Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

a serious question about australia...

Wikiposts

a serious question about australia...

Old Mar 16th 2004, 11:05 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by badgersmount
I had a Creme Egg the other week. It was the first time I'd noticed after almost 15 months that Chocolate does taste different over here.

Tim Tams taste better than Penguins. And they come in more varieties other than 'plain', like double choc, caramel etc.

The good thing about Cadburys over here is that there are more varieties it seems eg Snack, Honeycomb Crisp etc

Badge
they've just brought out a cadburys mint chocolate crispy thing over here,... think matchmakers in bars!! mmmmm... erm. not that i eat chocolate you understand...
Old Mar 16th 2004, 11:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by badgersmount

Tim Tams taste better than Penguins. And they come in more varieties other than 'plain', like double choc, caramel etc.

Badge
Yeah, and there's even the Alchohol varieties now, Tia Maria etc

Old Mar 16th 2004, 11:23 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

My sister showed me the way to eat Tim Tams:

You nibble off two opposite corners, dip one of these corners in your coffe and suck coffee through the other nibbled corner, only very briefly then scoff the Tim Tam before it disintegrates!

Very nice... anyone else do this? Her Aussie friend showed her so I wasn't sure if it's an Aussie thing or just an individual quirk.

Elaine M
Old Mar 16th 2004, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the last time that the chocolate thing came up, the consensus was that the different taste was due to the use of Cane sugar, rather than the refined sugar in the UK.

You do get used to it though, but you need to persevere and make sure you are eating some every day.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 11:31 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Elaine M
My sister showed me the way to eat Tim Tams:

You nibble off two opposite corners, dip one of these corners in your coffe and suck coffee through the other nibbled corner, only very briefly then scoff the Tim Tam before it disintegrates!

Very nice... anyone else do this? Her Aussie friend showed her so I wasn't sure if it's an Aussie thing or just an individual quirk.

Elaine M
i saw natalie unbruglia (or however it's spelt) on graham norton doing that too!! a bit messy if you ask me....
Old Mar 16th 2004, 11:34 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by scutterUK
i saw natalie unbruglia (or however it's spelt) on graham norton doing that too!! a bit messy if you ask me....
Not if you do it quickly

I have to say I think the originals are better for this than the Tia Maria ones.

Elaine M
Old Mar 16th 2004, 12:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Must be an aussie thing Elaine, lots of people over here do it .

Someone promised to bring me some chocolate from the UK because they thought I had led a deprived life because I hadnt had any *decent* chocolate (ie UK chocolate). Unfortunately I have NO clue who it was that said they would bring it, so I cant even go around & harrass them for it .
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:01 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I think Aussie chocolate is probably better than UK and certainly much more variety
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by jayr
I think Aussie chocolate is probably better than UK and certainly much more variety
I bet you like vegemite aswell

Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:21 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scutterUK
...ah bugger. that puts me in a right position then *scoffing those creme eggs*

what could i by in the uk for a die hard chocoholic that she can't get in aus?

any ideas?
Although you can get creme eggs here, the chocolate is horrible. I sent out an SOS to my mother and she sent me some from England. Your friend still might appreciate English Cadburys chocolate. They use the same advert on the telly as last years in the UK.

Jane
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:25 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy

Someone promised to bring me some chocolate from the UK because they thought I had led a deprived life because I hadnt had any *decent* chocolate (ie UK chocolate). Unfortunately I have NO clue who it was that said they would bring it, so I cant even go around & harrass them for it .
It was me! I didn't say you were deprived , just that English Cadbury's tastes better. My mother sent me some last week and its still in the fridge. I'll bring some on Sunday. Not all UK chocolate is decent (or better than Oz chocolate!), but UK Cadburys is.

Jane

Last edited by JaneandJim; Mar 16th 2004 at 1:29 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2004, 1:42 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
I bet you like vegemite aswell

I don't like Mar or Vege mite (bleeuhhh!)
Old Mar 16th 2004, 2:22 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by JaneandJim
It was me! I didn't say you were deprived , just that English Cadbury's tastes better. My mother sent me some last week and its still in the fridge. I'll bring some on Sunday. Not all UK chocolate is decent (or better than Oz chocolate!), but UK Cadburys is.

Jane
LOL, I didnt say you said I was deprived, I think you thought it though . I have to admit, I dont eat very much chocolate, but if I do, its almost always Cadburys Dairy Milk (Aussie version of course), so it will interesting to see if I can taste the difference.

I had some really nice handmade chocolates that Dagboy bought me for my birthday (or something) a while back, ohhhhh now they were nice!! After eating those, Cadburys tasted like sawdust!
Old Mar 16th 2004, 3:31 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

I was expecting the Cadbury's to taste different here but it doesn't - and a couple of expat peeps agree - why teh difference between Oz and NZ do you think?

I would have thought they would have been in the same distribution area for Cadburys
Old Mar 16th 2004, 5:08 pm
Born to be ignored

Originally posted by Pollster
I was expecting the Cadbury's to taste different here but it doesn't - and a couple of expat peeps agree - why teh difference between Oz and NZ do you think?

I would have thought they would have been in the same distribution area for Cadburys
I think they put something in it to stop it melting in OZ. Don't suppose they need to in New Zealand. I don't eat chocolate now, except for Mcvities Chocolate Digestives because they're the same as in the UK.

Jane

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.