Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up ANZ bank accounts prior to leaving the UK

Setting up ANZ bank accounts prior to leaving the UK

Old Oct 18th 2007, 3:06 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Setting up ANZ bank accounts prior to leaving the UK

Just passing this on - from our internal newsletter here at ANZ Bank.

"ANZ has a team in London that has made ANZ the obvious bank choice (simple and convenient) for people moving from the UK to live and work in Australia. The team arranges accounts for customers before they move to Australia and can assist with transferring funds from the UK."

Tel: +44 20 3229 2436.
eml: <snip>@anz.com

Last edited by gedge; Oct 18th 2007 at 4:39 am. Reason: pm sent to poster
Old Oct 18th 2007, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Setting up ANZ bank accounts prior to leaving the UK

Yep, it's a doddle.

I banked with the HSBC in the UK. I contacted the HSBC in Oz and they said I would have to do a 100 point "check" when I got here and fill out a huge form - no thanks. I contacted ANZ and spoke to them on the phone and opened an account before I arrived here. It was great because it meant I could send some money over ahead of time. Then, once you land, you have 6 weeks in which to "verify" the account and open it properly - you can't access any deposited money until you've opened the account properly, over in Oz.

I find them to be a great bank. Plus, whenever I send money from my HSBC acct to the ANZ, it arrives really quickly (no more than 1 business day later).
Old Oct 18th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

you can do it online as well for anz...
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Why bother? there's a $5 a month fee for ANZ accounts and there really is no point in having one until you get here. If you want to transfer some money over leave the account opening until the very last moment otherwise you'll have lots of $5 to pay
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Actually, I was told that the service fee would start to be charged only once we landed in Australia and "verified" the account.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TillyG
Actually, I was told that the service fee would start to be charged only once we landed in Australia and "verified" the account.
Really? give it a go then
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Really? give it a go then
I'm in Australia already now - been here almost 2 yrs.

Thinking back, I may have only opened the account about 3 weeks before we emigrated (we only found out we were coming here about 6-8 weeks before we left the UK). So I may be wrong about the servicing fee - it was the last thing on my mind at the time to be honest
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

Hullfcfans has a spectacular aura aboutHullfcfans has a spectacular aura aboutHullfcfans has a spectacular aura about

I started with ANZ, who were great to start with. Then we started getting hit with the $5 fee each month. Quickly moved over to HSBC, who (I believe) offer a much better service for free!
Old Oct 19th 2007, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hullfcfans
I started with ANZ, who were great to start with. Then we started getting hit with the $5 fee each month. Quickly moved over to HSBC, who (I believe) offer a much better service for free!
Is it totally free though? I remember trying to compare banks, before moving here, and it seemed to be that those with no monthly fee tended to charge for EFTPOS transactions, cash withdrawals, internet transfers etc.

We went for the $5-per-month account with ANZ as we tend to use EFTPOS a lot and I do an awful lot of online transfers. So for us, the $5 is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'd much rather that then get hit with a bill for ATM transactions
Old Oct 19th 2007, 5:12 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Is it totally free though? I remember trying to compare banks, before moving here, and it seemed to be that those with no monthly fee tended to charge for EFTPOS transactions, cash withdrawals, internet transfers etc.

We went for the $5-per-month account with ANZ as we tend to use EFTPOS a lot and I do an awful lot of online transfers. So for us, the $5 is nothing in the grand scheme of things. I'd much rather that then get hit with a bill for ATM transactions
you get 5 free ATM transactions a month (transactions at HSBC ATMs don't count, but then they're hard to come by)
but of course you just get cash back with your shopping or from a post office and this is free and doesn't count to your allowance

i've yet to pay a single fee with HSBC in 4 years of constant use
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hullfcfans
I dont mind paying the fee as we have local branches of ANZ, in fact one just down the road, whereas we have no HSBC branches...
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:33 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by bridie
I dont mind paying the fee as we have local branches of ANZ, in fact one just down the road, whereas we have no HSBC branches...
do you need a branch? i haven't been in to a bank for years
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gedge
do you need a branch? i haven't been in to a bank for years
yes, we have needed bank cheques and the like....
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Same here bridie. We actually chose the ANZ initially as there was one about 3 doors down from DH's job-offer! That's where our account is held officially but there's a branch near where we live too and oodles of ATMs.

I don't like to do cash-out at the supermarket because, as a rule, we use the credit card (for the rewards) and pay it off as soon as we get back from the shopping trip. And I rarely venture into the post office

I would have liked to have stuck with the HSBC as I've banked with them since I was 7 (so 23 years now) and never really had any big problems with them. But the lack of branches really put me off.

PS as for "do you need a branch?". I find I do. If nothing else then to pay in the refund cheques from the health insurance Plus I like knowing I *can* go and talk to a "real person" if need be (and have done on occasion)
Old Oct 19th 2007, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Plus I like knowing I *can* go and talk to a "real person" if need be (and have done on occasion)

In fact sometimes it is easier to just pop into the branch rather than dealing with their call centre...!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.