak is how do you turn it in to a money spinner?

It's not my number one choice to do the business that I do, but I don't know how else to generate an income.

My dream is to grow the hairs on my legs and make marmalade, whilst living in a beach front shack writing best selling novels with my faithful Doberman at my heels. (Well, it'd have to be a new Doberman for a start as my got put down on Friday.:cry_smile:) But with 4 kids and recently separated, the only bread winner etc, etc ... I will hold on to that dream until the kids are older and I'm in a better financial situation.

By which time the hairs on my legs may be so long I can knit blankets for disadvantaged children in Third World countries AND sell them my books ... :rolleyes:

Cheetah7 Jun 13th 2010 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8629892)
Yes :thumbup:

Each of my businesses has been started from something that I just fancied doing at the time, and there have been a few :lol:

I just realised, if I had your skills with words I reckon I could make a fortune :D

You may have seen my signature elsewhere "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life". It really does hold true.

Well I am quite excited, a simple video I did for a rescue place, they really liked it and they have asked me to do another one.

I enjoy writing, video editing, photography - captioning photos. It would be brilliant to do my own advertising campaign.

Its been a bit of a struggle this past 12 months, Mr PP is getting stronger but Ive still got this bloody PTSD which I am getting therapy for and when I have an 'episode', I have no creativity :unsure:

Now I have the spare bedroom as my little 'office', I just need the movie making software and I can get started, god knows which direction it goes in but if I can make a start it will be something.:o

Janna and Nick Jun 13th 2010 1:40 pm

I am the same PP. I am creative and into many things and hate the 9 - 5 boring corporate world that I am in at the moment. I am constantly trying to find other ways of generating income as a self employed person but on the one hand I am so scared of taking that leap and failing. You get so used to having the financial stability of the corporate world. On the other hand, I have no clear direction of where I should be heading.

Its great that you have an opportunity to pursue something you enjoy and I wish you every sucess. If it's something you enjoy doing, I am sure you'll make a success of it! Of course keep us posted!:wub:

doub Jun 13th 2010 10:26 pm

After selling our sign/digital print business in the UK we moved over here but I wanted to go with a job that returned some creative job satisfaction so we started a business called Breeze Photos, we produce canvas pictures ... it's really rewarding and if you have a passion for something, I recommend anybody starting a new life over here to give it a go ..... we have just sold our 6th franchise and are loving every minute of it!

Sherlock Holmes Jun 13th 2010 10:41 pm

To PP...I see that creativity and printing have cropped up a few times now on this thread.

If you are creative, you can combine the two by offering a Design and Print service. There is not much in terms of $$ per hour for the Design aspect but that is the bit I enjoy. I then make my money on the printing. The other day I had to spend wads on some paper. I tentitively asked for a discount and got $5.00 a ream off. No argument. At $36.50 a ream, it was worth it.

I do offer a print only service but to be honest, most people haven't got a clue about layout etc and the files that they bring along are rubbish. The problem is that if you print it and it looks crap, it has your name on it. So I usually manage to convince them that I know best and redo it for them.

I am not at all artistic but seem to have got on well with CAD.

I bought a completely refurbished Toshiba E451 C second hand for $2,500.00 which included a new drum and new ink. Something similar new will cost $12-13,000. You need to check previous usage levels of course.

ABCDiamond Jun 13th 2010 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by doub (Post 8630755)
After selling our sign/digital print business in the UK we moved over here but I wanted to go with a job that returned some creative job satisfaction so we started a business called Breeze Photos, we produce canvas pictures ... it's really rewarding and if you have a passion for something, I recommend anybody starting a new life over here to give it a go ..... we have just sold our 6th franchise and are loving every minute of it!

Your Breeze Photos website is really good, I am envious :thumbup:

Cheetah7 Jun 14th 2010 6:43 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8630785)
To PP...I see that creativity and printing have cropped up a few times now on this thread.

If you are creative, you can combine the two by offering a Design and Print service. There is not much in terms of $$ per hour for the Design aspect but that is the bit I enjoy. I then make my money on the printing. The other day I had to spend wads on some paper. I tentitively asked for a discount and got $5.00 a ream off. No argument. At $36.50 a ream, it was worth it.

I do offer a print only service but to be honest, most people haven't got a clue about layout etc and the files that they bring along are rubbish. The problem is that if you print it and it looks crap, it has your name on it. So I usually manage to convince them that I know best and redo it for them.

I am not at all artistic but seem to have got on well with CAD.

I bought a completely refurbished Toshiba E451 C second hand for $2,500.00 which included a new drum and new ink. Something similar new will cost $12-13,000. You need to check previous usage levels of course.

Ive just been on Seek.com looking for creative jobs/opportunities :o

Sherlock Holmes Jun 14th 2010 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8631483)
Ive just been on Seek.com looking for creative jobs/opportunities :o

Whacko!

Cheetah7 Jun 14th 2010 7:31 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8631531)
Whacko!

There is bugger all on there anyway, mainly graphic design jobs.

Bushcat Jun 14th 2010 8:43 am

I think there are plenty of business opportunities to be had in Australia if you have the spunk to carry out some hard work.

Here's a very interesting radio show about making a career change from ABC Radio....

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lifematters...10/2911305.htm

Good luck

bluekipper Jun 14th 2010 8:53 am

I to have been contemplating setting up my own business,, a not for profit one though because it would be to help people quit smoking, the stop smoking sevice here is terrible,, no drop in sessions/closed groups in the local community, people want more than a helpline, they want face to face in depth holistic counselling, I would be happy to link in with the Nicotine replacement therapy companies, tried emailing them, to no avail, starting a new job now so dont know when & how I could get my service up & running????? ;)

Bluekipper

Cheetah7 Jun 14th 2010 8:58 am

Ive been working from home today and inbetween doing stuff, Ive been googling things, nothing in particular, or perhaps inspiration to help me get writing again.

In fact now work email is switched off, I am googling again - still not knowing quite where to start but looking for anything to plant ideas.

That didnt make sense, Im sorry - I shall go back to googling.:o

Sherlock Holmes Jun 14th 2010 10:57 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 8631531)
Whacko!

ooops...maybe not whacko after all. Sorreeeee!

doub Jun 15th 2010 3:30 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8630862)
Your Breeze Photos website is really good, I am envious :thumbup:

lonndongeek Jun 15th 2010 3:42 am

Originally Posted by bluekipper (Post 8631644)
I to have been contemplating setting up my own business,, a not for profit one though because it would be to help people quit smoking, the stop smoking sevice here is terrible,, no drop in sessions/closed groups in the local community, people want more than a helpline, they want face to face in depth holistic counselling, I would be happy to link in with the Nicotine replacement therapy companies, tried emailing them, to no avail, starting a new job now so dont know when & how I could get my service up & running????? ;)

Bluekipper

Have you tried speaking to local GPs or chemists? When I gave up smoking, my GP was the first 'professional' I spoke to.

Cheers

Steve

daunted Jun 15th 2010 6:44 am

Have often dreamed of working for myself like you PP - and have also shared Mr PP dream of a cafe - some one said to me recently that 'fear if the thief of dreams' - ok so money, or lack of it also helps but where there is a will there is a way.

I recently put together a 5 year plan, determined to be doing something completely different and possible for myself at the end of that time frame. On Monday I took the first step by enrolling on the course that will help get me where I want to be. Gonna be damned hard work fitting in the study with full time work and the kids BUT i really really want this and Im the only person that can make it happen.......

......as are you! Go for it babe, work out what you want to do and jump right on in! You will be fab xxx

Cheetah7 Jun 15th 2010 7:11 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 8633736)
Have often dreamed of working for myself like you PP - and have also shared Mr PP dream of a cafe - some one said to me recently that 'fear if the thief of dreams' - ok so money, or lack of it also helps but where there is a will there is a way.

I recently put together a 5 year plan, determined to be doing something completely different and possible for myself at the end of that time frame. On Monday I took the first step by enrolling on the course that will help get me where I want to be. Gonna be damned hard work fitting in the study with full time work and the kids BUT i really really want this and Im the only person that can make it happen.......

......as are you! Go for it babe, work out what you want to do and jump right on in! You will be fab xxx

I cant wait till you can come over, we can put the world to rights over a bottle of wine :wub:

simfaisal Jun 15th 2010 7:18 am

Hi,
I'm an IT professional with 18 years experience. What are the possiblities for a start up IT firm somewhere in Melly or Sydney in the following areas mainly focusing on small business initially.

1. Webdesigning & Electronic Commerce (ecommerce)
2. Computer Hardware and complete Network solutions (LAN/WAN) etc
4. Turnkey Business/ITConsulting solutions

Anyone having similar thoughts? or have done already

Best regards
simfaisal
:thumbup:

daunted Jun 15th 2010 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8633800)
I cant wait till you can come over, we can put the world to rights over a bottle of wine :wub:

Me neither - though dont think its gonna be this weekend as hoped. Im strapped up and in a sling with a knackered AC joint in my shoulder. Week off work and some lovely drugs helping but not sure i will be drivin anywhere other than physio :(

Cheetah7 Jun 15th 2010 9:02 am

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 8633926)
Me neither - though dont think its gonna be this weekend as hoped. Im strapped up and in a sling with a knackered AC joint in my shoulder. Week off work and some lovely drugs helping but not sure i will be drivin anywhere other than physio :(

Oh my god, how did you do that? Do you get sick pay?:eek:

bluekipper Jun 15th 2010 10:23 am

Originally Posted by lonndongeek (Post 8633495)
Have you tried speaking to local GPs or chemists? When I gave up smoking, my GP was the first 'professional' I spoke to.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, no I havent spoken to anyone about it really, its a dream I have, as the service here in SA is a joke, I want to bring it to the community, but although I can deliver the sevice, even train new staff (did all that in my last role) I have no business brain........ theres my down fall straight away

Bluekipper

daunted Jun 15th 2010 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8633928)
Oh my god, how did you do that? Do you get sick pay?:eek:

using an overloaded wheel barrow would you believe!! :blink: Thankfully Yes I am entitled to sick pay :thumbsup:

Cheetah7 Jun 15th 2010 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by daunted (Post 8634413)
using an overloaded wheel barrow would you believe!! :blink: Thankfully Yes I am entitled to sick pay :thumbsup:

How long do you reckon it will take to heal?