Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up your own business

Setting up your own business

Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:41 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up your own business

To PP...I see that creativity and printing have cropped up a few times now on this thread.

If you are creative, you can combine the two by offering a Design and Print service. There is not much in terms of $$ per hour for the Design aspect but that is the bit I enjoy. I then make my money on the printing. The other day I had to spend wads on some paper. I tentitively asked for a discount and got $5.00 a ream off. No argument. At $36.50 a ream, it was worth it.

I do offer a print only service but to be honest, most people haven't got a clue about layout etc and the files that they bring along are rubbish. The problem is that if you print it and it looks crap, it has your name on it. So I usually manage to convince them that I know best and redo it for them.

I am not at all artistic but seem to have got on well with CAD.

I bought a completely refurbished Toshiba E451 C second hand for $2,500.00 which included a new drum and new ink. Something similar new will cost $12-13,000. You need to check previous usage levels of course.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by doub
After selling our sign/digital print business in the UK we moved over here but I wanted to go with a job that returned some creative job satisfaction so we started a business called Breeze Photos, we produce canvas pictures ... it's really rewarding and if you have a passion for something, I recommend anybody starting a new life over here to give it a go ..... we have just sold our 6th franchise and are loving every minute of it!
Your Breeze Photos website is really good, I am envious

Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:43 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
To PP...I see that creativity and printing have cropped up a few times now on this thread.

If you are creative, you can combine the two by offering a Design and Print service. There is not much in terms of $$ per hour for the Design aspect but that is the bit I enjoy. I then make my money on the printing. The other day I had to spend wads on some paper. I tentitively asked for a discount and got $5.00 a ream off. No argument. At $36.50 a ream, it was worth it.

I do offer a print only service but to be honest, most people haven't got a clue about layout etc and the files that they bring along are rubbish. The problem is that if you print it and it looks crap, it has your name on it. So I usually manage to convince them that I know best and redo it for them.

I am not at all artistic but seem to have got on well with CAD.

I bought a completely refurbished Toshiba E451 C second hand for $2,500.00 which included a new drum and new ink. Something similar new will cost $12-13,000. You need to check previous usage levels of course.
Ive just been on Seek.com looking for creative jobs/opportunities
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:15 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Ive just been on Seek.com looking for creative jobs/opportunities
Whacko!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:31 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Whacko!
There is bugger all on there anyway, mainly graphic design jobs.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Bushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant futureBushcat has a brilliant future

I think there are plenty of business opportunities to be had in Australia if you have the spunk to carry out some hard work.

Here's a very interesting radio show about making a career change from ABC Radio....

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/lifematters...10/2911305.htm

Good luck
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:53 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I to have been contemplating setting up my own business,, a not for profit one though because it would be to help people quit smoking, the stop smoking sevice here is terrible,, no drop in sessions/closed groups in the local community, people want more than a helpline, they want face to face in depth holistic counselling, I would be happy to link in with the Nicotine replacement therapy companies, tried emailing them, to no avail, starting a new job now so dont know when & how I could get my service up & running?????

Bluekipper
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:58 am

Ive been working from home today and inbetween doing stuff, Ive been googling things, nothing in particular, or perhaps inspiration to help me get writing again.

In fact now work email is switched off, I am googling again - still not knowing quite where to start but looking for anything to plant ideas.

That didnt make sense, Im sorry - I shall go back to googling.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:57 am
221b Baker Street

Whacko!
ooops...maybe not whacko after all. Sorreeeee!
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Your Breeze Photos website is really good, I am envious
Thanks
Old Jun 15th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluekipper
I to have been contemplating setting up my own business,, a not for profit one though because it would be to help people quit smoking, the stop smoking sevice here is terrible,, no drop in sessions/closed groups in the local community, people want more than a helpline, they want face to face in depth holistic counselling, I would be happy to link in with the Nicotine replacement therapy companies, tried emailing them, to no avail, starting a new job now so dont know when & how I could get my service up & running?????

Bluekipper
Have you tried speaking to local GPs or chemists? When I gave up smoking, my GP was the first 'professional' I spoke to.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 15th 2010, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Have often dreamed of working for myself like you PP - and have also shared Mr PP dream of a cafe - some one said to me recently that 'fear if the thief of dreams' - ok so money, or lack of it also helps but where there is a will there is a way.

I recently put together a 5 year plan, determined to be doing something completely different and possible for myself at the end of that time frame. On Monday I took the first step by enrolling on the course that will help get me where I want to be. Gonna be damned hard work fitting in the study with full time work and the kids BUT i really really want this and Im the only person that can make it happen.......

......as are you! Go for it babe, work out what you want to do and jump right on in! You will be fab xxx
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by daunted
Have often dreamed of working for myself like you PP - and have also shared Mr PP dream of a cafe - some one said to me recently that 'fear if the thief of dreams' - ok so money, or lack of it also helps but where there is a will there is a way.

I recently put together a 5 year plan, determined to be doing something completely different and possible for myself at the end of that time frame. On Monday I took the first step by enrolling on the course that will help get me where I want to be. Gonna be damned hard work fitting in the study with full time work and the kids BUT i really really want this and Im the only person that can make it happen.......

......as are you! Go for it babe, work out what you want to do and jump right on in! You will be fab xxx
I cant wait till you can come over, we can put the world to rights over a bottle of wine
Old Jun 15th 2010, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

simfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nicesimfaisal is just really nice

Hi,
I'm an IT professional with 18 years experience. What are the possiblities for a start up IT firm somewhere in Melly or Sydney in the following areas mainly focusing on small business initially.

1. Webdesigning & Electronic Commerce (ecommerce)
2. Computer Hardware and complete Network solutions (LAN/WAN) etc
4. Turnkey Business/ITConsulting solutions

Anyone having similar thoughts? or have done already

Best regards
simfaisal
Old Jun 15th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I cant wait till you can come over, we can put the world to rights over a bottle of wine
Me neither - though dont think its gonna be this weekend as hoped. Im strapped up and in a sling with a knackered AC joint in my shoulder. Week off work and some lovely drugs helping but not sure i will be drivin anywhere other than physio

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.