Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up home in OZ!!!!to people already there i guess!

Setting up home in OZ!!!!to people already there i guess!

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 11:20 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

dont suit you to be like PB after readin some of your other posts.
Glad to hear it - I could not bear to be like him.

To give you a serious answer, I think $20k would be enough to furnish somewhere with "nice enough - nothing special" stuff. It is like most things, if you had more money available, you would end up buying better stuff.
I shipped my stuff here and my wife already had a load so we have not bought much, but some prices I can remember were:
frontloader washing machine $1000 (that was a quite high capacity one and front loaders are more so you could probably get something for about $600)
Entertainment Unit (to house telly etc) $900
Large dresser/display cabinet $1200
Also, I saw a big stereo TV + DVD thrown in on offer at Retravision the other day for about $850, though you can get a semi-decent TV for about $3-400.
Check out Buyers Edge which is a credit card linked to stores (i.e. it is what you end up with if you go for the interest free/no repayments till whenever option that they all seem to offer). It has links to loads of stores around Aus. Be warned - they will not let you have one of the credit cards if you are not a Perm Res - though the banks will
For electrical (especially white goods) try the Good Guys. Go and look at the catalogue - just throw in a postcode from the state you are heading to.
Hope this helps
Cheers
DagBoy
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 6:35 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy
Glad to hear it - I could not bear to be like him.

To give you a serious answer, I think $20k would be enough to furnish somewhere with "nice enough - nothing special" stuff. It is like most things, if you had more money available, you would end up buying better stuff.
I shipped my stuff here and my wife already had a load so we have not bought much, but some prices I can remember were:
frontloader washing machine $1000 (that was a quite high capacity one and front loaders are more so you could probably get something for about $600)
Entertainment Unit (to house telly etc) $900
Large dresser/display cabinet $1200
Also, I saw a big stereo TV + DVD thrown in on offer at Retravision the other day for about $850, though you can get a semi-decent TV for about $3-400.
Check out Buyers Edge which is a credit card linked to stores (i.e. it is what you end up with if you go for the interest free/no repayments till whenever option that they all seem to offer). It has links to loads of stores around Aus. Be warned - they will not let you have one of the credit cards if you are not a Perm Res - though the banks will
For electrical (especially white goods) try the Good Guys. Go and look at the catalogue - just throw in a postcode from the state you are heading to.
Hope this helps
Cheers
DagBoy
Loved your first post it was nearer the truth .

TV $700-$2000
DVD recorder $1200
Beds $1000- $600 each
Fridge $800
Mircowave $300
Drier $300
Suite $3000
Table with chairs $1200

Just the basics at bottom end of the range , never buy second hand here the prices are far more than the stuff is worth .
You should be fine with $20k but remember rates, insurance, Rego and other setting up costs can bite.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 23rd 2003 at 6:37 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:03 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

You must live in some other parallel Australia where the prices are much higher ...

TV $700-$2000
Unless of course you buy one that is cheaper....

from retravision

ROWA - RTM515 - 51CM A/V STEREO COLOUR TELEVISION..... SUGGESTED RRP $337.35
Prices are a guide only…
even cheaper if you settle for mono

DVD recorder $1200
SAMSUNG - DVDS124 - EVENT DVD PLAYERSTAINLESS STEEL ..... SUGGESTED RRP $299
Prices are a guide only…For a great deal contact your local Retravision store

I cannot be bothered to do the rest - I suggest whoever asked the question looks on the web

Cheers,
DagBoy
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:05 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

You must live in some other parallel Australia where the prices are much higher ...

Unless of course you buy one that is cheaper....

from retravision

ROWA - RTM515 - 51CM A/V STEREO COLOUR TELEVISION..... SUGGESTED RRP $337.35
Prices are a guide only…
even cheaper if you settle for mono

SAMSUNG - DVDS124 - EVENT DVD PLAYERSTAINLESS STEEL ..... SUGGESTED RRP $299
Prices are a guide only…For a great deal contact your local Retravision store

I cannot be bothered to do the rest - I suggest whoever asked the question looks on the web

Cheers,
DagBoy

TV 51CM thats a joke size here look at min 68CM and forget DVD players the future is here try DVD recorders.

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:09 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by pommie bastard
TV 51CM thats a joke size here look at min 68CM and forget DVD players the future is here try DVD recorders.

I've seen TV. Thought the window had better resolution.
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:10 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

51cm telly definitley too small, we use one as a 'portable' second tv, definitely need 68cm plus for main one simply due to room sizes being bigger

New 51cm telly available from Dick Smith (Digitor brand) for $279, DVD player same brand $95. Does the trick for me.

Also bought v.basic microwave, mostly for reheating takeaway food - $69
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:12 am
Cheesy Member

Ooops my mistake. I totally misunderstood the bit where he asked
to furnish it with average new stuff, not superior stuff like plasma screens etc...just nice stuff
A new 51cm TV is sufficiently "nice" in my book, and as for a DVD - I guess it is up to the individual. When (if) I get around to buying one for myself I will certainly not be paying $1200 for it.
Either way - your price ranges happily ignore the lower range and thus help with the vision you like to create that this is an expensive and horrible place.

Cheers,
DagBoy
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:32 am
Banned

Ooops my mistake. I totally misunderstood the bit where he asked

A new 51cm TV is sufficiently "nice" in my book, and as for a DVD - I guess it is up to the individual. When (if) I get around to buying one for myself I will certainly not be paying $1200 for it.
Either way - your price ranges happily ignore the lower range and thus help with the vision you like to create that this is an expensive and horrible place.

Cheers,
DagBoy
With $20k you should aim at mid range why buy cheap gear that will not last.

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:46 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pommie bastard
With $20k you should aim at mid range why buy cheap gear that will not last.
$20k should be about adequate for what you need. You're not expecting to buy a car too with this budget though are you?
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 7:49 am
Banned

Originally posted by renth
$20k should be about adequate for what you need. You're not expecting to buy a car too with this budget though are you?
Well said that man , we went in cheap then replaced most of the bargins at twice the cost.

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 8:04 am

percyp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Setting up home in OZ!!!!to people already there i guess!

Originally posted by Jolyn
rajj,

Auctions. What a great tip. We love auctions and hadn't thought of that. Any advice on where the auctions in Melbourne are advertised or which ones are best? Thanks.

Thought I'd join in the fun again after being here in Melbourne for best part of 5 months.

Auctions - just buy The Age on Saturday for a list of auctions in Melbourne, not been to any, but there seems to be plenty.

We seemed to have made our money stretch quite a long way. Bought 10K (GBP) with us, plus spent apother 2-3K on Uk credit cards and this got us a car (new, small, but roomey for all those necessary initial purchases.) Fridge, washing machine, TV, bed, 2 sofas, and bedding, kitchen equipment - some thrown in for free due to bulk purchases at Retravision !

All we turned up with was 4 suitcases - that was how we started off.

I guess as long as you are earning as soon as you get here, that helps, if not bring a little extra.

Jo

Just in case you wondered - love it here (even in winter)
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:12 am

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point

renth,

ive budgeted another 30k for a car....should be ok with that after looking at the car sites.

cheers for the replies

kev
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jo (Percyp) - where in Melbourne are you living?

We're not big spenders either so the money should go far enough.

Jo
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by kevpreece
renth,

ive budgeted another 30k for a car....should be ok with that after looking at the car sites.

cheers for the replies

kev
You'd get a really nice car for $30k, in fact, if it were me I't stick another 10 grand on the furnishing budget because you'd still get a really nice car for $20k.

When furnishing a house, like anything here in Oz, if it's cheap, or even mid priced it's likely to be absolute crap (particularly beds, furniture). It pays to spend a bit extra to get solidly built comfortable stuff.

Our budget was, in case you are wondering $20k furnishing house $18k car (98 Magna wagon V6).
Old Jul 24th 2003, 12:40 am
Banned

You'd get a really nice car for $30k, in fact, if it were me I't stick another 10 grand on the furnishing budget because you'd still get a really nice car for $20k.

When furnishing a house, like anything here in Oz, if it's cheap, or even mid priced it's likely to be absolute crap (particularly beds, furniture). It pays to spend a bit extra to get solidly built comfortable stuff.

Our budget was, in case you are wondering $20k furnishing house $18k car (98 Magna wagon V6).

You gain my respect with every post but can the refugees take in good advice I think not.
PS any car new or secondhand you should add on stamp duty as its payable on top of the price.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.