Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up a new company

Setting up a new company

Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:11 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Setting up a new company

I think I have found myself a job but having found it myself there is no agency to take care of payroll and as it is short-term initially I will not become an employee so setting myself up as a company / sole-trader seems likely.

Has anyone done this and can offer advice?

I am unlikely to work for anyone else at the same time so am wary about tax rules treating me like an employee.

Do I have to charge GST and do GST returns?

What does it typically cost to set up and what are the annual fees for registration / tax& audit etc?

Better still, can anyone recommend a company north of Perth that can help with this sort of thing?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up a new company

Originally Posted by worzel
I think I have found myself a job but having found it myself there is no agency to take care of payroll and as it is short-term initially I will not become an employee so setting myself up as a company / sole-trader seems likely.

I am unlikely to work for anyone else at the same time so am wary about tax rules treating me like an employee.

What does it typically cost to set up and what are the annual fees for registration / tax& audit etc?

Better still, can anyone recommend a company north of Perth that can help with this sort of thing?
can't help but just wanted to congratulate you on the job.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Ill keep my eye on this one, as we have just done our 2 years for company that sponsored us so are looking into starting own business also.
Thanks, Denise
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:37 am
Just Joined

Todd778 is an unknown quantity at this point

for registering the company log on to http://www.business.gov.au/Business+...iness+name.htm
it will cost you around $A75 and will take 10/15 minutes, you will need ABN no. for that, if you don't have one you can register online for that too.

Registering for GST is not compulsory till your income is $50,000 p/a plus

You have to file your tax returns in June-Oct and you need to regularly do book keeping so that your accountant can file easily for you. best of luck..

if anyone feels any different, then this please guide...
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to register as a Pty Ltd (private limited company) you will need to do this through ASIC (www.asic.gov.au). Registration when we did it a year ago was I think $900 but I believe this may have halved now.

We used a good company called Incorporate (check out the web) who basically registered and set up the business - they then supply everything letterheads, list of directors etc on a file vie e-mail. I would recommend them.

Annual fees - we've just paid ours - $215. No idea about auditing - we sailed through the end of tax year (30th June) without any problems - get yourself an accountant who is well established and who the ATO trust. Then there seem to be few problems.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the job.

Are you thinking of the regulations on personal services income? I have this problem as I work solely for one client and can't employ anyone else to do principal work. Could you work for another client on the side? I think you need to generate at least 20% of revenues from a different source. It's not as much of an issue now that tax rates have come down, but I was slaughtered in my first two years of trading.

Other than that, I found it easy and cheap to set up.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Todd778;4262446]
it will cost you around $A75 and will take 10/15 minutes, you will need ABN no. for that, if you don't have one you can register online for that too.

QUOTE]

Are you sure that this doesn't just register the business name (trading name)?
The bigger costs are in the actual registering (set up) of the company.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:17 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

By the sounds of it I don't want to set up a company because of all the expense given that this is only a 3 month initial contract (although that could either get extended or I could be taken on permanently or leave to do something else - my last job in the UK was a 3 month contract which kept getting extended and I was there 2 1/2 years in the end so who knows).

I am sure I have seen accounting firms offering a free hours consultation in the past but cannot find any now. Is it tax return time?

Maybe a sole-tradership makes more sense though I think I might still need to get an ABN number and register for / do returns for GST ($50k threshold per year - pro rata?). It needs to be simple(ish) at this stage.

I have previously (UK) been employed by an "umbrella company" - I gave them 30GBP per week and in return they acted as the ltd company and passed on the tax breaks to me which was worth an extra 50GBP net per week. Has anyone heard of this sort of thing out here?
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:19 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone.

By the sounds of it I don't want to set up a company because of all the expense given that this is only a 3 month initial contract (although that could either get extended or I could be taken on permanently or leave to do something else - my last job in the UK was a 3 month contract which kept getting extended and I was there 2 1/2 years in the end so who knows).

I am sure I have seen accounting firms offering a free hours consultation in the past but cannot find any now. Is it tax return time?

Maybe a sole-tradership makes more sense though I think I might still need to get an ABN number and register for / do returns for GST ($50k threshold per year - pro rata?). It needs to be simple(ish) at this stage.

I have previously (UK) been employed by an "umbrella company" - I gave them 30GBP per week and in return they acted as the ltd company and passed on the tax breaks to me which was worth an extra 50GBP net per week. Has anyone heard of this sort of thing out here?
yes there is something like this, will ask the old man (oil and gas contracter) when he gets home and will PM you later tonight.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 8:22 am
A former regular of BE

I just got told that the company is no longer taking on people as direct contractors, only through agencies so that puts and end to this question.

The good news is that we have agreed on a rate and subject to medicals I am going back to my old job (with a pay rise) on Monday. Shame that my month's holiday is over but it coincides with the last day Alinta are paying me up to so it all worked out wonderfully.