Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up business on spouse visa

Setting up business on spouse visa

Old Aug 5th 2004, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

ssinnige is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up business on spouse visa

I am issued a spouse visa and wish to set up my own business in Australia. The visa is the first stage of the spouse visa such that I am regarded as a temporary resident until I get the permanent resident status after the two years waiting period. Of course, I am allowed to work on my provisional spouse visa. I am migrating soon and will be an Australian resident as soon as I arrive.

Is it possible to set up my own business (get a TFN, ABN etc) as soon as I arrive in Australia as a migrant or can the temporary residency status be a problem?
Old Aug 5th 2004, 3:03 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Setting up business on spouse visa

Originally posted by ssinnige
I am issued a spouse visa and wish to set up my own business in Australia. The visa is the first stage of the spouse visa such that I am regarded as a temporary resident until I get the permanent resident status after the two years waiting period. Of course, I am allowed to work on my provisional spouse visa. I am migrating soon and will be an Australian resident as soon as I arrive.

Is it possible to set up my own business (get a TFN, ABN etc) as soon as I arrive in Australia as a migrant or can the temporary residency status be a problem?
I am goin on a spouse visa in October and am buying a business with my hubby, You can get a TFN no problem as I have one from when I was on a working holiday visa. Not sure anout the ABN, but it isn't a prob for me as we will just put it in my hubby's name if we have to but I cant see there being a problem.

Cheers
Kala
Old Aug 5th 2004, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by kala
I am goin on a spouse visa in October and am buying a business with my hubby, You can get a TFN no problem as I have one from when I was on a working holiday visa. Not sure anout the ABN, but it isn't a prob for me as we will just put it in my hubby's name if we have to but I cant see there being a problem.

Cheers
Kala
Yes of course, I can always put it on my wife's name if it is a problem. Why did'nt I think of that before However, as I would like to start off as a sole trader and I am the one working in that business, it should in fact be on my name. I agree that it should not be a problem. I think all that you need is to be a resident with a local address and a TFN number. It should not matter if you are a temporary or a permanent.

Thanks.
Old Aug 6th 2004, 7:59 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ssinnige
Yes of course, I can always put it on my wife's name if it is a problem. Why did'nt I think of that before However, as I would like to start off as a sole trader and I am the one working in that business, it should in fact be on my name. I agree that it should not be a problem. I think all that you need is to be a resident with a local address and a TFN number. It should not matter if you are a temporary or a permanent.

Thanks.
Yeah I think you'l be fine, I am goin out next saturday to finalize the purchase on our business so I will let you know how it all goes.

Cheers
Kala
Old Aug 6th 2004, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks! I'll wait.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 7th 2004, 5:38 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by ssinnige
Thanks! I'll wait.

Best of luck.
Sorry I forgot to update this, We bought a business and I had no problems at all on my spouse visa

Cheers
Kala