Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Serious Q from my 11 year old !

Serious Q from my 11 year old !

Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about
Default Serious Q from my 11 year old !

Hi all,

We've made a couple of trips over to Oz and with a bit of luck I should have my 136 granted by the end of Jan 06 with a view to move to Perth later on in the year. My 11 year old Daughter is Hamster mad and we've been advised that you cannot buy them in Australia ? Is this true guys ? If so she wants a RAT !!! :scared:
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all
Default Re: Serious Q from my 11 year old !

Originally Posted by Swing-Your-Pants
Hi all,

We've made a couple of trips over to Oz and with a bit of luck I should have my 136 granted by the end of Jan 06 with a view to move to Perth later on in the year. My 11 year old Daughter is Hamster mad and we've been advised that you cannot buy them in Australia ? Is this true guys ? If so she wants a RAT !!! :scared:
Oh my god dont say that...its how i have bribed my 10 year old into going there with " i will get you that hamster you have always wanted when we get to oz"
But i aint doing no rat :scared:
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:37 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

I here there's lots of rats in Perth.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

clanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to allclanwylie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bix
I here there's lots of rats in Perth.
Pet ones?
Old Dec 29th 2005, 10:44 am
ABCDiamond

How about a Guinea Pig ? Most pet shops sell them here.

Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

You can not buy hamsters in Australia.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:39 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha - my 11 year olds' serious question beat that one - wastching Series 2 of Little Britain on Xmas day that we'd bought him, junior is watching a Dafydd scene and asks in total honesty and seriousness "what's minge then?" - I deftly decided to have a quick swig of coffee and let Mrs Ann get out of that one
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The rules are different depending on the State. I don't know about WA, I'm afraid - I know that they are illegal in Qld , but OK in NSW. There are a few threads about it going back a couple of years - I'll try and search later when I've sorted The Bloke and his new Internet banking thing
Old Dec 29th 2005, 12:46 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Obviously that good old band 'The Pet Shop Boys' couln't have originated in QLD then
Old Dec 29th 2005, 1:53 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Can't find them in the WAQIS list so they are banned in WA too.

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/servlet/p...&p_appname_img=
Old Dec 29th 2005, 4:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You could be right Bix - gone back through all the old threads and can't find anyone who says they are allowed in WA
Old Dec 29th 2005, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about

Thanks all.

Oh dear, looks like its gonna be a Rat as a pet then :scared:
Old Dec 29th 2005, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

How come they are banned?? It seems strange if you can still get guinea pigs.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

copa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The rules are different depending on the State. I don't know about WA, I'm afraid - I know that they are illegal in Qld , but OK in NSW.
ARe you sure?

In 33 years I have not seen a single hamster for sale in NSW.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 9:28 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all.

Oh dear, looks like its gonna be a Rat as a pet then :scared:

Actually i think that pet rats are much nicer.
Easier to handle (they actually come out of the cage to see you where hamsters run away!) and much less likely to bite you (never been bitten by a rat but i have had loads of hamster bites (which really hurt!!))

most people are worried about rats because they think of sewer rats (yuck!) but pet rats are nothing like them and i think they make a better pet for a child than hamsters, guinea pigs, gerbils etc (i have owned all of these and much prefer the rats!).

Tiggs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.