Reload this Page >

Settimg up Home in Perth

Settimg up Home in Perth

Old Jun 12th 2003, 7:18 am
Just Joined

mel&dave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Settimg up Home in Perth

Guys,

As we will be arriving in Perth with just two suitcases and half a dozen boxes, we will need to buy the basics, ie fridge, TV, hi-fi, sofa and bed etc......

Could anyone advise us where is best to purchase such items in Perth, dont want to spend a fortune! (tight pommie ba**ard!).

I am of the understanding that most rental accommodation comes unfurnished, is this the case?

Not to keen on shopping so the more we can get in one area the better.

Cheers

Dave n Mel

Perth 10th July 2003

Old Jun 12th 2003, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

ace ventura is an unknown quantity at this point

these might be useful

www.goodguys.com.au
www.fantasticfurniture.com.au

hope they help you settle

Ace
Old Jun 12th 2003, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Settimg up Home in Perth

There are heaps and heaps of stores. You can purchase furniture/household items anywhere from K Mart to Archie Martins Vox. Just about every shopping mall will have a furniture store. Not up to date on pricing. But you may want to try some of the individual bedding stores as they have sales all the time.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Rune is an unknown quantity at this point

And if you're really strapped for cash, you can find some good second-hand stuff either via the "For Sale" section in the Sunday Times newspaper, or the Quokka, a fortnightly version of the old Exchange and Mart....
Old Jun 12th 2003, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mel&dave
Guys,

As we will be arriving in Perth with just two suitcases and half a dozen boxes, we will need to buy the basics, ie fridge, TV, hi-fi, sofa and bed etc......

Could anyone advise us where is best to purchase such items in Perth, dont want to spend a fortune! (tight pommie ba**ard!).

I am of the understanding that most rental accommodation comes unfurnished, is this the case?

Cheers

Dave n Mel

Perth 10th July 2003

Buy second hand and stick it in the kids room for messing about on later when you can afford better. This is what we did and it saves wasting money and tides you over fine. Try the charity shops. There is nothing wrong with the stuff a lot of the time and people these days get rid of better stuff than everyone's mum and dads started out with. I am sitting on a second hand chair now - 15 dollars - and there is nothing at all wrong with it. Save your money for better things like trips out. Don't collect furniture, collect memories.
Old Jun 12th 2003, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

aussie bloke is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Rune
And if you're really strapped for cash, you can find some good second-hand stuff either via the "For Sale" section in the Sunday Times newspaper, or the Quokka, a fortnightly version of the old Exchange and Mart....

Quokka is a weekly that comes out on a Thursday $2
it also has a online version but doesn't have all the ads

http://www.quokka.com.au/
Old Jun 12th 2003, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

You could head to the industrial areas like Osbourne Park which has all the retail outlets , even Ikea , cash converters and other second hand shops , or Joondalup that has alot of the furniture places all in one place . Or as the others have said the Quokka , brilliant paper. I also go to the auctions , a tip i got from mouse on here , trouble is i always carried away and start off really well , then i spend too much . So i have banned myself
Good luck Joanne and Paul
Old Jun 12th 2003, 10:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Joanne, which auctions do you go to? Have looked at a couple but found nothing we've liked so far. (Too fussy??).

For your electrical stuff try Good Guys or Harvey Norman (you have to haggle there) then compare prices, saying the other offered you a better deal. I got fridge/freezer, TV, washing machine & microwave from H.N and really haggled, agreed a price then asked for extended warrenties at cost and got them.

Loopy
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Loopy. I went to one up on Wangara estate in wanneroo , i think it all depends what they have on the day , i got a lovely really old pine table with 6 chairs , one a carver , a coffee table , a rug , a beautiful painting in a fantastic frame , a camp bed , a video recorder for the kids room , and a bird bath for the garden , and i paid $550 , i just got carried away with shooting my hand up in the bidding bit , but it was fun , 4 hours i sat there for , how sad. Which one did u go to ?
Joanne
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Loopy. I went to one up on Wangara estate in wanneroo , i think it all depends what they have on the day , i got a lovely really old pine table with 6 chairs , one a carver , a coffee table , a rug , a beautiful painting in a fantastic frame , a camp bed , a video recorder for the kids room , and a bird bath for the garden , and i paid $550 , i just got carried away with shooting my hand up in the bidding bit , but it was fun , 4 hours i sat there for , how sad. Which one did u go to ?
Joanne, it sounds like 4 hours well spent to me. cheap as chips.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks , yeah i thought it was all a bargain !! Will go back , but paul said i had better get a job first
Joanne
Old Jun 13th 2003, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Just went and viewed one in Fremantle. It was all new stuff from a company who'd gone bankrupt. They're having one every fortnight. Couldn't make the actual auction but we just looked to see what they'd got, nothing I wanted to bid for. Have you anymore info on the Wangara one, where would it be advertised?

Thanks

Loopy
Old Jun 13th 2003, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave & Mel,

Why not give Ikea a go:-

http://perth.ikea.com.au/Template2_o...&site_id=30010

Best Regards
Karl.
Old Jun 14th 2003, 9:56 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jopaulss
You could head to the industrial areas like Osbourne Park which has all the retail outlets , even Ikea , cash converters and other second hand shops , or Joondalup that has alot of the furniture places all in one place . Or as the others have said the Quokka , brilliant paper. I also go to the auctions , a tip i got from mouse on here , trouble is i always carried away and start off really well , then i spend too much . So i have banned myself
Good luck Joanne and Paul
Ah our (in)famous 5 buck chairs... I was rather upset when we gave them to a friend once our sofa arrived from the UK. I know what you mean about getting carried away - we only wanted to pay a buck 50 !!
Old Jul 12th 2003, 12:31 am
Just Joined

Lourdes WYatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mel&dave
Guys,

Cheers

Dave n Mel

If your looking for short term rental check this place out - fully furnished. Long term rates are negotiatble.

http://www.alnhouse.com

Good luck with your move to Perth

Perth 10th July 2003

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.