Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Seriously thinking of shipping my Diesel Rav 4 over!!

Seriously thinking of shipping my Diesel Rav 4 over!!

Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:17 pm
Made it to the Other Side

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all
Default Seriously thinking of shipping my Diesel Rav 4 over!!

Having now spoken to friends that shipped their car over and also to the local Toyota dealer here in Adelaide and also got a quote from a shipping company we are seriously thinking of shipping over our Diesel Rav 4.

I love the car and it is only 3 years old, having got a quote of 1400.00 Pounds (sorry no pound sign on this bloody pc) and insurance about 300-400 pounds and the customs cost of $900 thought that was very reasonable if I weigh this up against the amount of money we spent on it to buy it against the amount we will lose on it by selling it in the UK!!

The Toyota dealer in Adelaide said they dont do Diesel Ravs here and there are no plans to do them in the future, but that I would easily be able to get it Serviced and repaired if needed at the same cost of a petrol Rav would just incur a 10-14 day delay whilst they got parts in!!

Anyway want to hear others views on shipping cars and also their good bad stories of shipping their cars over to Oz!!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seriously thinking of shipping my Diesel Rav 4 over!!

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!
Having now spoken to friends that shipped their car over and also to the local Toyota dealer here in Adelaide and also got a quote from a shipping company we are seriously thinking of shipping over our Diesel Rav 4.

I love the car and it is only 3 years old, having got a quote of 1400.00 Pounds (sorry no pound sign on this bloody pc) and insurance about 300-400 pounds and the customs cost of $900 thought that was very reasonable if I weigh this up against the amount of money we spent on it to buy it against the amount we will lose on it by selling it in the UK!!

The Toyota dealer in Adelaide said they dont do Diesel Ravs here and there are no plans to do them in the future, but that I would easily be able to get it Serviced and repaired if needed at the same cost of a petrol Rav would just incur a 10-14 day delay whilst they got parts in!!

Anyway want to hear others views on shipping cars and also their good bad stories of shipping their cars over to Oz!!
Did they factor in the GST and import duty you have to pay? I brought my car over from Japan, and that came to far more than the shipping, port, and customs costs.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:28 pm

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Exile
Did they factor in the GST and import duty you have to pay? I brought my car over from Japan, and that came to far more than the shipping, port, and customs costs.

Well as I understood it that was $900-$1100 to pay for that!!
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:38 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

There are very few diesel cars here although this is changing. The new model Rav is out now so older models will depreciate more. I'd sell it & get the new diesel Kia Sorento. It's a top 4x4.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Hi,

From reading previous debates about this I always came away with the notion that the import duty was really hefty. Something like 15% of the value of the car when you paid for it, not it's current market value now.
I'm sure many others will be able to quote the exact figure, but it was clearly a big chunk of money to pay out.

Graham
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Could be right. It depends on the value of the vehicle. They charged me import duty of 15% of the FOB price and then GST of 10% of the CIF price on top of that. My car was valued at around AUD30,000, and all in all it cost me around AUD10,000 to bring it over from Japan.

Cars are much cheaper in Japan, so it was worth doing for me. Used cars do seem to hold their value in Australia. I liked the car and I'd only had it a year, so, like you, I thought it would be worthwhile. No regrets there. Good luck, and make sure you get reliable people to deal with it all.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:44 pm
Tiny Member

tucs is on a distinguished road

look into this carefully, i checked everything to bring my Mercedes CLK over, import tax luxury car tax and some other tax. Got the impresion they just dont want you to bring cars over.
There have been a few threads on this do a search and make your mind up, but i gave up as it was not worth the cost.

best of luck

forgot to say, i even had a removal company that was going to put the car in a 40ft with the house contents, this saved money but still not worth it after the tax
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy
Hi,

From reading previous debates about this I always came away with the notion that the import duty was really hefty. Something like 15% of the value of the car when you paid for it, not it's current market value now.
I'm sure many others will be able to quote the exact figure, but it was clearly a big chunk of money to pay out.

Graham
If it works out to be a lower figure, I think you can get them to value it at local market value (you have to pay the fee for the valuer, and local market value tends to be pretty high for used cars over here, and you don't know until it's too late). I think it's 15% duty plus 10% GST on top of that.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

We googled and found a company that specifically imports cars. They calculated the cut off point for us so we knew if we sold at a certain price it was better to sell than bring it.

Regretted not bringing it in the end as we could have loaded it up and put other stuff in the container and we miss that car, particularly as the one we bought over here was rubbish.

I'd find out the cut off price and then think about the convenience of bringing a car you know works and you happen to love.

Think I found the one we used:

http://www.carshippingtoaustralia.co...orthwhile.html

Hope it helps.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:26 am
sullysdownunder

wayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to beholdwayne/kerrie is a splendid one to behold

sorry to jump on to the thread but what about the other way round we have purchased a car in aus has anyone ever taken a car to the uk ....im only asking at the moment just in case we do decide to go back.... :scared:

cheers kez x
Old Aug 29th 2006, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by flip
We googled and found a company that specifically imports cars. They calculated the cut off point for us so we knew if we sold at a certain price it was better to sell than bring it.

Regretted not bringing it in the end as we could have loaded it up and put other stuff in the container and we miss that car, particularly as the one we bought over here was rubbish.

I'd find out the cut off price and then think about the convenience of bringing a car you know works and you happen to love.

Think I found the one we used:

http://www.carshippingtoaustralia.co...orthwhile.html

Hope it helps.

Thanks for that info!! Still cant decide but leaning more towards the bring it rather than leave it!!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 6:51 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that info!! Still cant decide but leaning more towards the bring it rather than leave it!!
Have you thought about what you're gonna do when it comes to selling it... having hte only Diesel Rav4 in Australia might not be such a good thing when it comes to valuing
Old Aug 29th 2006, 8:33 am
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thought you should read Rogers experience on shipping a car before making your decision (he's number 14 on thread)
Andrea
x

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=393354
Old Aug 29th 2006, 8:43 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be concerned about resale value and also the cost if parts as you say there will be a delay as they source parts. There could also be insurance impliations with an imported car which could cost you more and you mayhave to have modifications made to it before you can use it.

The problem is as someone else said, many of the costs you just don't find out about until you are not in a position to do anything other than pay them.

Lynn
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by movetoperth
I'd be concerned about resale value and also the cost if parts as you say there will be a delay as they source parts. There could also be insurance impliations with an imported car which could cost you more and you mayhave to have modifications made to it before you can use it.

The problem is as someone else said, many of the costs you just don't find out about until you are not in a position to do anything other than pay them.

Lynn
The insurance aspect is probably a really good point. When you enquire about quotes the car will not be listed on any Aussie databases, as not a standard vehicle, so it will immediately be raised as a special quote. That will doubtless end up costing more than a known vehicle.

Graham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.