Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Serious Q from my 11 year old !

Wikiposts

Serious Q from my 11 year old !

Old Dec 29th 2005, 1:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Serious Q from my 11 year old !

Originally Posted by copa
ARe you sure?

In 33 years I have not seen a single hamster for sale in NSW.
Can't find the info tho I've been told that you can get them down there - The Bloke has offered to smuggle one over the border for me - thats lurve for you!!
http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/pests/pest...ited_pets.html
is the Qld info

Jensteve may be the ones with the answer - been looking through old posts and it seems they have a pet shop......!!
Old Dec 29th 2005, 1:14 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Watched a programme that said rats dribble pee constantly although they do seem very tame.

Guinea Pigs are good we had them as kids and you can train them to come to you and also if you whistle they chirrup back, not quite as friendly as a rat though.

So are the Aussies frightened the hamsters may take over Aus as well? Why the ban? What about gerbils they are ok but stink a bit?
Old Dec 29th 2005, 2:18 pm
superam74

Buy her a kangaroo & tell her it's a rare giant hamster

Old Dec 29th 2005, 3:14 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by annqldau
What about gerbils they are ok but stink a bit?
Hamsters, Gerbils and Chinchillas are completely banned in Australia.

Guinea Pigs, Mice and Rats are allowed as pets, at least in QLD.

Old Dec 29th 2005, 6:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just wait till I get my hands on the person who said I could smuggle one from down south Another good reason to move back home
Old Dec 29th 2005, 6:15 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
Actually i think that pet rats are much nicer.
Easier to handle (they actually come out of the cage to see you where hamsters run away!) and much less likely to bite you (never been bitten by a rat but i have had loads of hamster bites (which really hurt!!))

most people are worried about rats because they think of sewer rats (yuck!) but pet rats are nothing like them and i think they make a better pet for a child than hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils etc (i have owned all of these and much prefer the rats!).

Tiggs
Exactly right. We kept rats for years in the UK but since coming here we've only had time for a goldfish

Meet Charlie and Nugget:
Attached Thumbnails Serious Q from my 11 year old !-charlie-nugget.jpg