Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Seriously thinking of making the move to Oz on my own...

Seriously thinking of making the move to Oz on my own...

Old Mar 3rd 2012, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seriously thinking of making the move to Oz on my own...

Originally Posted by campervanfan
good for you- you'd think people were trying to put you off wouldn't you

if its what you want go for it- you just need to do as much research as you can first- my daughter went over a couple of years ago same age as you- she's doing great & loving it!!!!! (& earning much more than she would here too ) and several of her mates have done the same- only you know what you want out of it whether its temp or permanent in the end- good luck!!
Australia's economy is in much better shape than the UK at the monent, which some people are quite precious about.

However Australia has a Labor government about to push through the worlds biggest carbon tax... things could get very rocky very quickly.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I'm not sure where you got the idea that Australia almost completely avoided the recession ? Mining is doing well but most other sectors are struggling big time. I'm also not sure where Queensland is going to get 200 odd billion dollars to spend on railways ?
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Australia had only one quater of negative GDP growth, technically you have to have two in a row to be in a recession. Australia's GDP is recording growth every quarter, and therefore Australia has avoided the recession.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:10 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes as I have said before Australia did technically avoid a recession but as even you would agree many people have been seriously hit by the GFC especially those in retail, tourism and manufacturing.

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Australia had only one quater of negative GDP growth, technically you have to have two in a row to be in a recession. Australia's GDP is recording growth every quarter, and therefore Australia has avoided the recession.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 7:22 am
Just Joined

lizzieq is an unknown quantity at this point

Some more info for you. One of our daughters (27 at the time) came out here 2 years ago, by herself, not knowing a soul. She had a WHV, although she is an accountant but at the time didn't want to apply for a Skilled Migrants.
She met people virtually straight away at the hostel she stayed at, who formed the basis of what is now a huge network of friends. She has just been granted her PR, based on her Accountancy qualifications & is hugely happy. Lives in Sydney.
Our son (25 at the time) also came out 18 months ago, and again, is very happy. Loves the lifestyle as he is very sporty. Again, lives in Sydney but although he now has a large circle of friends, he did have his sister & her group to help him settle in.
We have been out in Queensland for the past year - intended to go back NOW, & have decided to stay for a few years to come. Again because of the opportunity to do so much because of the weather more than anything else.
If you decide to give it a go - join as many clubs as you can, never say no to invitations, take the opportunity to try new things.
the Australians are so generous with their hospitality you will soon get to know people. Even if you go back after a couple of years, at least you will have tried it & will have some good memories to go back with.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 2:26 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

get a linkedin profile my husband is in railways and that's how he got his job, try and get a 457 visa that means your employer sponsors you it's a useful try before you buy one.There are quite a few jobs in rail at present
as has been said lots going in Perth

wages are not that much more than the UK my husband actually took a pay cut but made up for that with LAFHA
good luck
and remember the saying same shit shinier bucket! although at present the sunshine has fled
Old Mar 5th 2012, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by davie-t
Hello all, I have played with the idea of going to Australia for the past 2 years but now I'm seriously thinking of taking the bull by the horns and going. The thing is I'd be going by myself as I have no family of my own. I have a gf but its fairly recent and she is not ready to do it.

I'm a 26 year old civil engineering graduate with almost 3 years experience in the rail sector. Was at a job fair recently and heard there is $215bn to be spend on rail in Queensland so I'm fairly sure I'll get a job ok.

The thing I'm worried about is going to a new town/country thousands of miles from my family/friends who I have spent my whole life with. Its going to be weird having noone to talk to/go out with. My plan would be to join an amateur football team and maybe a kickboxing club (things I do over here just now) and get to know people that way and through work. But I imagine it will still feel awkward and take a long time to settle. But I'm still willing to give it a shot and if it goes 'tits up' I can always come home in a year or 2.

Has anyone got any good/bad experiences they can share?
The company i work for is an engineering consultancy looking to do a recruitment drive in the UK soon. it may be a bit late in the day but if you want to know more send me a pm. the email i got from our recruitment manager mentioned 1 march as a deadline but maybe she has some availability still
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all, I have played with the idea of going to Australia for the past 2 years but now I'm seriously thinking of taking the bull by the horns and going. The thing is I'd be going by myself as I have no family of my own. I have a gf but its fairly recent and she is not ready to do it.

I'm a 26 year old civil engineering graduate with almost 3 years experience in the rail sector. Was at a job fair recently and heard there is $215bn to be spend on rail in Queensland so I'm fairly sure I'll get a job ok.

The thing I'm worried about is going to a new town/country thousands of miles from my family/friends who I have spent my whole life with. Its going to be weird having noone to talk to/go out with. My plan would be to join an amateur football team and maybe a kickboxing club (things I do over here just now) and get to know people that way and through work. But I imagine it will still feel awkward and take a long time to settle. But I'm still willing to give it a shot and if it goes 'tits up' I can always come home in a year or 2.

I wouldn't worry too much just do it at your age there is little to lose with the chance of a lot to gain.

Don't know about meaningful friendships that depends but again with your age contacts readily available.

Don't wait just do it. Plenty come out and do their two years for often little money as backpackers and if you have the chance to do it through decently paid work then really a no brainer.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 9:27 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I didn't say you should and I am not your "mate" and don't really like being called that,thanks.
Sheesh ... ease up mate
Old Mar 5th 2012, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Becs2010 is just really niceBecs2010 is just really niceBecs2010 is just really niceBecs2010 is just really niceBecs2010 is just really niceBecs2010 is just really niceBecs2010 is just really niceBecs2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kalenge
Sheesh ... ease up mate
I know!! I would seriously consider my intentions of coming on here and replying to people's threads if that was the best I could give..
Old Mar 5th 2012, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Becs2010
I know!! I would seriously consider my intentions of coming on here and replying to people's threads if that was the best I could give..
You don't see the irony in that post?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

I haven't read the rest of the thread at this stage but I just saw the title and had to jump in with some personal experience. I emigrated here at age 34 about ummm (whistle) 26 years ago, on my own, without a job, without anywhere to live, knowing only one person though I had done a visit for a few months prior and made some contacts. Back then, it wasn't so common for a woman to up sticks and go off on her own like that, plus being perennially 20 years behind the times here, it was very much a man's world then and especially so in the industry I was in (international shipping). Well, I found a great flat by Sydney harbour within 2 days of arriving then after the long Christmas shut-down here (you'll get to know about that ) I landed a great job with a company car and quite good money, did well for myself. A year after arrival I bought my first small apartment up at the Northern Beaches. Won't drone on about all the in-between but I am about to sell my current Sydney home and get a proper house with a garden in the Blue Mountains and start winding down a bit. Of late the job situation has been difficult as technology has sped forward and the GenX and GenY have overtaken me. I'm a strong personality and have survived some "interesting times" as the Chinese would say. I've travelled a lot and had an interesting life and done some fascinating things with all sorts of different people and I'm quite sure it wouldn't have happened this way if I'd stayed safely in my little rut in England. Whatever way it turns out, you won't regret it. So go for it! Really, with no commitments, and youth on your side, what have you got to lose?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
So is it hard / scarce to get booze from a shop or something?
Most of the booze outlets are owned by coles or woolworths (the big 2 supermarkets). Its not a big deal to buy booze, the liquor store is generally next to the supermarket with a entrance from the supermarket in some cases!! Its not like you have to drive a thousand miles to find booze. Most high streets have a booze shop and if they dont you can buy takeaway from the pub :-)
Old Mar 6th 2012, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
Most of the booze outlets are owned by coles or woolworths (the big 2 supermarkets). Its not a big deal to buy booze, the liquor store is generally next to the supermarket with a entrance from the supermarket in some cases!! Its not like you have to drive a thousand miles to find booze. Most high streets have a booze shop and if they dont you can buy takeaway from the pub :-)
Cheers

I'd heard it was a different culture in terms of drinking but I still wanted to keep a stock of a few crates of beer and bottles of wine etc etc for when I get a flat / house sorted. Love the idea of just having bbq's whenever inviting neighbours / any mates round that I've heard it can be like.....it can be like that can't it?
Old Mar 6th 2012, 9:34 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
Cheers

I'd heard it was a different culture in terms of drinking but I still wanted to keep a stock of a few crates of beer and bottles of wine etc etc for when I get a flat / house sorted. Love the idea of just having bbq's whenever inviting neighbours / any mates round that I've heard it can be like.....it can be like that can't it?
of course it can.....you just need a big umbrella
Old Mar 6th 2012, 9:45 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Dan, I have to say reading your posts on various threads I love the kind of thing you're worrying about It's probably the best way to be, really.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.