Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SERIOUS STUFF - What's the fishing like?

SERIOUS STUFF - What's the fishing like?

Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

chriso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SERIOUS STUFF - What's the fishing like?

I can imagine the coastal fishing to be great but is it worth taking my river fishing gear to Oz?
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:43 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SERIOUS STUFF - What's the fishing like?

Originally Posted by chriso
I can imagine the coastal fishing to be great but is it worth taking my river fishing gear to Oz?

I caught one [........................] this big

I am not a fisherman but a lot of people I know rave about it.
Both sea and river.
The crocs would love to inspect your river gear
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bix
I caught one [........................] this big

I am not a fisherman but a lot of people I know rave about it.
Both sea and river.
The crocs would love to inspect your river gear
Not sure I'd like to catch one that big!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

They'd love to catch you though!!!! :scared:

Seriously, I suppose it all depends upon whereabouts you are going to settle in Australia, as to what sort of fishing you will be doing and what sort of tackle you will need.

Ste and our lad have taken up fishing, wouldn't dream of going to the local river though - too many baddies out there waiting around for a tasty morsel!!!

Sea fishing seems to be the go, whether it be off the local jetty or going out on a charter for the day - probably catch better specimens ( or whatever you fishies like to call 'em ) that way too!

Our's have caught a good few shark, cat fish etc amongst other things and the Barra up this way are MEGA huge - Lake Tinaroo's 'Barra Bash' comp weighed in some humungous beasts!

Good luck!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:25 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

There is a lot of sea and estuary fishing here around Brisbane and it is popular. There is little river fishing that I know of - certainly not coarse fishing like England. There is a fair bit of fishing in freshwater dams (lakes), though I think most of that requires permits. Try here for more info.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:31 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

I use to go surf fishing for many years.. we normally caught whiting, bream, butterbream (swallow tail?), flathead (yum!), sweetlip and tailor... and the odd wobbegong shark!!! http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/st...cus/gwobbe.htm
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
I use to go surf fishing for many years.. we normally caught whiting, bream, butterbream (swallow tail?), flathead (yum!), sweetlip and tailor... and the odd wobbegong shark!!! http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/st...cus/gwobbe.htm
Thanks for the links! Exactly what I was looking for. Looks like great sport. Now all I have to do is get sorted with the visa stuff.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:49 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the links! Exactly what I was looking for. Looks like great sport. Now all I have to do is get sorted with the visa stuff.

I have to admit, I've not fished at all since I moved to the UK.... but I'm keen to dig out my old surf rod and alvey side cast reel from my parents garage and give it a good overhall when I get back to Brisbane in April...

Think there are bag limits now on how many/what size etc of each type of fish you can take now... to stop the greedy buggers to who take take take, freeze the fish.. and then chuck it all out

this is a handy link for all fisher-persons http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2876.html
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 12:59 pm
"Goodbye Circus!"

fairgoes has a spectacular aura aboutfairgoes has a spectacular aura aboutfairgoes has a spectacular aura about

If you want to have a good look at Aussie fishing, go to the Health and Leisure Channel on Sky (channel 133) 7am, and have a look at Rex Hunt Fishing Adventures. It a good watch, and he covers all aspects of fishing in Australia.

Don't forget to kiss the fish!
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

Heres my bro in Perth with a Sambo :scared:

I can't wait to get out there and hook me one of these

Rex Hunt is my fav programme. I watch it everyday without fail! Its a great taste of the fishing over there. Its Home and Leisure channel
Attached Thumbnails SERIOUS STUFF - What's the fishing like?-john_sambo.jpg  

Last edited by leedslad; Feb 22nd 2005 at 1:08 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by leedslad
Heres my bro in Perth with a Sambo :scared:

I can't wait to get out there and hook me one of these

Rex Hunt is my fav programme. I watch it everyday without fail! Its a great taste of the fishing over there. Its Home and Leisure channel
Looks a tad better than the 2 flounder I got yesterday whilst testing the brass monkey theory. :scared:
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on where you go there is a lot of freshwater fishing.

Anywhere south of mid Queensland will have lots of carp. they are considered a pest and you have to kill them.

In victoria you will also find European perch (redfins) Roach and some tench.
WA has carp and perch. SA has perch and some tench. Carp are everywhere.

Apart from these imports you will find Yellowbellies (golden Perch) , Tilapia (also a pest), Murray cod, freshwater australian bass, Murray cod, Silver perch etc.etc. The speceis vary depending on the local climate.There also other species such as Catfish.

There are also a lot of trout in NSW ,SA,tasmania,victoria and some in WA.

Golden perch can grow to over 20lbs. so these are serious fish!! Murray cod used to be caught uo to 200 LBS. but are more rare now.

Many states have a stocking policy in impoundments (reservoirs). It would help if you could be specific about where you intend to live.

Tight lines

G
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:08 pm
stuck in twilight

pike is on a distinguished road

Id take the lot there's always some were you would wan't to try different tackle or rods try pluggin for crocks give you some good sport.
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pike
Id take the lot there's always some were you would wan't to try different tackle or rods try pluggin for crocks give you some good sport.
It's sounding good - how will i fit work in as well?

Another question do they run permit schemes on the rivers or stillwaters?
Old Feb 23rd 2005, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

a.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant futurea.dunn50 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Grayling
Depending on where you go there is a lot of freshwater fishing.

Anywhere south of mid Queensland will have lots of carp. they are considered a pest and you have to kill them.

In victoria you will also find European perch (redfins) Roach and some tench.
WA has carp and perch. SA has perch and some tench. Carp are everywhere.

Apart from these imports you will find Yellowbellies (golden Perch) , Tilapia (also a pest), Murray cod, freshwater australian bass, Murray cod, Silver perch etc.etc. The speceis vary depending on the local climate.There also other species such as Catfish.

There are also a lot of trout in NSW ,SA,tasmania,victoria and some in WA.

Golden perch can grow to over 20lbs. so these are serious fish!! Murray cod used to be caught uo to 200 LBS. but are more rare now.

Many states have a stocking policy in impoundments (reservoirs). It would help if you could be specific about where you intend to live.

Tight lines

G
some great info G i want to take my coarse,fly and sea fishing tackle to aus, but ive heard that taking your fishing gear is a no no,from customs ahhhhhh,im going to perth and found out that lake fishing is ok there too,this got me thinking about taking my stuff,was wondering what your ideas on it would be and could u give me any idea of fish to catch in perth ie lake and swan river? it would be much appreciated yours alan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.