Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up a Business

Setting up a Business

Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:37 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Setting up a Business

Has anyone set up a business when they came to Oz?

I have realised since moving to Oz, that I really dont want to be an accountant anymore, and would love to set up my own business. Not sure what yet. I look around the high street in my town, and there are some big gaps in the market, and hopefully I could be the person to fill it.

How do you start off? Who do you talk to? I have never been in business for my self before, but am sick of working for other people, so definately motivated. Or at least find out what it would take to start up.

Does anyone have any useful website I could look at?

Thanks.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future
Default Re: Setting up a Business

[We came to Australia nearly a year ago and also wanted a fresh start. You have taken the gamble thus far, so why stop at immigrating. Like you we saw a niche in the Ozzie market for a product I took for granted back home. We saw an accountant, set up a business name and a Pty Ltd, and have gone into business. 6 months later and a stack of cash ploughed into this thing and we are nearly ready to go to market. We have had a great response from initial market research and are looking forward to making a good go of this. Don't want to be rich just earn a good wage for us and the kids and do something different to what we were doing back home. (fingers crossed)
Advice????? Don't let the bast!@*s get you down, its a long slog, some people are helpful, others not. But if you have a good idea.... follow it and make it happen.... At least you tried!!!
PM me if you need whole advice
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Anastasia Beaverhausen

I have realised since moving to Oz, that I really dont want to be an accountant anymore, and would love to set up my own business. Not sure what yet. I look around the high street in my town, and there are some big gaps in the market, and hopefully I could be the person to fill it.

How do you start off? Who do you talk to? I have never been in business for my self before, but am sick of working for other people, so definately motivated. Or at least find out what it would take to start up.

Thanks.
Hi

www.licence.sbdc.com.au

I am in W A and I use this site

HTH

Kim
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Gold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond reputeGold Coaster has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Hi A.B,

I have set up and run 4 businesses here,

Let me tell you straight, it is not easy here because of the lack of population and you will find that they do not work at the same pace of urgency here as they would in the U.K. That would be one of the downsides of living in a slower pace country, great for lifestyle but very bad if you want things done at a reasonable pace in business. The old saying "if you want something done do it yourself" is very true and good advice here.

Also, choose your location very carefully, where ever you think will be a good location for your business think again, and look for a better one. I cannot stress that enough as there is just not the population density anywhere in Australia, including Sydney, to go at the pace you would wish to and this can be very frustrating.

But saying all of that, go for what you want and do not stop until you get it as no business idea is a bad one.

I wish you all the best.

Tony
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:15 am
BE Enthusiast

wintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to allwintersgills is a name known to all

i set a company up two years ago a big gap in the market is whot you need i agree i repaint fork lift trucks in brisbane southside there is only one other company the same as mine here you find that gap mate and you take your $$$$ home in a wheelbarrow good luck
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:44 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
If your an accountant you should know more starting directions than anyone else? - Get your ABN sorted
- Get involved with your networks
- Chat to your bank about what they can do for you - if you dont like it start talking with others.

I wish you good luck

Kiwi
Old Jul 30th 2006, 3:49 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Anastasia, Westpac has the best business startup help. Order their stuff online and then expect to be contacted by their business bod soon after. Very helpful.

Also there are lots of good links out there to help:

http://www.smallbiz.nsw.gov.au/

http://www.businessmums.com/

I'm setting up... there are grants available for Made in Australia business and lots of seminars to go to if you're dealing with China or any other sort of export.

Let me know what you've got in mind and I'll try to help out best I can,

Last edited by iPom; Jul 30th 2006 at 3:54 am.