Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up a business

Setting up a business

Old Nov 19th 2004, 6:36 am
Just Joined

markr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the rough
Question Setting up a business

We've been in Perth for about 7 weeks now and I'm getting increasingly frustrated in trying and not succeeding in finding work. So while this situation persists I was wondering what was involved in setting up a business. My expertise lies in most things IT; networks, hardware and software support, database design and development, internet stuff etc, etc. I am thinking about providing such services to the domestic/SME market.

Has anyone done this or similar?

TIA
Mark
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:08 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice
Default Re: Setting up a business

Originally Posted by markr1963
We've been in Perth for about 7 weeks now and I'm getting increasingly frustrated in trying and not succeeding in finding work. So while this situation persists I was wondering what was involved in setting up a business. My expertise lies in most things IT; networks, hardware and software support, database design and development, internet stuff etc, etc. I am thinking about providing such services to the domestic/SME market.

TIA
Mark
Dunno if you have James services up in Perth, but you can buy a franchise of the computer sort and anything else come to think of it Dread tothink what will be next on their list ( jims arsewiping service)
maybe worth a look...
Johanne
www.jims.net
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:10 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by johanne
Dunno if you have James services up in Perth, but you can buy a franchise of the computer sort and anything else come to think of it Dread tothink what will be next on their list ( jims arsewiping service)
maybe worth a look...
Johanne
www.jims.net

Is that a better franchise than Johannes topless car wash????
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:21 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bordy
Is that a better franchise than Johannes topless car wash????
LOL you cheeky boy im afraid it would only operate in temperatures above 25c otherwise i would be cutting glass when i leant over the windscreen..
WATCH THIS SPACE :scared:
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:55 am
Just Joined

markr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the roughmarkr1963 is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that. Franchising's an interesting idea but I am more inclined to setup on my own. Do I need to register a company name, do I need an ABN etc?

Mark
Old Nov 19th 2004, 7:59 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that. Franchising's an interesting idea but I am more inclined to setup on my own. Do I need to register a company name, do I need an ABN etc?

Mark
Have a look here Mark.

http://www.business.gov.au/Business+Entry+Point/
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Bordy:
That's tonight's reading taken care

Thanks
Mark
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:04 am
The Godfather

Bordy:
That's tonight's reading taken care

Thanks
Mark
Best of luck with it & if you ever take off & open nationwide gimmie a shout when your Melbourne business opens.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:05 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Mark, try this to start with business entry point

Certainly in the UK I would advise someone to see an accountant (if you get to the stage of actually setting it up) as they can taking into account you personal situation and the best setup/methods to be tax efficient, advice on record keeping etc
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:07 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
Mark, try this to start with business entry point
you beat me to it Bordy
Old Nov 19th 2004, 9:01 am
ABCDiamond

TIA
Mark
ABN number is needed, and almost certainly GST registration.

Company Name registration will be needed unless you trade purely under your own name. You can trade as a sole trader (cheaper option), or set up a Pty Ltd company (Accountants bills tend to be more expensive!)

If you want a .com.au website, you will need to register the trading name first, as the "au" webnames are closely regulated.

Do you have record keeping knowledge ?

Old Nov 19th 2004, 9:19 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Company Name registration will be needed unless you trade purely under your own name.
Psst ABC, I think you mean Business name registration, setting up a company is different .
Old Nov 19th 2004, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future

TIA
Mark
I'd be in your boat if I was there, Mark, ie, an out of work IT bod. Seems like we have similar skills. Unfortunately, a quick search on Jobserve will tell you that there ain't many IT jobs in Australia full stop and what there are seem to be concentrated in Sydney/Melbourne.

If I end up moving to Adelaide in Jan I'll do what you are doing - setting up on my own or buying a franchise.

My hesitation in going there stems from the lack of IT work.

Did you check out the work situation before you left by the way? Presumably this hasn't come as a complete shock.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 9:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Psst ABC, I think you mean Business name registration, setting up a company is different .
Yep Thats exactly what I should have typed

Old Nov 20th 2004, 5:15 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies everyone.
SoS:
Yes, had a fair idea what it was going to be like. There's plenty of IT jobs about, more so in the East. The problem, especially in Perth (so I'm told), is landing the first job. Very parochial over here, a very close knit network esp. in IT. Other things to work on before you get here is the format of CV/Resumes; a bit different to the UK. For example, I was always told back in Blighty to use 2 sides of A4 max. Seems to be double that here, in fact i was told by one redcruitment consultant "if you have a story to tell, tell it! They're also very big on structured supporting evidence insofar as they use the STAR method (look at a government job application for that sort of info).

In my case i'm just getting a little stir crazy; need to be earning some dollars soon hence the query about setting up.
There's a small business centre in Perth that can be expecting to see me on Monday

I've had a quick look and an ABN is essential, would probably be a sole trader, there's also licenses that seem to be specific to the city/area I propose to work in, I may need council permission to run a business from home tho' as the intended service is mobile maybe not.

There's quite a few folks who advertise IT services in the local rag. Some have ABNs, some don't. Would those that don't be working cash in hand and not paying tax etc?

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.