Reload this Page >

Setting up a building firm in Melbourne

Setting up a building firm in Melbourne

Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:06 am
Debs M

dhw210770 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up a building firm in Melbourne

Hi,

My husabnd is a builder/carpenter and we would like to set up our own construction/building company within 6 months of arriving in Oz (November/December 05).

What we would like to know is what the procedures are for doing this. We'd also like to get to know quality tradesmen (plumbers, electricians, ground workers etc) in the Melbourne so they could be brought in as sub-contractors for the various jobs we would like to pick up.

Also would like to know about schemes for hiring an apprentice builder/carpenter and what the Government does to help you out on this.

Is the paperwork daunting, does my husband have to register with some board or other for his qualifications, does he have to do a course to bring him up to Australian standards for his qualifications.

We have sold all his 110v tools and replaced them with 240v, a lot of them battery chargeable. This hasn't been an expensive exercise because everyone goes mad over tools on ebay and we've covered new buying costs with the selling rates (well nearly anyway).

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Debs
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default Re: Setting up a building firm in Melbourne

Don't want a partner do you ?
We are heading to Melbourne early next year and I'm looking into property development. My building knowledge is quite small but I do hav e some money to invest. Sorry its not an answer to your question but if you don't ask.... ?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Irish Bet is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck in your venture we are arriving March 06, partner is top class brickie so if you short let us know.

Bet
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Irish Bet is an unknown quantity at this point

Just in case my pm didn't come through, [email protected], marks just uses mine.

Bet
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dhw210770
Hi,

My husabnd is a builder/carpenter and we would like to set up our own construction/building company within 6 months of arriving in Oz (November/December 05).

What we would like to know is what the procedures are for doing this. We'd also like to get to know quality tradesmen (plumbers, electricians, ground workers etc) in the Melbourne so they could be brought in as sub-contractors for the various jobs we would like to pick up.

Also would like to know about schemes for hiring an apprentice builder/carpenter and what the Government does to help you out on this.

Is the paperwork daunting, does my husband have to register with some board or other for his qualifications, does he have to do a course to bring him up to Australian standards for his qualifications.

We have sold all his 110v tools and replaced them with 240v, a lot of them battery chargeable. This hasn't been an expensive exercise because everyone goes mad over tools on ebay and we've covered new buying costs with the selling rates (well nearly anyway).

Debs

http://www.buildingcommission.com.au...asp?casid=4225

Link to building comission and how to become a building practitioner.

I think you really need to be aware a massive amount of aussie experience is required to prove competency for a licence, maybe start out as a chippie and work your way up.

Work is gained by tendering for jobs, again experience is top of the list then a very competitive price.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 9:55 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Do you also want guidance on the seting up of a business in terms of the company law and tax compliance/planning issues?

Best regards.

Hi,

Debs
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jad n rich
http://www.buildingcommission.com.au...asp?casid=4225

Link to building comission and how to become a building practitioner.

I think you really need to be aware a massive amount of aussie experience is required to prove competency for a licence, maybe start out as a chippie and work your way up.

Work is gained by tendering for jobs, again experience is top of the list then a very competitive price.
You may find that your lack of local building experience may price you into oblivion.

As an unknown, subbies may not give you prices or load them up just in case you go bad.

Get subbie experience if you can get registration with local building services authority, get local experience, make the trade contacts and then go it alone.

WW
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.buildingcommission.com.au...asp?casid=2862

Ive cut and pasted this page its a side to the industry which is fairly different to the UK, a building practitioner here is far more liable for his work and to say you must be aware of every ever changing rule and reg is an understatement to say the least, you are also liable for the work of subcontractors unless they can provide full licence and insurance etc.
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:19 am
Debs M

Alan,

Yes please. Any information would be fantastic. My husband used to own his own construction business here in the UK but has now wound that up so he knows what it is to run a business but obviously not in Oz.

Thanks,

Debs
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:22 am
Debs M

Thanks ever so much jad 'n rich and wanderingwombat for your feedback and advice on this matter. Will get hubby to trawl through all the information this evening.

Regards,

Debs
Old Oct 13th 2005, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Thanks ever so much jad 'n rich and wanderingwombat for your feedback and advice on this matter. Will get hubby to trawl through all the information this evening.

Regards,

Debs
Good luck on the trawling ! ? !

Become a subbie, drive a new Falcodore SS/GT ute (bloody useless on a muddy site but looks good) and let the others do the worrying..

WW
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:21 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I think in all seriousness , its quite difficult to comprehend the legislative red tape in comparison to that within the uk building sector.

Weve run our own businesses for over 20 years and worst we had to deal with was tax n vat.

Not so in Oz, from tagging electrical tools, blue cards, how high you can work, etc etc.

Austrailia is the best place on the planet, but a myriadial nightmare for budding construction entrepeneurs.

Get professional ADVICE !!!!!!!
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Tell you what, at 4,700 aud per square, I will take a look at what he has to offer on a 10 square extention.

Wouldn't mind being a newbies first customer

Current rate is about 4,600 aud per square.

I take it he already knows what a square is in Aussie parlance ?
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:29 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Tell you what, at 4,700 aud per square, I will take a look at what he has to offer on a 10 square extention.

Wouldn't mind being a newbies first customer

Current rate is about 4,600 aud per square.

I take it he already knows what a square is in Aussie parlance ?

4600 per square for what ??

Building ?? per builders square ??

THATS F***ING CHEAP !
Old Oct 13th 2005, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
4600 per square for what ??

Building ?? per builders square ??

THATS F***ING CHEAP !
Check the Melbourne papers

per building.

From 4,600 completed... fair dinkum !!

It's a tough market this one, I know thats the base price. but thats the level you would have to compete at.

Northbridge homes I think it is, quote at that price. will check on Sunday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.