Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up home in OZ!!!!to people already there i guess!

Setting up home in OZ!!!!to people already there i guess!

Old Jul 24th 2003, 10:17 am

percyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jolyn
Hi Jo (Percyp) - where in Melbourne are you living?

We're not big spenders either so the money should go far enough.

Jo
We're in South Yarra, renting a 'townhouse'

Jo
Old Jul 24th 2003, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up home in OZ!!!!to people already there i guess!

Originally posted by Jolyn
rajj,

Auctions. What a great tip. We love auctions and hadn't thought of that. Any advice on where the auctions in Melbourne are advertised or which ones are best? Thanks.
Hiya

Depends on where you end up living as melb's quite big and you will therefore want a local auction place.

But fear not as there seem to be plenty and they're advertised in local newspapers, The Age and especially the Trading Post which comes out every thursday.

There are numerous around where we live (say approx within 20mins drive from Beaumaris). The way it works (I think) is that they may for example sell white goods one day/week, Computers & electronic goods the next etc etc.
You might want to check out the following for info:

www.graysonline.com.au.

I know that most people on this forum will come over having sold off in the UK and full of cash bulging out of their pockets and will be buying new stuff, but for the commoners like me, I found the best shopping from the trading post. We used auctions for white goods, computer equipment and car.

Hope that helps but feel free to ask if you have any other q's or want more details when you finally get here - will happily oblige.

rajj
Old Jul 24th 2003, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Rajj. We're not planning on spending a fortune initially. Auctions and Trading Post seem fine. We'll probably be somewhere between Box Hill and Bentleigh.

My father, who lives in Queensland and was a car dealer some years ago, advised us to use government auctions to buy a 1-2 year old car.

Best wishes. You sound like you've settled in really well.