Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A serious thread about Lettuce

A serious thread about Lettuce

Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:39 am
ABCDiamond

Default A serious thread about Lettuce

OK, we have all laughed about Lettuce on this forum, however....

I just did a google search on "Price of Lettuce' half expecting this forum to come up near the top, but it didn't well not yet anyway, but if we concentrate more we will get it there

Anyway back to my point....

An article in the Washington Post , about:- The USA Bureau of Labor Statistics yesterday unveiled an experimental version of the CPI (consumer price index) .

To explain the experimental index, Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) used the example of a shopper buying two heads of lettuce, one of romaine and one of iceberg, both selling for $1... etc etc...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...rm/cpi/cpi.htm

See, its not just us

or, what have we started ?????

Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Attached Thumbnails A serious thread about Lettuce-let-wince-.jpg  
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:21 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, now Im worried :scared: .

But did they mention the crime rate as well? LOL.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Crime Rate??? Is there a high crime rate amongst lettuces then? Or do you mean people committing crime in order to be able to afford them??
Can just hear the copper approaching now......."Come on, let us be 'aving you, you nasty vicious vegetable........."

(gosh that beer was strong, I'm talking more dross than usual!)
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
OK, now Im worried :scared: .

But did they mention the crime rate as well? LOL.
It suprised the heck out me too. I never expected that both the British Expats AND the United States Bureau of Statistics would use the price of lettuce in such a similar way.

The United States Bureau of Statistics didn't mention crime, they seem more interested in the price of lettuce

Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:57 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Hands up who gets lettuce so cheaply we just hack off any slightly bad bits and have a head each? (Cut in 4, a good mouthful, delicious with the right dressing.)

Me!!!
Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:04 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Pollyana
Crime Rate??? Is there a high crime rate amongst lettuces then? Or do you mean people committing crime in order to be able to afford them??
Can just hear the copper approaching now......."Come on, let us be 'aving you, you nasty vicious vegetable........."

Nah, surely you've heard about those international lettuce-smuggling gangs? They recruit students, asylum seekers etc as 'mules' and make them swallow lettuces wrapped in condoms...

Guy in the paper the other week got 25 years for handling stolen Little Gems....

And in Norfolk, 15 teenagers were arrested last week for 'scoring' Icebergs at a rave.

So you see, lettuce crime is all around us, Polly.

Anya.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Hands up who gets lettuce so cheaply we just hack off any slightly bad bits and have a head each? (Cut in 4, a good mouthful, delicious with the right dressing.)

Me!!!
Me too
Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally posted by Pollyana

Ouch! I've just caught a lettuce trying to break into my car!

Got a good look at him though. He was about 6ins tall, green and wearing a small blob of salad cream & a slug.....
Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:40 pm
Don
Banned

Was he from Greenland?
Old Apr 28th 2004, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really niceCaroline G is just really nice

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Was he from Greenland?
No, he had more of a Northern Irish accent....
Old Apr 28th 2004, 8:03 pm
Don
Banned

I think we normally pay about 15p a head.

And there's a beer war on at the moment in the supermarkets: we're getting some goodies for approx 25p a big can half litre @ 5% abv, I think they are just the normal brews disguised as something else.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:10 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally posted by Caroline G
Ouch! I've just caught a lettuce trying to break into my car!

Got a good look at him though. He was about 6ins tall, green and wearing a small blob of salad cream & a slug.....
Don't worry... policeman has caught the car thief

Copper said "lettuce be aving you ..........you're nicked"

Phoenixuk2oz

Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:18 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Puk, just slightly off topic, where abouts in Brisbane are you headed? I didnt realise that you were coming here & so soon .

But of course once people get here, you do realise that they never let us back out, dont you
Old Apr 28th 2004, 11:19 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Don't worry... policeman has caught the car thief

Copper said "lettuce be aving you ..........you're nicked"

Phoenixuk2oz
I hope the criminal gets a severe dressing down from the judge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.