Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up home in OZ!!!!to people already there i guess!

Setting up home in OZ!!!!to people already there i guess!

Old Jul 21st 2003, 7:46 pm

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up home in OZ!!!!to people already there i guess!

hi there,

i was trying to add up how much roughly it would cost to set up a new home over there, i havent got much stuff here in the uk to take across so i will be starting with a blank canvas, if you know what i mean.

so once you have bought a house, are we talking about $20k to furnish it with average new stuff, not superior stuff like plasma screens etc...just nice stuff.

like to hear what some of you spent if thats ok with ya!

thanks for the info

kev

Last edited by kevpreece; Jul 21st 2003 at 7:50 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 9:18 am

Default Re: Setting up home in OZ!!!!to people already there i guess!

Originally posted by kevpreece
hi there,

i was trying to add up how much roughly it would cost to set up a new home over there, i havent got much stuff here in the uk to take across so i will be starting with a blank canvas, if you know what i mean.

so once you have bought a house, are we talking about $20k to furnish it with average new stuff, not superior stuff like plasma screens etc...just nice stuff.

thanks for the info

kev
surely someone will answer, maybe PB will have a go ?
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 11:41 am
Just Joined

tasha is an unknown quantity at this point

This would depend very much of which city you are heading to in Australia. There are some very good start up furniture deals especially from Super Amart, Ikea is also a good place for furniture at a good price. There are very good electrical deals especially if you are paying cash, they will knock more off for you.

If you are heading to Brisbane i can help a bit more with prices, otherwise hopefully someone from where ever you are going to can help.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 11:49 am

Originally posted by tasha
This would depend very much of which city you are heading to in Australia. There are some very good start up furniture deals especially from Super Amart, Ikea is also a good place for furniture at a good price. There are very good electrical deals especially if you are paying cash, they will knock more off for you.

If you are heading to Brisbane i can help a bit more with prices, otherwise hopefully someone from where ever you are going to can help.
thanks tasha,

i will be going to adelaide, SA

cheers

kev
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kev,

We are in SA, When we moved into our rental property we needed to purchase all of our white goods, fridge/freezer,TV, video/dvd, washing machine, dryer, kettle and toaster all this lot came to around $6000.00. Hopefully this will help, it also helps if you pay cash as they will knock the price down.

Colin
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:32 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Count on about the same as the UK and you won't be too wrong.

Visit the second hand shop for some cheap emercency stuff so you can take your time over serious shopping.

A lot of the stuff you buy will be with you for many years so choose carefully.

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:41 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, since he has not responded, let me see if I can manage an answer in his style.
Yeh - typical of the refugees to be coming here with nothing. You are in for a shock sunshine - prices are way more than anyone on here ever says and remember that the thieving bastard tax office will want their GST so add 10% to everything you see. And you will need lots of warm furniture cos this is a god forsaken hole in the winter (what with the smog from the fires and the traffic) and it is worse in summer. Not to mention that the sort of furniture that is sold to refugees (cos they will see you coming and con you) will be total crap and delivered on the back of a holden crapadore (did I mention they are the worst cars ever built - make me all nostalgic for my old austin allegro - now - there was a motor) and it will all fall apart within 6 months, by which time you will want to go home anyway cos you will realise that you are stuck at the bottom of the heap in this awful country.
New! New! you wont get new stuff for 20k - maybe you will manage some crap from the local dump - remember that prices are different here, what with the much lower cost of living and the poor exchange rate and the extra taxes and the costs of health care and everything.
But maybe 20k will be enough to house the aussie dog box that is all you will be able to afford - ever - till you die - which will probably be quite soon if you come here cos of the risk of melanoma and the longer hours and the harder work and the poor building quality and the bad beer and the slack bludging attitude and the horrendous taxes.

Oh no matey - it is not all a bed of roses - and even if it were - roses here have huge great spines and it will cost you an arm and a leg to get them removed cos health care is not free you know - and then they tax you for it too. Tax Tax - did I mention the tax............
ad infinitum
until
(taken away in a nice jacket with buckles at the back - foaming at the mouth)

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:45 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DagBoy
Well, since he has not responded, let me see if I can manage an answer in his style.

Yeh - typical of the refugees to be coming here with nothing. You are in for a shock sunshine - prices are way more than anyone on here ever says and remember that the thieving bastard tax office will want their GST so add 10% to everything you see. And you will need lots of warm furniture cos this is a god forsaken hole in the winter (what with the smog from the fires and the traffic) and it is worse in summer. Not to mention that the sort of furniture that is sold to refugees (cos they will see you coming and con you) will be total crap and delivered on the back of a holden crapadore (did I mention they are the worst cars ever built - make me all nostalgic for my old austin allegro - now - there was a motor) and it will all fall apart within 6 months, by which time you will want to go home anyway cos you will realise that you are stuck at the bottom of the heap in this awful country.

New! New! you wont get new stuff for 20k - maybe you will manage some crap from the local dump - remember that prices are different here, what with the much lower cost of living and the poor exchange rate and the extra taxes and the costs of health care and everything.
But maybe 20k will be enough to house the aussie dog box that is all you will be able to afford - ever - till you die - which will probably be quite soon if you come here cos of the risk of melanoma and the longer hours and the harder work and the poor building quality and the bad beer and the slack bludging attitude and the horrendous taxes.

Oh no matey - it is not all a bed of roses - and even if it were - roses here have huge great spines and it will cost you an arm and a leg to get them removed cos health care is not free you know - and then they tax you for it too. Tax Tax - did I mention the tax............
ad infinitum
until

Cheers,

DagBoy
Brilliant! Perhaps if PB runs out of steam you could be his script writer.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

hi there,

thanks for the info

kev
Just a thought: When here I recommend auctions. There seem to be lots of them in melbourne at least. We managed to get most white goods approx 30% off the usual price for NEW stuff albeit with minor scratches here and there for which you need a magniflying glass to notice!. Make sure you initially buy an estate car initially to take the goods home.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:08 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

You are still building it up a little, you forgot to mention the warm sea, hardly of interest, 6 year waiting list for a arm to be stitched back on, oh & the crime rate, apparently it's not a penal colony any longer.
Strange you have re motivated me, you must try harder with your impressions, not quite Alistar Mcgowan yet, keep trying

ad infinitum
until

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:30 pm

Originally posted by colinnsam
Hi Kev,

We are in SA, When we moved into our rental property we needed to purchase all of our white goods, fridge/freezer,TV, video/dvd, washing machine, dryer, kettle and toaster all this lot came to around $6000.00. Hopefully this will help, it also helps if you pay cash as they will knock the price down.

Colin

thanks

for the info.

kev
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:31 pm

ad infinitum
until

Cheers,

DagBoy
dont suit you to be like PB after readin some of your other posts.

cheers

kev
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 3:16 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just an idea

been in Sydney 14 months or there abouts

Yes 20K Aus enough to set you up - nice enough stuff some of our costs below, not all you will need (bits we needed) we went for reasonable.....but we also went for nice if we could, when I talk about packages it was cause if you want a lot of stuff you can bargin down on individual prices, look at other threads on good guys etctec

Two Double beds (not divans)– including mattresses Duvets and a couple of pillows and covers – (package - $1400)
Big Tele, Fridge Freezer, video, small Tele and DVD player, washing machine and dryer (package $4500)
Lounge Suite – Nice one in leather in sale - $7800 – but admit you can get much cheaper than this – checked today, much cheaper $3000 easy if not less (we just spoilt ourselves).
Two cheap children’s desks – pine - $150 each
Two sets of drawers and bedside cabinets - $400
Big smart computer desk - $280
Laptop – need to be connected! $2300

Lots of the furniture stores do sets of stuff - not sure how ‘nice’ the stuff is but I would think 20K is more than enough to get you started - unless you have 19 children - my guess is family of four, great, family of two - buy the flat screen!

Lots of houses have built in wardrobes in some of the rooms – and even if you buy lot of people leave the oven and dishwasher.

Have fun
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:18 pm

Default Re: Just an idea

Originally posted by Sandra
been in Sydney 14 months or there abouts

Yes 20K Aus enough to set you up - nice enough stuff some of our costs below, not all you will need (bits we needed) we went for reasonable.....but we also went for nice if we could, when I talk about packages it was cause if you want a lot of stuff you can bargin down on individual prices, look at other threads on good guys etctec

Two Double beds (not divans)– including mattresses Duvets and a couple of pillows and covers – (package - $1400)
Big Tele, Fridge Freezer, video, small Tele and DVD player, washing machine and dryer (package $4500)
Lounge Suite – Nice one in leather in sale - $7800 – but admit you can get much cheaper than this – checked today, much cheaper $3000 easy if not less (we just spoilt ourselves).
Two cheap children’s desks – pine - $150 each
Two sets of drawers and bedside cabinets - $400
Big smart computer desk - $280
Laptop – need to be connected! $2300

Lots of the furniture stores do sets of stuff - not sure how ‘nice’ the stuff is but I would think 20K is more than enough to get you started - unless you have 19 children - my guess is family of four, great, family of two - buy the flat screen!

Lots of houses have built in wardrobes in some of the rooms – and even if you buy lot of people leave the oven and dishwasher.

Have fun
thanks a lot sandra,

very infomative.

cheers

kev
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

rajj,

Auctions. What a great tip. We love auctions and hadn't thought of that. Any advice on where the auctions in Melbourne are advertised or which ones are best? Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.