Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up business without TFN!

Setting up business without TFN!

Old Aug 24th 2004, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

ssinnige is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up business without TFN!

Hi all,

I wish to set-up my own sole trader company in Australia as soon as I enter the country in order to continue working in Australia for my current employer as a free-lancer. However, there is not much time between my arrival and the start of the free-lancing contract. Basically, I have about two weeks to start-up my company and the like. I have browsed the sites where you register for the TFN and the ABN but I have some questions that I hope can be answered by you guys.

First thing for me to do is to apply for a TFN. This can be done on-line and you'll get your TFN number within 28 days (other threads say it will probably take about 1 or 2 weeks). Now, that might just be enough time because applying for an ABN is (hopefully and according to their website) a piece of cake. You'll get the ABN details immediately at the end of your online application.

I've also read on the web-site for the ABN that you do not have to supply your TFN number when you register your business. So, in theory, I can apply for an ABN while my TFN is still being processed, or am I wrong. Is this also true for sole trader businesses as they normally use your personal TFN for the business also? Are there implications associated by not providing the TFN during registration? And can (or should) you add your TFN number to your ABN details as soon as you have been acknowledged of you TFN number?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 11:02 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up business without TFN!

Originally Posted by ssinnige
Hi all,

I wish to set-up my own sole trader company in Australia as soon as I enter the country in order to continue working in Australia for my current employer as a free-lancer. However, there is not much time between my arrival and the start of the free-lancing contract. Basically, I have about two weeks to start-up my company and the like. I have browsed the sites where you register for the TFN and the ABN but I have some questions that I hope can be answered by you guys.

First thing for me to do is to apply for a TFN. This can be done on-line and you'll get your TFN number within 28 days (other threads say it will probably take about 1 or 2 weeks). Now, that might just be enough time because applying for an ABN is (hopefully and according to their website) a piece of cake. You'll get the ABN details immediately at the end of your online application.

I've also read on the web-site for the ABN that you do not have to supply your TFN number when you register your business. So, in theory, I can apply for an ABN while my TFN is still being processed, or am I wrong. Is this also true for sole trader businesses as they normally use your personal TFN for the business also? Are there implications associated by not providing the TFN during registration? And can (or should) you add your TFN number to your ABN details as soon as you have been acknowledged of you TFN number?
I am in a similar predicament and found ABCDiamond very useful!
Drop him a line, he is in Brisbane bayside area and you can find his posts on this board. He has his own web site too.

Andrew
Old Aug 25th 2004, 6:58 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

If you would like to discuss the issues you have raised with one of my Chartered Accountant colleagues who is based in Brisbane please let me know by sending me an email (alan - at - gomatilda - dot - com) ... he can set up a company for you pending your arrival if you wish (as you may know already, a company that is incorporated in Australia needs an Aussie resident director).

You also need to consider registration for the GST, and - probably the most important issue - the most appropriate business structure for you.

Good luck!

Hi all,

Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
If you would like to discuss the issues you have raised with one of my Chartered Accountant colleagues who is based in Brisbane please let me know by sending me an email (alan - at - gomatilda - dot - com) ... he can set up a company for you pending your arrival if you wish (as you may know already, a company that is incorporated in Australia needs an Aussie resident director).

You also need to consider registration for the GST, and - probably the most important issue - the most appropriate business structure for you.

Good luck!
Thanks for the offer, but I have talked to my employer and the starting dates of the agreement are not fixed. Basically, as soon as I have the company in place then the agreement will be finalised. So, I think I jumped the gun a bit.

All in all I believe that setting up a company can be done in two or three weeks. I'll keep you all posted about the processes when I am busy with it as it might help others on the forum too who wish to setup their company.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 25th 2004, 8:51 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the offer, but I have talked to my employer and the starting dates of the agreement are not fixed. Basically, as soon as I have the company in place then the agreement will be finalised. So, I think I jumped the gun a bit.

All in all I believe that setting up a company can be done in two or three weeks. I'll keep you all posted about the processes when I am busy with it as it might help others on the forum too who wish to setup their company.

Thanks again.
Hi,
When we arrived last year we applied online, the TFN was received within 7 days. ABN should you require one is instantly issued as is the GST registration you do need the TFN to apply for the ABN though
Old Aug 25th 2004, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cresta57
Hi,
When we arrived last year we applied online, the TFN was received within 7 days. ABN should you require one is instantly issued as is the GST registration you do need the TFN to apply for the ABN though
Thanks for that! I hope I will receive the TFN that fast such that I can be up and running soon. Cant wait to start my own business Who needs a holiday ? At least I have flexible hours to work so can take time off when I need or work at times when there is nothing on the telly (which is probably the case every night considering the amount of ad-breaks).