Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setanta in Oz and Prem Footie

Setanta in Oz and Prem Footie

Old Aug 6th 2009, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default Setanta in Oz and Prem Footie

Hi all

just wondering I notice that the Charity Shield game is on Setanta on Sunday morning and I wondered as I dont have this as part of my austar package, how much it is to add and how many prem games do they have on a year to see if it is worth it?

Any ideas?

Sean
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Setanta in Oz and Prem Footie

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Hi all

just wondering I notice that the Charity Shield game is on Setanta on Sunday morning and I wondered as I dont have this as part of my austar package, how much it is to add and how many prem games do they have on a year to see if it is worth it?

Any ideas?

Sean
Sean

Setanta are showing the match this weekend here in Aus but given the UK side is bust, they lost their rights to all prem league games. Therefore, buying Setanta for the season here in Aus will NOT give you any premier league games.

Those that Setanta lost were bought by ESPN and they have yet to announce here in Aus how they plan to show them - whether it's a seperate channel (as it is in the UK via their HD service) or via their current channel.

They need to get a move on though given the season starts soon...
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Thanks Slipshot

I was in a bar and saw the setanta CS coverage was on this weekend and was worried I might miss an available game.

Cheers again

Sean
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

ronanbrady will become famous soon enough

The Setanta i-Player has Community Shield, live streaming. It has the SPL, Bundesliga and French Ligue also.

I saw a web address, which I haven't used for live sports also at

www.myp2p.eu

There are other live streaming sites but not certain to get English commentary.

As a footy fan you might also want to join the BE Fantasy Premier league:

Go to http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Pick your team, colours, name etc and then Leagues > Join League > code

The code is 41804-143196
Old Aug 7th 2009, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Brisbane Bob will become famous soon enoughBrisbane Bob will become famous soon enough

I have been here nearly 2 years and have resisted buying setanta sports. I missed a few of England's games (which wasn't such a bad thing with most of them!) And I missed out on some UEFA cup matches. But setanta is definitely on the way out as already mentioned, so not a consideration.

I have watched live football on my computer very successfully for those games that have not been covered by any of the three sports channels you will probably be getting with austar. (I have Foxtel).

The terrestrial channel SBS also has some great football coverage including the champions league and some internationals.

I think you'll find a football coverage here excellent.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

roottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really nice

Originally Posted by slipshot
Sean

Setanta are showing the match this weekend here in Aus but given the UK side is bust, they lost their rights to all prem league games. Therefore, buying Setanta for the season here in Aus will NOT give you any premier league games.

Those that Setanta lost were bought by ESPN and they have yet to announce here in Aus how they plan to show them - whether it's a seperate channel (as it is in the UK via their HD service) or via their current channel.

They need to get a move on though given the season starts soon...
Sorry but this information is false! Setanta has ceased in the uk, But are a completly different entity in australia and have there own deal set up to broadcast the games, If you look on the tv listings on there website for sat the 15th which is the start of the saeson, They are broadcasting a number of brittish games.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

ronanbrady will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by roottoot1981
Sorry but this information is false! Setanta has ceased in the uk, But are a completly different entity in australia and have there own deal set up to broadcast the games, If you look on the tv listings on there website for sat the 15th which is the start of the saeson, They are broadcasting a number of brittish games.
They have SPL not EPL.

http://www.setanta.com/AU/TV-Listings/ No Premier League coverage

Last edited by ronanbrady; Aug 7th 2009 at 5:41 am.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Fox Sports has the EPL

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/epl
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by roottoot1981
Sorry but this information is false!

Simple facts - Setanta, an Irish company, bought the rights in the past to the EPL. They then went bust and lost the rights earlier this year. Those rights were bought by ESPN.

Setanta are a different entity in Australia, but they are still part of the same company, and although they have separate profit and loss, they still bought the rights to show the games in Aus from their sister company Setanta in the UK, who no longer exist. They do not have their own deal to show the games since that would be commercial silliness - when their parent company DID have the rights.

So it would be pretty difficult for them to show any EPL games when they have NO rights. The only potential option would be for Setanta Aus to buy the rights from ESPN but the chances are ESPN will show them over here anyway. I'm waiting to hear from ESPN what their plans are over here for the matches they now have access to.

Last edited by slipshot; Aug 8th 2009 at 9:38 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wullieb1
Fox have 2/3 of the games (as Sky do in the UK), which was created when the European commission in their wisdom said Sky had a monopoly on the EPL and should give up some of it to provide competition. Which just meant that in order to watch every game you had to pay for Sky AND Setanta. Setanta buying the other third.

Now the other third of games is owned by ESPN, and thus Fox will continue to show a load of games over here and hopefully ESPN will show the remainder.

The reason you see far more games over here is that the regulations in the UK do not allow every match to be broadcast live since there is a major concern it would stop people attending the matches and thus teams lose revenue and everything else. Thus in the UK they can only show a certain number of matches live throughout the season. Outside the UK the regulations do not apply since it will not affect fans and thus they can show many more...
Old Aug 9th 2009, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Brisbane Bob will become famous soon enoughBrisbane Bob will become famous soon enough

Well, Setanta still have a bit of life left in them out here, they showed the community Shield match last night I believe.

As slipshot said, there is plenty of football to watch out here. Depending on summertime/wintertime/statetime, at plus or minus midnight Saturfay night/Sunday morning you get a choice of any one of five Premier league three o'clock kickoffs from the Saturday.

Here it gets a little complicated. Of those five games, one is a featured game which you will be able to record if you pay an extra $10/mth for the built in recorder on your satellite box which I highly recommend you do. If the game you want to watch is one of the other four which are only activated by pressing the red button, you will have to stay up until the early hours of the morning to watch it live, or at least stay up until the game starts so you can press the red button and record it to an external device like a DVD recorder or VHS recorder.

On top of that, they will show every game that is featured live back in England, so that is all the 12 noon on Saturday kickoffs and 5:30 p.m. Saturday kickoffs and all the games played at 1 p.m. or 4 p.m. on a Sunday plus of course any 8 p.m. Monday games. All of these games are repeated regularly during the week at more reasonable Australian times.

On top of that, there is a one hour show on Monday which is like match of the day but without wasting 30 minutes of it listening to "experts" discussing exactly what you have already just seen.

So, Australia is a football fan's paradise. And if you do record a game to watch later, no need to live your life like Lord Lucan until you've seen it. Nobody even discusses football out here and it's not on the news. Just stay away from the British Internet sports pages and you'll be fine.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brisbane Bob
Well, Setanta still have a bit of life left in them out here, they showed the community Shield match last night I believe.
Agree with everything. Commnity Shield (on tonight) is via a differnet deal and is actually tied to last season and not this, and indeed they were obliged to show it so they had to...

I resented paying £10 a month for a couple of channels when I paid £40 a month for loads with Sky and I resent it over here. Give all the games to Sky/Foxtel and we'd all be saving money and laughing...
Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:12 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brisbane Bob
So, Australia is a football fan's paradise. And if you do record a game to watch later, no need to live your life like Lord Lucan until you've seen it. Nobody even discusses football out here and it's not on the news. Just stay away from the British Internet sports pages and you'll be fine.

....but only if you want to watch it at stupid o'clock. Other than that its a footballing desert.