Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

setting up new bank account in oz

setting up new bank account in oz

Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

rhona is on a distinguished road
Default setting up new bank account in oz

I am due to emigrate to adelaide around april next year. Is it worth setting up a bank account just now or is it too quick? With the exchange rate rising a bit i thought i could transfer some money now and again.
Any thoughts?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default Re: setting up new bank account in oz

Originally Posted by rhona
I am due to emigrate to adelaide around april next year. Is it worth setting up a bank account just now or is it too quick? With the exchange rate rising a bit i thought i could transfer some money now and again.
Any thoughts?
if you set up an account in australia you only have 90days to turn up in a branch in aus and validate it (at least this is the case with westpca..so can only assume its the same with them all)...so no point in opening an account until late jan or early feb if you arnt going till april...
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:46 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
if you set up an account in australia you only have 90days to turn up in a branch in aus and validate it (at least this is the case with westpca..so can only assume its the same with them all)...so no point in opening an account until late jan or early feb if you arnt going till april...
I think though that it is possible to transfer funds to AUD to an Aus account in advance..... HSBC premier offer this facility (I think....) but you have to have £50k in savings or a mortgage with them for the priviledge....
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:21 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

HI,
Have a look at this webpage http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/ it tells you more and there are contact numbers if you need more help. The Commonwealth bank has more ATM so more chance of one local which avoids cost.
Gary
Old Sep 16th 2008, 11:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nicescrubbedexpat001 is just really nice

Search the forum - these topics have been covered numerous times before...

You can open bank accounts now from the UK with an OZ bank and validate when you get to OZ - be that a month, a week but no more than a year with Commonwealth Bank Of Australia. You transfer the £'s -> $'s when you choose to from your UK holding a/c to the oz account (or leave it in your UK bank & transfer to the UK holding account via internet banking).

But like I said, search the forums, you find plenty of posts from myself & others on this very topic.

OPs - how about stickying some of these commonly asked questions, maybe in an FAQ?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat001; Sep 16th 2008 at 11:51 am.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for their replies that gives me somewhere to start from.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:41 am
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice

The National Australia Bank can also do account opening before you get to Aus. They have a UK-based migrant banking team who go to all the Emigrate and Opportunities shows and you can fill in the forms there and then.

Alternatively try their website http://www.nabgroup.com/0,,84619,00.html

good luck
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:43 am
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice

One additional point is that it is easier to set up the account before you go than when you arrive as you will need to provide proof of residence (e.g. utility bill) in order to open an account in Aus - it may take you a while to get one of these in your own name...
Old Sep 19th 2008, 9:50 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by filcomm
Search the forum - these topics have been covered numerous times before...

You can open bank accounts now from the UK with an OZ bank and validate when you get to OZ - be that a month, a week but no more than a year with Commonwealth Bank Of Australia. You transfer the £'s -> $'s when you choose to from your UK holding a/c to the oz account (or leave it in your UK bank & transfer to the UK holding account via internet banking).

But like I said, search the forums, you find plenty of posts from myself & others on this very topic.

OPs - how about stickying some of these commonly asked questions, maybe in an FAQ?

Commonwealth has a branch in London you can validate at
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:19 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
Commonwealth has a branch in London you can validate at
Westpac have as well.

Gina
Old Sep 21st 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

thanks again guys
Old Sep 28th 2008, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

darlo 2 adelaide will become famous soon enoughdarlo 2 adelaide will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: setting up new bank account in oz

Originally Posted by rhona
thanks again guys

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm off to adelaide in February time.

Sarah