Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Serious question.. Am I 'safe' to go running? PERTH

Serious question.. Am I 'safe' to go running? PERTH

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 8:57 am
Lovin it!!!!!!!!!

somedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to all
Question Serious question.. Am I 'safe' to go running? PERTH

I am by no means an avid runner, but i do like to have a bit of a go. Here in South Oxfordshire we are quite rural and i run every other day, am wary... but seems safe enough.

I was kinda really looking forward to running down the coast takin in the view, but after thinking about it dont know if I will feel safe. My OH also runs, but of course hes male and its not an issue for him.

How many of you guys wouldn't as a safety issue? Have you come across any issues/stories? Or should I feel as 'safe' as i do here?

Anyone?

Cheers Paula
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serious question.. Am I 'safe' to go running? PERTH

Yes.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Watty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to allWatty'n'Arls is a name known to all

Hi Paula

When we went for a visit in May we saw men and women on a daily basis out running. We saw them in allsorts of places, Kings Park, North side beaches and coastal roads, southside beaches and coastal road.

Obviously I couldnt give you a national statistic but it looked safe enough. I assume you would take the same safety measures there as you would here.

Cheers

Watty'n'arls
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:06 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by somedogsdo
I am by no means an avid runner, but i do like to have a bit of a go. Here in South Oxfordshire we are quite rural and i run every other day, am wary... but seems safe enough.

I was kinda really looking forward to running down the coast takin in the view, but after thinking about it dont know if I will feel safe. My OH also runs, but of course hes male and its not an issue for him.

How many of you guys wouldn't as a safety issue? Have you come across any issues/stories? Or should I feel as 'safe' as i do here?

Anyone?

Cheers Paula
Well i don't run but i have been know to walk, I've never stopped to wonder if its safe (other than i'll have a heart attack in the heat), i also take the dog down to the dog beach and never think anything of it even if the beach is deserted.

Lynn
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Totally safe, Perth's a great place to be a runner - I run about 40km a week.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 9:50 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Anyone?

Cheers Paula
Your safe as long as you can jog fast enough to outrun all the murders, rapists and muggers.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 10:28 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Your safe as long as you can jog fast enough to outrun all the murders, rapists and muggers.

Old Aug 2nd 2006, 11:18 am
Lovin it!!!!!!!!!

somedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to allsomedogsdo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy

thanks for the reasuring words, but unfortunatley i'm not that goodl.

Renth, I'll be watching out for you then, you must be as 'fit as a fiddle'

cheers Lynn, Watty'n'Arls

Paula

Last edited by somedogsdo; Aug 2nd 2006 at 11:20 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2006, 12:04 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone?

Cheers Paula
Hi Paula

You will not believe the amount of runners and walkers along the coast road at all times of the day. I run at 5.30am up to Hillary's and there are many women about, even at that time.
Admittedly most are in pairs, but that's so they can have a social chat/run I suspect. On the weekends and early evenings there are many, many women alone, my wife is one of them..... you'll love it!

Neil.
Old Aug 3rd 2006, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone?

Cheers Paula
Perth has a running club called hash house harriers, they are all over the world and its basically for drinkers with a running problem, one of the main men to contact is SILVER FOX get on the web and find out where they meet. Its great fun and you get to meet hundreds of like minded people of all running abilities. Give it a go its a thoroughly enjoyable experience and a great way to kick start your social life.

Sam
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:12 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future

I have never felt unsafe running here whether it's just round the streets or along the track from Burns Beach to Ocean Reef. There are lots of runners, skaters and walkers out there.
When I first came and wasn't very sure I used to carry a tiny canister of pepper spray with me (which came on a key ring and cost $30 from a key cutting place in Karrinyup shopping centre) As I would have my mp3 player plugged in my ears my hubby was dreading that anyone tapped me on the shoulder to ask me the time.......

Just take the same precautions you would take anywhere.
Yvonne
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samnsam
Perth has a running club called hash house harriers, they are all over the world and its basically for drinkers with a running problem, one of the main men to contact is SILVER FOX get on the web and find out where they meet. Its great fun and you get to meet hundreds of like minded people of all running abilities. Give it a go its a thoroughly enjoyable experience and a great way to kick start your social life.

Sam
i agree-here in hobart there are 5 or 6 hash clubs-great fun and a good way to meet the locals and have a few pints of neck oil after
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:19 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Well i don't run but i have been know to walk, I've never stopped to wonder if its safe (other than i'll have a heart attack in the heat), i also take the dog down to the dog beach and never think anything of it even if the beach is deserted.

Lynn
My missus took the dogs to one of the Ocean Reef beaches during the day a couple of months back (naughty I know, but we always clear up!). There was no one else there. Then a guy appeared, took every stitch of clothing off and went for a dip. Aside of the humourous aspect, she was somewhat disconcerted, as she was convinced that it was a 'performance' for her.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 4:21 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bal56
My missus took the dogs to one of the Ocean Reef beaches during the day a couple of months back (naughty I know, but we always clear up!). There was no one else there. Then a guy appeared, took every stitch of clothing off and went for a dip. Aside of the humourous aspect, she was somewhat disconcerted, as she was convinced that it was a 'performance' for her.
Could of been Renth
Old Aug 4th 2006, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

Location: UK to Crete, Back to UK and moved to Perth in March 2006 - yippee! Loving it!!!
adenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud of

I regularly walk and jog alone. Admittedly, I was nervous at first having been attacked in the UK but I feel completely safe here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.